Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message
In message , Mary Fisher
writes

"raden" wrote in message

When I was a child we couldn't afford peanuts. Nor more than one hammer
:-(

So, having a sledgehammer to crack a nut was out on both counts then

Yes sigh

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

You mean pedant mode and /pedant mode ...

Did they teach you nothing at school ?

School?

My father couldn't afford a governess.

Mary

--
geoff

Mary Fisher

"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-

snip

(I think). Don't have the machine running right now so that I can
check...

You mean you can't make up your own mind???

In my day we had to think for ourselves :-)

Mary
--
Bob Eager

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

When I was eleven I filed off the end of my long incisor but it wasn't
power
assisted thank goodness.

What, like this ?

http://www.dentaldistortions.com/gif...ssian_r2_c4.jp

I said incisor, not canine.

sigh

Mary

geoff

Mary Fisher

"Andrew McKay" wrote in message
raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?

i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

My advice is to get yourself an emergency appointment at the dentist.
He/she will be able to slap on a temporary filling to keep the bad guys
out until the job can be done properly.

That's the problem with diy dentistry, the Bad Guys. Trapping them between
tooth and diy filler could eaily causemany more problems.

It is possible that the damage to the tooth is such that an abscess could
form beneath the gum. Might sound unreasonable, but it's a fact that once
a tooth has had a breakage then germs can get in, and they love the rich
area around the roots.

Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want to
experience again.

I've had two at different times. I was happy to lose the teeth.

My last one was about 40 years ago and despite the fact that I hate the
unpleasantness that sometimes accompanies a visit to the dentist it taught
me that avoiding the dentist was not an option.

Seconded.

Mary

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam

Mary Fisher

"Ian Stirling" wrote in message

I used a signal-generator, and two stainless spoons with cling-film
across all but the end of the handle, across the gum, in order to kill
dental pain.
IIRC about 500Hz squarewave at 1V worked best.

It took it from a stage where paracetamol/asprin made absolutely no
difference, and I was wondering if I had a suitable hammer to remove
the tooth, to being a slightly odd dull feeling in that part of the jaw
for
several hours.

AKA TENS.

Oh! I've never thought about a tens for toothache relief, thanks. I'll try
to remember that.

Mary

raden

In message , Andrew McKay
writes
raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last
week. Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with
until it's time for my dental check up ?
i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

My advice is to get yourself an emergency appointment at the dentist.
He/she will be able to slap on a temporary filling to keep the bad guys
out until the job can be done properly.

It is possible that the damage to the tooth is such that an abscess
could form beneath the gum. Might sound unreasonable, but it's a fact
that once a tooth has had a breakage then germs can get in, and they
love the rich area around the roots.

Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want to
experience again. My last one was about 40 years ago and despite the
fact that I hate the unpleasantness that sometimes accompanies a visit
to the dentist it taught me that avoiding the dentist was not an option.

OK, you've convinced me there

One of my employees has just had to have a tooth removed because of an
abcess

--
geoff
raden

In message , Ian
Stirling writes
wrote:
norm wrote:

I cleaned the scum off the back of my front teeth with a Dremel and

an
appropriate looking polishing attachment.

I quickly found out why dentists have that squirty water thing. You
can't spit out a hot tooth.

Lol. Theres a small but persistent tendency to do dentistry diy, but it
does not have a good record.

While waiting to attend the dentist:

I used a signal-generator, and two stainless spoons with cling-film
across all but the end of the handle, across the gum, in order to kill
dental pain.
IIRC about 500Hz squarewave at 1V worked best.

It took it from a stage where paracetamol/asprin made absolutely no
difference, and I was wondering if I had a suitable hammer to remove
the tooth, to being a slightly odd dull feeling in that part of the jaw for
several hours.

No pain, not even much cold sensitivity and due to it's position and
roughness, I'm not sure whether the break backs onto a filling or not

--
geoff
Bob Eager

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 20:53:15 UTC, "Mary Fisher"
wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-

snip

(I think). Don't have the machine running right now so that I can
check...

You mean you can't make up your own mind???

In my day we had to think for ourselves :-)

Yes, but my memory is not what it was. This is a VMS system to which
Stefek is referring, and that doesn't run on a PC, but on a VAX (no, not
the vacuum cleaner). I don't have the VMS documentation handy, and the
VAX is turned off.

--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!

Mary Fisher

wrote:

"Bob Eager" wrote in message news:176uZD2KcidF-pn2-

snip

(I think). Don't have the machine running right now so that I can
check...

You mean you can't make up your own mind???

In my day we had to think for ourselves :-)

Yes, but my memory is not what it was. This is a VMS system to which
Stefek is referring, and that doesn't run on a PC, but on a VAX (no, not
the vacuum cleaner). I don't have the VMS documentation handy, and the
VAX is turned off.

I'll stick with a simple life I think :-)

Mary

--
Bob Eager

Mary Fisher

"Rod" wrote in message
. 4...
"Mary Fisher" wrote in news:426b8247$0$28623
:

show off mode on
However, peanuts aren't nuts, they're a type of bean.
show off mode off

Isn't that why German foods are labelled 'may contains nuts and/or
peanuts' (or something like that but in German)?

It's done in UK too. Peanuts seem to have a very nasty effect on some
people, so do other nuts in some of those people, so do some seeds such as
sesame.

It's more to do with one of more constituents rather than the definition :-)

Mary

--
Rod

Mary Fisher

"raden" wrote in message

I thought I'd lost a filling last week when I bit on something hard and
retrieved a small lump of mangled, hard, silvery metal.

I was eating hare at the time. Never had shot which wasn't spherical, this
had hit the legbone.

Mary

Rod

"Mary Fisher" wrote in
. net:

It's done in UK too. Peanuts seem to have a very nasty effect on some
people, so do other nuts in some of those people, so do some seeds
such as sesame.

I've seen plenty of UK 'may contain nuts' - even on packets of peanuts!
(And many other similar warnings.) My point, that Germany seems to agree
that peanuts are not nuts!

--
Rod

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:

When I was eleven I filed off the end of my long incisor but it wasn't
power assisted thank goodness

I said incisor, not canine.
sigh

Eeeh, when ah wuz a lad, we wuz too puir tae ha incisors.

Did tha sit on't flags wi that canine then?

Communal cisors dan the swimmin baths evry Sat'dy and like it.

EVRY Sat'dy?

Bet tha 'ad sooap an' all!

Mary

Owain

Owain

raden wrote:
Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want
to experience again. ...

OK, you've convinced me there
One of my employees has just had to have a tooth removed because of an
abcess

Once you've seen photos of maxillofacial surgery you wouldn't worry
about abcsesses so much :-)

Maybe there'll be a pretty surgery assistant to hold your hand ;-)

Owain

Owain

Mary Fisher wrote:
Communal cisors dan the swimmin baths evry Sat'dy and like it.

EVRY Sat'dy?

Evry Sat'dy, between working doon pit during day and t'evenin' job of
pedalling a paddle steamer 'cos boss were too mean to buy coal.

Lucky to 'ave an evenin' job I was.

Bet tha 'ad sooap an' all!

Mebbe, but I weren't bending o'er in t'shower tae pick it oop. I'd read
News o' t' World in t'neighbours privy.

Owain

raden

In message , Owain
writes
raden wrote:
Take it from me, an abscess is something that you wouldn't ever want
to experience again. ...

OK, you've convinced me there
One of my employees has just had to have a tooth removed because of
an abcess

Once you've seen photos of maxillofacial surgery you wouldn't worry
about abcsesses so much :-)

Maybe there'll be a pretty surgery assistant to hold your hand ;-)

On the NHS ??

--
geoff
Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Derek Geldard writes:
Whatever you put in it'll have to come out in the surgery. Nothing you
have access to is proof against a high speed air rotor turbine handpiece

Last time I went (piece of filling had come out), there was no
drill, but what the dentist called "air abrasion", which is
actually aluminium oxide powder propelled by compressed air.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Andrew McKay

Owain wrote:
If there is pain then a plug of cotton wool soaked in oil of cloves can
be used. (My dental book says).

On that subject you can get cloves as thingummywhatsits - a little bead
on a stick (as picked off the clove tree). I forget what these are
called. You stick them between gum and cheek in the area where the pain is.

These cloves (and clove oil) are absolutely excellent at removing pain
from a sore tooth. The pain just disappears for the most part, to the
extent that you get to thinking "I'll delay going to the dentist then".

Andrew

--
Please note that the email address used for posting
usenet messages is configured such that my antispam
filter will automatically update itself so that the
senders email address is flagged as spam. If you do
need to contact me please visit my web site and
submit an enquiry - http://www.kazmax.co.uk

Martin Evans

John Stumbles wrote:

How much is expensive? Sounds like the trick for opening out the gap under
skirting and the bottom of architraves to get vinyl underneath.

About 120 quid for the basic unit and 15 quid for the blades. I think
it would be ideal for cutting the bottom of skirting in situ though.

The blades are around 2 inches wide (x 1/16 inch or less) with around
24tpi. I have some 5 inch wide timber framed partitions upstairs sat
on 2 inch joists, to get temporary access underneath I can cut
through the floorboard right up to the skirting with no damage to the
paint or adjacent boards, then screw a noggin to the existing joist
and put the original floorboard back in place. A 2 joist length in
the middle of a run can be cleanly removed and replaced in about 10
mins. Apart from a very narrow gap where the crosscut is on the board
you'd never even know it had been touched - which is more than I can
say for the chiseled out/ circular saw/ hand floorboard saw attacked
ones I've seen. On top of all that its a pretty good edge/detail
sander too.

For cutting floorboards I also use a jigsaw, but I take the foot off and
turn it over to use as a sort of mini reciprocating saw. I use it with the
blade almost parallel to the wood: it can start a cut from nothing and make
quite a clean cut across a board across the middle of a joist, without
taking much out of the adjacent boards.

Interesting variation - not sure I can easily remove the foot from
mine.

Ian Stirling

Owain wrote:
raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?
i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

Bring your dental checkup forward!!! Prompt treatment may enable the
tooth to be saved (using eg a crown). Delaying treatment may mean an

snip
If you are going to use car body filler ^W^W^W composite resin, you
would probably need to paint the tooth in phosphoric acid, this creates
a honeycomb in the enamel, which the composite can bond with. You would
also need calcium hydroxide to sooth the dentine and pulp, the calcium
hydroxide is also adhesive. Then whizz with UV light to set the resin.

From things I recall from a very non PC book about sticking things into
dogs, car body filler, which is probably polyester resin, is one of the
most irritating substances to place in contact with tissue.
Even worse than epoxy, which is bad.
Bob Eager

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 08:30:13 UTC, Ian Stirling
wrote:

From things I recall from a very non PC book about sticking things into
dogs, car body filler, which is probably polyester resin, is one of the
most irritating substances to place in contact with tissue.

Reminds me of a Roald Dahl (adult) story about ginger and greyhounds...
--
Bob Eager
begin a new life...dump Windows!
Sam Nelson

In article ,
Owain writes:
raden wrote:
I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.
Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with until it's
time for my dental check up ?
i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

Bring your dental checkup forward!!! Prompt treatment may enable the
tooth to be saved (using eg a crown). Delaying treatment may mean an
infected pulp and Very Bad Things[1]. A broken tooth justifies an
Emergency Appointment.

Or, if you leave it to go bad and nasty, and have yourself referred to your
local dental hospital, you can look forward to two or three years, on and off,
of two or three hours in a dentist's chair every two or three months, having
it dealt with. On the upside, I've met several of the nation's most beautiful
dentistettes, but on balance I think I'd've had it dealt with promptly.
Reaching the point of complacency with this sort of business that you can
actually fall asleep in a dentist's chair during treatment is not necessarily
a skill you want to acquire.

[1] This means not just Very Unpleasant Things but also, in today's
universally-available free-at-the-point-of-use cradle-to-grave N.H.S.,
Very Expensive Things.

Proportionately, no more expensive than before. The extra cost comes in the
form of petrol and car-parking, to get to the dental hospital.
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Rob Morley

In article , "Derek
Geldard" says...

On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 17:55:27 GMT, raden wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
On Sun, 24 Apr 2005 13:50:56 UTC,
wrote:

Lol. Theres a small but persistent tendency to do dentistry diy, but it
does not have a good record.

I'm just waiting for the usual suspect to mention car body filler.

Funny you should say that

I've just lost half a molar from a stone in something I ate last week.

You're toast.

It didn't collapse for no reason, most probably it had decayed from the
inside. Or the tooth/root had cracked or split in another (even worse)
failure mode.

Anybody got any suggestions for what I can patch it up with

Zinc oxide and eugenol, or a dental repair kit from Boots.

http://www.dentistry.bham.ac.uk/cal/impress/znoeugd.htm

until it's time for my dental check up ?

Ahh, no chance I'm afraid. You can patch it up if you like but it needs
to be properly treated straight away.

i.e. something that can fill, be drilled and isn't toxic ?

Whatever you put in it'll have to come out in the surgery. Nothing you
have access to is proof against a high speed air rotor turbine handpiece

I had half a tooth break off and didn't do anything about it for
several months because it wasn't painful and I was busy. I
eventually had it repaired and now it's fine - no infection, no need
for root canal or extraction. Don't be so alarmist.
Ian Johnston

On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 10:19:39 UTC, (Sam Nelson) wrote:

: In article cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-yHt3WmHxm7y1@localhost,
: "Ian Johnston" writes:
: On Mon, 25 Apr 2005 09:06:09 UTC,
(Sam Nelson) wrote:
:
: : Reaching the point of complacency with this sort of business that you can
: : actually fall asleep in a dentist's chair during treatment is not necessarily
: : a skill you want to acquire.
:
: Find a dentist who uses NO.
:
: No way do I want unnecessary GA, or even sedative, TVM. There's way
: too much risk to justify it for ordinary everyday dental work.

That's why I have RA (respiratory analgesia) and not GA (general
anaesthetic). I do not anaesthetise at all well - my record is five
syringes of local for one tooth and still not numb. I used to be
referred for GA (with an anaesthetist as well as a dentist present)
but RA is just as effective for me. It hurts a bit, but I don't care!

: I look forward to my visits - an hour and
: a half of root canal work last week and I was sorry when it was over.
:
: I looked forward to my visits as well, but that was mostly because of the
: beautiful dentists.

Any dentist hooking me up to a NO source looks beautiful.

: Mind you, the ******* won't give me gas for my check ups, no matter
: how much I plead.
:
: A close relative is having a replacement knee-joint this week, and getting
: an epidural for it. GAs are best avoided, where possible.

Absolutely. But remember, NO is /not/ a general anaesthetic.

Ian

Ian Stirling

wrote:

[...]

"I smoked 100 a day, and lived to be 140"
Rob Morley

In article ,

wrote:

[...]

That's the other end of the scale from "Teenage smokers won't live to
be 30" - the truth is usually somewhere between the two.
Sam Nelson

In article cCUlhtvFIYkV-pn2-vQjlydteLe9T@localhost,
"Ian Johnston" writes:
: I look forward to my visits - an hour and
: a half of root canal work last week and I was sorry when it was over.
:
: I looked forward to my visits as well, but that was mostly because of the
: beautiful dentists.

Any dentist hooking me up to a NO source looks beautiful.

You're just jealous!

: Mind you, the ******* won't give me gas for my check ups, no matter
: how much I plead.
:
: A close relative is having a replacement knee-joint this week, and getting
: an epidural for it. GAs are best avoided, where possible.

Absolutely. But remember, NO is /not/ a general anaesthetic.

I suppose. I still don't like the idea of not being in control of my
faculties, though. Or limbs. Etc.

OP, though, all that way back, just needs to Go To See A Dentist. Soon.

Ian Johnston wrote:

That's why I have RA (respiratory analgesia) and not GA (general
anaesthetic). I do not anaesthetise at all well - my record is five
syringes of local for one tooth and still not numb.

So what is RA?

NT

Mary Fisher wrote:

Oh! I've never thought about a tens for toothache relief, thanks.

I'll try
to remember that.

Mary

applying tens to the head is not advised. The electrical anaesthetic is
fine as long as its applied across a tooth, but apply it across the
whole head by mistake, which is easily done, and you could have some
real problems.

I used a lot more than 1v. Whatever you use it must be current
controlled.

NT

Mary Fisher

"Owain" wrote in message
Mary Fisher wrote:
Communal cisors dan the swimmin baths evry Sat'dy and like it.

EVRY Sat'dy?

Evry Sat'dy, between working doon pit during day and t'evenin' job of
pedalling a paddle steamer 'cos boss were too mean to buy coal.

Lucky to 'ave an evenin' job I was.

Bet tha 'ad sooap an' all!

Mebbe, but I weren't bending o'er in t'shower tae pick it oop. I'd read
News o' t' World in t'neighbours privy.

Ee - so it wor THEE pinchin' us paper!

Mary

Owain

Mary Fisher

Owain wrote:
If there is pain then a plug of cotton wool soaked in oil of cloves can
be used. (My dental book says).

On that subject you can get cloves as thingummywhatsits - a little bead on
a stick (as picked off the clove tree). I forget what these are called.

It's called a clove ...

Mary

Mary Fisher

"Sam Nelson" wrote in message

A close relative is having a replacement knee-joint this week, and getting
an epidural for it. GAs are best avoided, where possible.

Epidurals aren't foolproof.

Spouse had a hip replacement using one but because of a not understood but
chronic neurological problem he has it didn'twork and he was in absolutely
tertrible agony.

A simple anal suppositary analgesic gave relieve.

My point is that you shouldn't generalise. I've had lots of GAs for minor
(dental) and major (brain) surgery and I survived with nothing more than a
sore throat. Most people do.

Travelling by road is best avoided.

Mary

Mary
--
SAm. all sweeping generalisations are false

Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Metalworking 5 April 14th 05 05:39 PM
Tool Guide Joe AutoDrill Woodworking 4 April 13th 05 02:50 AM
Surface finish [email protected] Metalworking 14 June 20th 04 12:04 AM
Basics on Depth of Cuts Chris S Metalworking 10 September 2nd 03 03:15 AM
Leatherman Tool Henry E Schaffer Woodworking 13 August 27th 03 06:17 AM