doozer

Default Worst Tool Abuse / Misuse

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),
just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were never
intended to be tools (old credit cards make great grout spreaders)?

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.
Bob Eager

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 12:17:09 UTC, doozer
wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Stretching it a bit, perhaps...

1) Piece of copper tube
2) Workmate
3) G cramp

makes a nice cable reel stand when unrolling long lengths of cable and
pulling them.

http://www.diybanter.com

doozer wrote:
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses

for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as

chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),

just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were

never
intended to be tools (old credit cards make great grout spreaders)?

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks

of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

When you need to get a job done quick, dont have the right tools, and
the cost of sacrificing a cheap tool doesnt matter, all sorts can be
done. Last one of these involved cutting a screwdriver in half to get
2x 3" bits of steel rod. I made sure the victim was a 'black spur.'

NT

doozer

When you need to get a job done quick, dont have the right tools, and
the cost of sacrificing a cheap tool doesnt matter, all sorts can be
done. Last one of these involved cutting a screwdriver in half to get
2x 3" bits of steel rod. I made sure the victim was a 'black spur.'

NT

I don't know why but as I read that post just thought A-Team (perhaps
crossed with MacGyver).

Lost the alternator pivot bolt on my Lancia Montecarlo once. It's
impossible to get access to the nut with anything that has a handle
long enough to torque it adequately. The replacement had a Nyloc, as it
should have done from the first.

But standing in a layby on the A1, wondering where the charge and
waterflow have gone, you have to improvise. I still have the
screwdriver I used instead and apart from the flat spot that a pullety
wore into the handle, even the fact it was half the diameter it ought
to have been didn't matter over the next 200 miles.

Tim Lamb

In message , doozer
writes
When you need to get a job done quick, dont have the right tools, and
the cost of sacrificing a cheap tool doesnt matter, all sorts can be
done. Last one of these involved cutting a screwdriver in half to get
2x 3" bits of steel rod. I made sure the victim was a 'black spur.'
NT

I don't know why but as I read that post just thought A-Team (perhaps
crossed with MacGyver).

Some years ago (I won't say how many), I was puzzled by a HSE advert
showing a screwdriver inappropriately used to open a tin of paint. So
what should you use?

The other job looking for an appropriate tool is removing fencing
staples. Everyone I know uses a hammer and a point from a finger bar
mower (agricultural).

regards

--
Tim Lamb

Tim Lamb wrote:

The other job looking for an appropriate tool is removing fencing
staples. Everyone I know uses a hammer and a point from a finger bar
mower (agricultural).

Well, just to be different, I use electrical pincers and, if they're
not man enough for the job, a pair of blacksmiths pincers.

--
Chris Green
AlexW

doozer wrote:
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

I alluded to a bit of this on the thread you ref'd ...

Spoon or other cutlery = screwdriver

Huge old tyre lever = wrecking bar and "slab lever"

Chisel = scraper

Scraper = chisel

Screwy = chisel or scraper or tyre lever

Power drill = hand held "bodge" router.

Shortened (broken off) jisgaw blade for removing floorboard tongues when
circ. saw not handy (taught this one by a builder mate of mine).

Hammer = weight for lowering down flues to get a line in.

Weight in garage = hammer on occasion.

Brick = hammer when not in garage

Antique sheffield steel knife (with mods) = finger trowel (done by
builder mate ... wife very miffed).

Bath = mixer

.... I have given this sort of thing up for the most part now!

Alex
Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"doozer" wrote in message
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),
just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were never
intended to be tools (old credit cards make great grout spreaders)?

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

Abused many tools over the years

Cutting the corner of a small screwdriver so that it fits a really small
torks screw(didn't work so well)
using a cordless drill as a starter motor for a strimmer that was having
trouble starting (worked well)
Spanners used as hammers(much success)
cordless drill to hammer in a wall plugs (works but wouldn't recommend it)

used alot of stuff in the place of tools

bulldog clip as a screwdriver for computer case (worked but took ages)
Bit of metal from back of computer case as screwdriver(slightly better than
buldog clip)
Paperclip for screwdriver on computer case(useless)
Car keys for screwdriver on PC (somtimes worked)
Car keys to open boxes (works good)

Paul

doozer

AlexW wrote:
doozer wrote:

[...]

It was your post that really gave me the idea to start a new thread. I,
too, have used an old power drill as a router but they don't last long
(certainly wouldn't do that to my new drill).

Cheap and nasty spanners make great weights when trying to run a fishing
line for cable pulls because you have something to easily tie on to.

Wish I had known about the jigsaw trick when I had to lift a load of
floor boards.
AlexW

doozer wrote:

I,
too, have used an old power drill as a router but they don't last long
(certainly wouldn't do that to my new drill).

Mine was only casual gouging and it survived. You just know its wrong
but do it anyway ;-)

Cheap and nasty spanners make great weights when trying to run a fishing
line for cable pulls because you have something to easily tie on to.

I'll remember that one!

Wish I had known about the jigsaw trick when I had to lift a load of
floor boards.

Handle with care though. The reciprocating action can catch cables,
pipes and joists etc if the blade is too long. You also have to get it
started by puncturing the tongue ... if we are keeping with the spirit
of the thread this can be done with any old flat head screwy! I use my
circ. saw these days though.

doozer wrote:
AlexW wrote:
doozer wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I

haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative

uses
for a tool.

Does self defence count as tool abuse? A purely hypothetical question
of course.

NT

Ed Sirett

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:32:52 +0100, Paul ( Skiing8 ) wrote:

"doozer" wrote in message
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)

snip

cordless drill to hammer in a wall plugs (works but wouldn't recommend it)

The back end of my Makita seems to have a thicker part of the case
presumable designed with this abuse (which I own up to) in mind.

RzB

Well some time ago I tried to find out exactly what this tool was for...

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Odd-Pliers-W.jpg

general opinion was that it was for putting rings in pigs noses.

However there were suggestions that that it might be used
for some other seriously eye watering uses!

I think I claim this as the very worst misuse... :-)

Roy

Lobster

Bob Eager wrote:

1) Piece of copper tube
2) Workmate
3) G cramp

makes a nice cable reel stand when unrolling long lengths of cable and
pulling them.

Where does the G-cramp go?!

David

Lobster

Tim Lamb wrote:
Some years ago (I won't say how many), I was puzzled by a HSE advert
showing a screwdriver inappropriately used to open a tin of paint. So
what should you use?

You use the dinky little 'Leyland'-branded paint-tin opening tool which
was kindly thrust upon my missus when she picked up some mixed paint at
the Leyland shop, and asked them not to put the lids back on too tightly
cos she couldn't get them off. Thank heavens (on behalf of my car) they
refused and gave her the tool instead!

David

Bob Eager

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 18:49:52 UTC, Lobster
wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

1) Piece of copper tube
2) Workmate
3) G cramp

makes a nice cable reel stand when unrolling long lengths of cable and
pulling them.

Where does the G-cramp go?!

Are you *really* asking?

Open up WorkMate with jaws a few inches apart, wide enough for cable
reel to drop down....diameter of reel parallel with long axis of
Workmate. Copper tube through reel, rests on two sides of Workmate and
G-cramp holds tube from rolling.

Or anywhere else you like to put it, I guess...

http://www.diybanter.com
Mary Fisher

"Paul ( Skiing8 )" wrote in message news:d48dmp$nl9$1

Abused many tools over the years

Cutting the corner of a small screwdriver so that it fits a really small
torks screw(didn't work so well)
using a cordless drill as a starter motor for a strimmer that was having
trouble starting (worked well)
Spanners used as hammers(much success)
cordless drill to hammer in a wall plugs (works but wouldn't recommend it)

used alot of stuff in the place of tools

bulldog clip as a screwdriver for computer case (worked but took ages)
Bit of metal from back of computer case as screwdriver(slightly better
than
buldog clip)
Paperclip for screwdriver on computer case(useless)
Car keys for screwdriver on PC (somtimes worked)
Car keys to open boxes (works good)

Women whose husbands take the garage/workship keys with them everywhere have
to do the above - and others - all the time. We don't regard it as abuse but
as invention. Necessity demands it.

Mary

Paul

John Rumm

doozer wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

From school days, how to open a bottle of wine with only a pair of mole
grips and a screwdriver...

Use driver to remove screw from bathroom door hinge, clamp into mole
grips use as corkscrew before returning screw to the hinge!

--
Cheers,

John.

RzB wrote:

Well some time ago I tried to find out exactly what this tool was

for...

http://www.oofus.com/pix/RBPics/Odds/Odd-Pliers-W.jpg

general opinion was that it was for putting rings in pigs noses.

However there were suggestions that that it might be used
for some other seriously eye watering uses!

I think I claim this as the very worst misuse... :-)

Roy

If its a contest, I think youve won!

NT

Lobster

wrote:

Bob Eager wrote:

1) Piece of copper tube
2) Workmate
3) G cramp

makes a nice cable reel stand when unrolling long lengths of cable and
pulling them.

Where does the G-cramp go?!

Are you *really* asking?

I'd envisaged the copper tube being aligned with the long axis of the
workmate, being gripped in the vice, protruding from the end, and
couldn't see how a G-cramp fitted...

Open up WorkMate with jaws a few inches apart, wide enough for cable
reel to drop down....diameter of reel parallel with long axis of
Workmate. Copper tube through reel, rests on two sides of Workmate and
G-cramp holds tube from rolling.

Much better - and I can see why you wondered why on earth I was asking
the question!

I'll be doing some wiring this morning so will give it a go!

David
nightjar

"doozer" wrote in message
I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

It took you six months to paint a ceiling?

Colin Bignell

Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 07:24:32 UTC, "nightjar"
wrote:

"doozer" wrote in message
I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

It took you six months to paint a ceiling?

It was the Sistine Kitchen...

http://www.diybanter.com

doozer

nightjar nightjar@ wrote:
"doozer" wrote in message

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

It took you six months to paint a ceiling?

Colin Bignell

No ). It worked well enough that I used it for most of the ceilings in
the house.
Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
doozer wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for a
tool.

From school days, how to open a bottle of wine with only a pair of mole
grips and a screwdriver...

Use driver to remove screw from bathroom door hinge, clamp into mole grips
use as corkscrew before returning screw to the hinge!

How did you get the paint off the hinge?

Mary

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"doozer" wrote in message
I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks
of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

It took you six months to paint a ceiling?

It was the Sistine Kitchen...

LOL! That's cheered me up this morning - first smile of the day :-)

Mary

http://www.diybanter.com

The Natural Philosopher

Scaffold tubes and planks to make a rolling slipway for a portakabin
towed by an insustrial tractor..

Angle grinder disc mounted onto hand held drill to cut soil waste pipe
lower than floor *from the inside*

A blowlamp makes a useful cigarette lighter when SWMBO has nicked all
the others and put them in her handbag.

Broken telscopic aerials make great drills if sharpened, into very soft
material - balsa or foam...
Bob Eager

On Fri, 22 Apr 2005 10:38:58 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Scaffold tubes and planks to make a rolling slipway for a portakabin
towed by an insustrial tractor..

That reminds me...once used a dumb-bell and a 3ft piece of wood with two
battens nailed to it to move a 25ft boat about a mile. Wood under keel,
dumb bell under wood...about eight people round the boat, and we just
'walked' down the road...

http://www.diybanter.com

John Rumm

Mary Fisher wrote:

How did you get the paint off the hinge?

I don't recall it being a problem - so it was either not painted that
well, or it was easy enought to chip away from the screw head (probably
using the mole grips as a hammer on the end of the screwdriver!)

--
Cheers,

John.

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Scaffold tubes and planks to make a rolling slipway for a portakabin
towed by an insustrial tractor..

Hey, that could be a possibility for my portakabin disposal problem
(see another thread). I have all the requirements:-
portakabin
scaffold poles (could use round fence posts too)
tractor

The only problem is that I don't really have a destination! :-)

--
Chris Green
Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Scaffold tubes and planks to make a rolling slipway for a portakabin
towed by an insustrial tractor..

Hey, that could be a possibility for my portakabin disposal problem
(see another thread). I have all the requirements:-
portakabin
scaffold poles (could use round fence posts too)
tractor

The only problem is that I don't really have a destination! :-)

Where are you?

Mary

--
Chris Green

Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message ...
The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Scaffold tubes and planks to make a rolling slipway for a portakabin
towed by an insustrial tractor..

Hey, that could be a possibility for my portakabin disposal problem
(see another thread). I have all the requirements:-
portakabin
scaffold poles (could use round fence posts too)
tractor

The only problem is that I don't really have a destination! :-)

Where are you?

South Suffolk.

--
Chris Green
Mary Fisher

wrote in message ...

The only problem is that I don't really have a destination! :-)

Where are you?

South Suffolk.

Oh. a long way from west Wales ...

Well it was a thought.

They make excellent poultry sheds ...

Mary

--
Chris Green

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM