Martin Evans

John Stumbles wrote:

How much is expensive? Sounds like the trick for opening out the gap under
skirting and the bottom of architraves to get vinyl underneath.

About 120 quid for the basic unit and 15 quid for the blades. I think
it would be ideal for cutting the bottom of skirting in situ though.

The blades are around 2 inches wide (x 1/16 inch or less) with around
24tpi. I have some 5 inch wide timber framed partitions upstairs sat
on 2 inch joists, to get temporary access underneath I can cut
through the floorboard right up to the skirting with no damage to the
paint or adjacent boards, then screw a noggin to the existing joist
and put the original floorboard back in place. A 2 joist length in
the middle of a run can be cleanly removed and replaced in about 10
mins. Apart from a very narrow gap where the crosscut is on the board
you'd never even know it had been touched - which is more than I can
say for the chiseled out/ circular saw/ hand floorboard saw attacked
ones I've seen. On top of all that its a pretty good edge/detail
sander too.

For cutting floorboards I also use a jigsaw, but I take the foot off and
turn it over to use as a sort of mini reciprocating saw. I use it with the
blade almost parallel to the wood: it can start a cut from nothing and make
quite a clean cut across a board across the middle of a joist, without
taking much out of the adjacent boards.

Interesting variation - not sure I can easily remove the foot from
mine.