Mary Fisher wrote:

wrote in message ...

The only problem is that I don't really have a destination! :-)

Where are you?

South Suffolk.

Oh. a long way from west Wales ...

Well it was a thought.

They make excellent poultry sheds ...

This one wouldn't, the roof is falling in, otherwise we might have
considered it ourselves as we have some chickens.

--
Chris Green
Martin Evans

doozer wrote:

AlexW wrote:
doozer wrote:

Shortened (broken off) jisgaw blade for removing floorboard tongues when
circ. saw not handy (taught this one by a builder mate of mine).

Wish I had known about the jigsaw trick when I had to lift a load of
floor boards.

Its not tool abuse but I happened to find out the other day that a
Fein Multimaster (the expensive delta sander thingy) with the right
saw blade is absolutely f*cking brilliant at removing floorboards -
wish I'd bought one ages ago! Beats either a floorboard saw, a
circular saw, or a the broken jigsaw blade trick which i'd used up to
now. You can cut the tongues and do the cross cut across the
floorboard before you get anywhere near it with a lifting chisel/big
screwdriver.

just rememberd another one... a milk bottle used as a hammer to nail up
a doorframe. Yep, a glass one. Some folks are brave!

NT

John Stumbles

Martin Evans wrote:

doozer wrote:

AlexW wrote:
doozer wrote:

Shortened (broken off) jisgaw blade for removing floorboard tongues when
circ. saw not handy (taught this one by a builder mate of mine).

Wish I had known about the jigsaw trick when I had to lift a load of
floor boards.

Its not tool abuse but I happened to find out the other day that a
Fein Multimaster (the expensive delta sander thingy) with the right
saw blade is absolutely f*cking brilliant at removing floorboards -

How much is expensive? Sounds like the trick for opening out the gap under
skirting and the bottom of architraves to get vinyl underneath.

For cutting floorboards I also use a jigsaw, but I take the foot off and
turn it over to use as a sort of mini reciprocating saw. I use it with the
blade almost parallel to the wood: it can start a cut from nothing and make
quite a clean cut across a board across the middle of a joist, without
taking much out of the adjacent boards.

John Stumbles

Tim Lamb wrote:

In message , doozer
writes
When you need to get a job done quick, dont have the right tools, and
the cost of sacrificing a cheap tool doesnt matter, all sorts can be
done. Last one of these involved cutting a screwdriver in half to get
2x 3" bits of steel rod. I made sure the victim was a 'black spur.'
NT

I don't know why but as I read that post just thought A-Team (perhaps
crossed with MacGyver).

Some years ago (I won't say how many), I was puzzled by a HSE advert
showing a screwdriver inappropriately used to open a tin of paint. So
what should you use?

Dulux Diamond glaze tins are practically impossible to re-open with a
screwdriver: the glaze just glues up the join between tin and lid from the
inside. Once I've bent a bit of the lid lip up with the screwdriver I find
a pair of waterpump pliers on the lip and a levering action with the pliers
does the trick
doozer

Barb wire is easilly removed with 2 hammers, hammer them together with
the wire in between.

I remember being told never to hammer 2 hammers together, so I guess
this is abuse ?

Rick

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.
John Rumm

doozer wrote:

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Did it once when I was a kid with two hammers that belonged to my mum.
The head fell off the smaller one!

(might just have been a result of it being bought for peanuts at the
local market though!)

--
Cheers,

John.

Mary Fisher

"John Rumm" wrote in message
doozer wrote:

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Did it once when I was a kid with two hammers that belonged to my mum. The
head fell off the smaller one!

(might just have been a result of it being bought for peanuts at the local
market though!)

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer :-(

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"John Rumm" wrote in message
doozer wrote:

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Did it once when I was a kid with two hammers that belonged to my mum. The
head fell off the smaller one!

(might just have been a result of it being bought for peanuts at the local
market though!)

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer :-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

--
geoff

David Shepherd

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 17:59:12 +0100, Ed Sirett
wrote:

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 15:32:52 +0100, Paul ( Skiing8 ) wrote:

cordless drill to hammer in a wall plugs (works but wouldn't recommend it)

The back end of my Makita seems to have a thicker part of the case
presumable designed with this abuse (which I own up to) in mind.

I had a Ferm (a free gift when I purchased a combi boiler, of all
things) which didn't stand up to aforesaid abuse quite so well. The
handle parted company with the main body of the drill.

David

Andy Dingley

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 17:43:52 +0100, doozer
wrote:

I remember being told never to hammer 2 hammers together, so I guess
this is abuse ?

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Old hammers were wrought iron, with hard steel faces welded to them. if
you hit one of these against something hard, then there's a very real
risk of the weld failing and the face coming off in one piece. This is
a waste of a good hammer, but it's not particularly hazardous.

Incidentally, the difference between a face and a peen on a hammer is
that either can be of any shape, but a "face" is one of these hardened
add-ons.

Modern hammers (for a very long time) have been made of cast steel
(which is often forged, because "cast" doesn't quite what you think
either). These don't need a hardenable face welding to them, and their
hardened faces are often deeper. If you hit one of these against
something hard, then it's likely to chip the edge and you have a small
fragment pinging across the workshop. This really is an eye hazard.

Andrew McKay

Andy Dingley wrote:
Modern hammers (for a very long time) have been made of cast steel
(which is often forged, because "cast" doesn't quite what you think
either). These don't need a hardenable face welding to them, and their
hardened faces are often deeper. If you hit one of these against
something hard, then it's likely to chip the edge and you have a small
fragment pinging across the workshop. This really is an eye hazard.

My hammers will last a lifetime then. Thumbs are relatively soft.....

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

norm

On Thu, 21 Apr 2005 13:17:09 +0100, doozer
wrote:

I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses for
a tool.

Some tools are just asking to be abused (e.g. screwdrivers as chisels)
and some, like hammers used as screwdrivers (Birmingham screwdriver),
just find alternative uses. I'm sure we've all broken a tool at some
point through misusing it. Have you used things as tools that were never
intended to be tools (old credit cards make great grout spreaders)?

I once made a raised platform for painting ceilings out of old blocks of
polystyrene and a plank. It was great (for about 6 months) until one
corner gave way.

I cleaned the scum off the back of my front teeth with a Dremel and an
appropriate looking polishing attachment.

I quickly found out why dentists have that squirty water thing. You
can't spit out a hot tooth.

norm
Dave Plowman (News)

In article ,
Bob Eager wrote:
I was just reading the "Worst Tool" thread and is struck me that I
haven't yet seen a thread detailing, shall we say, alternative uses
for a tool.

Stretching it a bit, perhaps...

1) Piece of copper tube 2) Workmate 3) G cramp

makes a nice cable reel stand when unrolling long lengths of cable and
pulling them.

I wanted to sling a TV from the ceiling in the bedroom for those odd
occasions where I wanted to watch TV there - bad back times, etc. Now wall
mounting brackets are obtainable from any DIY place, but the only ceiling
mounts I could find were pro types which cost as much as the set.

So I made one out of 15mm copper tube and my pipe bender. Looks very good
and cost near nothing - I had the tube lying around.

--
*The problem with the gene pool is that there is no lifeguard *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

Yes sigh

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Andy Dingley" wrote in message

Old hammers were wrought iron, with hard steel faces welded to them. if
you hit one of these against something hard, then there's a very real
risk of the weld failing

I read that as 'the world failing' - like the sky falling on your head!

A lens came out of my specs this morning whilc walking through the sewage
works. My world has changed in the twinkling of an eye!

Mary

Mary Fisher

"norm" wrote in message

I cleaned the scum off the back of my front teeth with a Dremel and an
appropriate looking polishing attachment.

I quickly found out why dentists have that squirty water thing. You
can't spit out a hot tooth.

Oooouuuuuccccchhhhhhhh!

When I was eleven I filed off the end of my long incisor but it wasn't power
assisted thank goodness.

Mary

DJC

Mary Fisher wrote:

show off mode on

showoff
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

/showoff

mode="showoff"
or if you prefer
/mode

--
David Clark

$message_body_include ="PLES RING IF AN RNSR IS REQIRD"

norm wrote:

I cleaned the scum off the back of my front teeth with a Dremel and

an
appropriate looking polishing attachment.

I quickly found out why dentists have that squirty water thing. You
can't spit out a hot tooth.

norm

Lol. Theres a small but persistent tendency to do dentistry diy, but it
does not have a good record.

NT

Rick

On Sat, 23 Apr 2005 21:23:09 +0100, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
doozer wrote:

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Did it once when I was a kid with two hammers that belonged to my mum. The
head fell off the smaller one!

(might just have been a result of it being bought for peanuts at the local
market though!)

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer :-(

Mary

And the icidence of violent crime against the person was much lower.

Andrew McKay

Bob Eager wrote:
I'm just waiting for the usual suspect to mention car body filler.

Where is he anyway? I haven't seen any of the usual tripe that he posts
for several days. Perhaps he's been following his own advice with the
expected result?

.....or maybe he saw the thread on DIY coffins and decided to investigate
a new self latching mechanism.....

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Mary Fisher

"DJC" wrote in message
news
Mary Fisher wrote:

show off mode on

showoff
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

/showoff

mode="showoff"
or if you prefer
/mode

I don't.

If I had I would have done it like that:-)

Mary

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"John Rumm" wrote in message
doozer wrote:

Apparently because they are toughened steel they can in theory shatter
when banged together - at least that's what my old CDT teach told me.

Did it once when I was a kid with two hammers that belonged to my mum.
The
head fell off the smaller one!

(might just have been a result of it being bought for peanuts at the
local
market though!)

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

Mary

And the icidence of violent crime against the person was much lower.

I never ever knowingly had an icidence of anything ...

Our hammer was a coal hammer, I still have it. It says 'COAL' on it.

Mary

raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"raden" wrote in message

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

Yes sigh

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...

Did they teach you nothing at school ?

--
geoff
raden

In message , Mary
Fisher writes

"norm" wrote in message

I cleaned the scum off the back of my front teeth with a Dremel and an
appropriate looking polishing attachment.

I quickly found out why dentists have that squirty water thing. You
can't spit out a hot tooth.

Oooouuuuuccccchhhhhhhh!

When I was eleven I filed off the end of my long incisor but it wasn't power
assisted thank goodness.

What, like this ?

http://www.dentaldistortions.com/gif...ssian_r2_c4.jp
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
raden writes:
Funny you should say that

I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?

i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

What, less toxic than mercury?

I've often wondered about areldite rapid for the job. Might want to
mix it with some fine but hard wearing particles to improve life.
Modern filling material is a mixture of resin and quartz particles;
very fine sand or powdered aluminium oxide might be suitable DIY
substitute ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew McKay

raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?

i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

My advice is to get yourself an emergency appointment at the dentist.
He/she will be able to slap on a temporary filling to keep the bad guys
out until the job can be done properly.

It is possible that the damage to the tooth is such that an abscess
could form beneath the gum. Might sound unreasonable, but it's a fact
that once a tooth has had a breakage then germs can get in, and they
love the rich area around the roots.

Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want to
experience again. My last one was about 40 years ago and despite the
fact that I hate the unpleasantness that sometimes accompanies a visit
to the dentist it taught me that avoiding the dentist was not an option.

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Owain

raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?
i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

Bring your dental checkup forward!!! Prompt treatment may enable the
tooth to be saved (using eg a crown). Delaying treatment may mean an
infected pulp and Very Bad Things[1]. A broken tooth justifies an
Emergency Appointment.

If there is pain then a plug of cotton wool soaked in oil of cloves can
be used. (My dental book says). If there are sharp edges which could
cause damage to the mouth, cover with gauze.

Some pharmacists may have emergency filling kits (I thikn gutta percha
is the material) but theyr'e for repairing lost fillings in the middle
of the Amazonian rainforest, not half a tooth falling off.

Dental fillings are placed over a lining to prevent the filling material
irritating the dentine or pulp. Also, all diseased tissue, moisture and
unsupported enamel must be removed before filling.

If you are going to use car body filler ^W^W^W composite resin, you
would probably need to paint the tooth in phosphoric acid, this creates
a honeycomb in the enamel, which the composite can bond with. You would
also need calcium hydroxide to sooth the dentine and pulp, the calcium
hydroxide is also adhesive. Then whizz with UV light to set the resin.

Owain

[1] This means not just Very Unpleasant Things but also, in today's
universally-available free-at-the-point-of-use cradle-to-grave N.H.S.,
Very Expensive Things.

Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 18:46:52 UTC, Andrew McKay
wrote:

Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want to
experience again. My last one was about 40 years ago and despite the
fact that I hate the unpleasantness that sometimes accompanies a visit
to the dentist it taught me that avoiding the dentist was not an option.

My experience exactly. In my case, 31 years ago. I couldn't get an
appointment for several days and I was on the strongest OTC painkillers
you could get. And I was woken up at night by the pain when they wore
off.

And I suffered depression from their withdrawal (and the shock of the
extraction of the piece of tooth, which involved slicing the gum).

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Stefek Zaba

raden wrote:

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...

Did they teach you nothing at school ?

Nah. You mean
..enable pedant
..disable pedant

or, in another dialect blessed by the ancients:

SET /MODE=PEDANTRY
SET /NOMODE=PEDANTRY
Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:37:58 UTC, Stefek Zaba
wrote:

raden wrote:

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...

Did they teach you nothing at school ?

Nah. You mean
.enable pedant
.disable pedant

or, in another dialect blessed by the ancients:

SET /MODE=PEDANTRY
SET /NOMODE=PEDANTRY

No...that would be (since there is a value involved):

SET MODE=NOPEDANTRY

(I think). Don't have the machine running right now so that I can
check...
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:

When I was eleven I filed off the end of my long incisor but it wasn't
power assisted thank goodness

I said incisor, not canine.
sigh

Eeeh, when ah wuz a lad, we wuz too puir tae ha incisors.

Communal cisors dan the swimmin baths evry Sat'dy and like it.

Owain

Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:426b8247$0$28623
:

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

Isn't that why German foods are labelled 'may contains nuts and/or
peanuts' (or something like that but in German)?

--
Rod

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM