Andy Hall

On Sat, 14 May 2005 20:00:05 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

So does that mean that our property is not registered, since we have the
title deeds? We've never had any communication from the Land Registry.

Not necessarily. If you look on their web site there are a number of
information notes which explain it. If it's not registered, then
the deeds are the defacto document of ownership. If it is, then it
was probably registered before the new Act, but the effect of the Act
is to make the Land Registry as opposed to the piece of paper
definitive.

You can easily check by spending £2 on their web site for a copy of
the entry.

With registered propoerty, charges against the property are recorded
by the Land Registry, which is the whole point of having a centralised
system.

So our deeds might be a legal document now but not when/if the house changes
hands?

Again if you read the inofrmation notes it explains what happens when
there is a change of ownership or some other registration/charge event
- e.g. remortgage..

This is fascinating.

Mary

--