Andy Hall

On Sun, 15 May 2005 20:41:24 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Andy Hall" wrote in message
.. .

I obviously miss so much by not having telly!

Mary

You don't you know.

Well, I do, really :-)

I travel a lot, as you know. In most places I can listen to R4 or
the World Service on the internet. I used to take a short wave
receiver with me but no need any more. I can get a reasonable
connection in most places - for example, I am not in the UK now.

We don't go abroad but I do always have a personal radio to listen to WS
through the night if it's a wakeful one.

Like a Wakefield one?

Through the day R4 is in every
room, even the greenhouse (solar/wind up powered). Away from home we have
those too.

When one is in a cultural and literal desert (or even dessert)

No - really ? !

like
California, being able to listen to Newshour is an oasis.
Somehow Owen Bennett-Jones and Robin Lustig (I went to school with
him)

Ooooh!

It's really not that sophisticated -- a Still Small Voice of Calm.

represent something of a stability in an uncertain world.

Yes ...

I'm a strong critic of anything with government or pseudo-government
involvement.

Me too.

This doesn't mean that I'm an

A what?

However, when I listen to
material from the BBC (and take out what is normally obvious bias), I
don't begrudge a penny of the licence fee.

Nor do I.

But there's no licence fee for radio!

I know, but I would pay one for the privilege of hearing Humpries and
Naughty in full flight.

Mary

--

..andy