raden

In message , doozer
writes
raden wrote:
In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

Yes sigh

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...
Did they teach you nothing at school ?

I know I shouldn't stick my oar in here but...

If you want your mark up to be valid XML which is what it seems to be
trying to be then you can't have a space between pedant and mode e.g.
it should be

pedant-mode
Some content
/pedant-mode

However from the point of view of making it extensible I would instead
used a tag called pickyness with a level attribute. The legal attribute
values of level of course being constrained by an XML Schema. Giving:

pickyness level="pedant"
More Content
/pickyness

Do I win the most pedantic prize?

Not even off the starting blocks for uk-diy

but you're well in the lead in this thread

--
geoff
Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

but you're well in the lead in this thread

That rhymes.

But it doesn't scan.

Mary

--
geoff

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I used to *like* having gas as a child.

Hurrah! So did I :-)
Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

I don't remember a rubber mask. I do remember a rubber lump to bite on
first (probably to hold the mouth open) which tasted nicely of liquorice.

I wonder how many other children had chewed that

Gas and a pulled tooth (and money from the tooth fairy) was much nicer
than scraping and fillings. I am not sure this is the best possible model
of dental care for a child to get accustomed to, however ;-(

No, but things were different In Those Days.
I didn't know you were as old as that!

I'm not, but my first dentist was. His drill looked like an anglepoise
lamp and I'd swear that the motor bit was bolted on at the bottom as an
afterthought, probably 1940something.

He also had a very old dentist's chair (the sort that goes up and down
by pedalling, not hydraulics) which wouldn't tip back. I think when the
Parkinson's or the Public Liability insurance got too much, he stopped
doing things with natural teeth, retaining his edentulous clientele, and
I got sent upstairs to his son, who had a modern dental chair that
tipped back. I *hate* being tipped back in the dentist's chair to this day.

There was also a proper glass toothmug of pink rinse (I quite liked the
taste of that, too) and an opal glass spittoon. And orange hessian
wallpaper.

Owain

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
I now can't bear anything like that in my mouth. Those horrid 'dams' they
used to use in dentistry made me retch

Be grateful you're not a lesbian then.

Owain

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

but you're well in the lead in this thread

That rhymes.

But it doesn't scan.

Mary, I did physics at university, not english lit

--
geoff

raden

In message , Owain
writes
Mary Fisher wrote:
I now can't bear anything like that in my mouth. Those horrid 'dams'
they used to use in dentistry made me retch

Be grateful you're not a lesbian then.

She said dams not dykes

--
geoff
John Rumm

Owain wrote:

John Rumm wrote:

... In the (newish) maternity wing of Southend General they even have
it plumbed into the building so it is available from a wall outlet
beside each bed.

Does it cost extra, like television?

Nope, but I a clasic case of lack of forthought, the hoses that connect
to said wall port are about 2' too short to actually reach if you are
laying in the bed. Net result is that most rooms still have a gas
cylinder on a little wheelie trolly as well!

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
news
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

but you're well in the lead in this thread

That rhymes.

But it doesn't scan.

Mary, I did physics at university, not english lit

Even better then!

Much modern 'poetry' neither scans nor rhymes. Even in the past there hve
been some strange, to us, rhyming patterns.

Physics has changed too. But every generation, in all disciplines, thinks
that it knows the Truth

Shuttup mother!

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
t...
Mary Fisher wrote:
I used to *like* having gas as a child.

Hurrah! So did I :-)
Spouse hated it, the smell of the rubber mask made him vomit.

I don't remember a rubber mask. I do remember a rubber lump to bite on
first (probably to hold the mouth open) which tasted nicely of liquorice.

After my time.

I wonder how many other children had chewed that

Did you wonder it at the time?

I didn't know you were as old as that!

I'm not, but my first dentist was. His drill looked like an anglepoise
lamp and I'd swear that the motor bit was bolted on at the bottom as an
afterthought, probably 1940something.

Or in the case of the Leeds School Dentist, 1930s or something :-(

He also had a very old dentist's chair (the sort that goes up and down by
pedalling, not hydraulics) which wouldn't tip back.

That's the one.

... his son, who had a modern dental chair that tipped back. I *hate*
being tipped back in the dentist's chair to this day.

So do I, it makes me jump.

There was also a proper glass toothmug of pink rinse (I quite liked the
taste of that, too)

Yes.

and an opal glass spittoon.

Yes.

And orange hessian wallpaper.

Hessian was still used for sacks. The school dentist had pale green peeling
paint. Everywhere in that building had pale green peeling paint. It was all
pre-war.

The actual building, a very nice Victoian pile, is now an extremely
expensive and fashionable bar. And offices of course. But at least they
didn't demolish it as was originaly planned ...

Mary

Owain

g.harman

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:17:09 +0100, doozer
wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),
just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were never
intended to be tools

Not a tool as such but I once used an early Automatic washing machine
as a cement mixer. It was one of those that had a plastic device which
enabled different programmes by inserting it on different sides.
Hoover keymatic I think. It had been semi abandoned for a later model
..For a one off use it did quite well.

And getting fed up with the Bruan multi thingy cluttering up the
drawer and using it to blend and stir 2 pack epoxy paint probably
counts as tool abuse as well.

G.Harman

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM