Paul \( Skiing8 \)

"doozer" wrote in message
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),
just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were never
intended to be tools (old credit cards make great grout spreaders)?

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

Abused many tools over the years

Cutting the corner of a small screwdriver so that it fits a really small
torks screw(didn't work so well)
using a cordless drill as a starter motor for a strimmer that was having
trouble starting (worked well)
Spanners used as hammers(much success)
cordless drill to hammer in a wall plugs (works but wouldn't recommend it)

used alot of stuff in the place of tools

bulldog clip as a screwdriver for computer case (worked but took ages)
Bit of metal from back of computer case as screwdriver(slightly better than
buldog clip)
Paperclip for screwdriver on computer case(useless)
Car keys for screwdriver on PC (somtimes worked)
Car keys to open boxes (works good)

Paul