Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:08:16 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

I like AA2520, but mostly use surplus military powder I got for a
song, 844T. I am REAL GLAD there is no need for me to buy bullets,
primers, or powder at today's prices.

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a
Lee LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and
jams up on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I
currently have Varget but am interested in finding spherical or a
finer grain powder that won't bridge up and spill like the Varget
does. Now I seem to have spills every 4 or 5 reloads, maybe I need
to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.
On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC,
X-Terminator, Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help
prevent the powder bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

WW748BR is a spherical powder , flows well and has good load density . I
had some a few years back for IIRC loading .222 for a TC Contender . Long
gone now .
That powder bridging problem can be reduced by using a longer drop tube on
your powder measure . Helps align the grains or something . Whacking the
measure too hard can cause packing and affect the weight of later charges
thrown with the measure .
Cool enough now to fire up the melt pot and cast a few hundred more
balls for the muzzleloader ...
--
Snag

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/21/2013 10:08 PM, RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

With my LM, I have an aquarium pump rubber banded to the powder
dispenser for the vibration. Others have used cell phone vibrators. It
also gives me +/- .1 gr with flake powder.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

With my LM, I have an aquarium pump rubber banded to the powder
dispenser for the vibration. Others have used cell phone vibrators. It
also gives me +/- .1 gr with flake powder.

I see Larry coming with a lesbo joke about using your personal
vibrator

Karl

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 07:58:12 -0500, Karl Townsend
wrote:

With my LM, I have an aquarium pump rubber banded to the powder
dispenser for the vibration. Others have used cell phone vibrators. It
also gives me +/- .1 gr with flake powder.

I see Larry coming with a lesbo joke about using your personal
vibrator

It takes as much energy to wish as to plan.
--Eleanor Roosevelt
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

Well...for 223....BL-C2 works pretty well. As does AA 2230 with a
close followup for H335 and Varget.

You do have a baffle in your powder measure..right? If not..make one.
It really really helps with the fine powders.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:22:45 -0500, Richard
wrote:

On 10/22/2013 12:18 PM, Richard wrote:
On 10/21/2013 9:08 PM, RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and
jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have
Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills
every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to
drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC,
X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

All I have ever used so far is Win 748.
It is a very small ball.

The Hornady book shows recommended loads for it.

Roger, on a side issue, I'm pushing cast bullets (Hardball alloy tm)
to 2000 FPS, which is pretty close to the edge for an old fashioned
rifle (and the lead!), so every charge is weighed on a balance beam
scale.

It goes slower, but safer!

Depending on both the powder and the method of operation of the
measure...some powders rarely need checking others...tricking it is
about all one can do to get it "perfect"

I have several of the old and superlative Ohaus "Duo-measures" that
Ive used for 30+ yrs..and they really really give consistant results.
Some of the others...not so much.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Monday, October 21, 2013 8:08:16 PM UTC-6, RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223. My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4 or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop. On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator, Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder bridging on the neck problem? RogerN

I use H335 and IMR4895 for .223, nothing but single stage Bonanza Benchrest presses and dies used, though. I've managed to pick up some CFE223, haven't loaded any yet. Every measure I've used needs several raps before and after to get consistant drops. H335 is fine stuff, tends to get between the drum and housing on the Lee powder measure I use for a lot of my loading, measure periodically has to be shut off, disassembled and the innards dumped out. Not a big deal, but happens every 100 rounds or so. IMR4895 meters well, haven't had a bridging problem, mostly because I rap the measure. The Lyman 45 measure I have has a cast-iron knocker attached right to the body, not a new problem.

Last show I was at a couple of weeks back had primers for $30/1000 and several vendors had powder. So might be supplies are picking up, or the hoarders and end-of-the-world preppers are coming to the end of their credit card limits.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, well, the balance beam is nuts-on.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I found the trick with that Lee powder dump is to vibrate it.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Nope. Didn't have one.
Googled it, liked the idea, and I drew up a pattern for one for my own
powder measure. The pattern looks like a lemon with a small bite out of
each end.

Just to bring us _firmly_ back to metal working, ;^ I'll make it from
a piece of .017 6061-T6.
Punch the end openings with a 5/8 sheet metal punch, and just scissor
out the rest. (Ok, trim and file too) Bend 90 degrees and it's done.

Could also be made of plastic, wood veneer, stiff paper?, foam board,
etc. As long as it can stand the weight of the column of powder.

Winchester 748 is a very small ball.
It bounces!
Like like a zillion tiny little balls.

Obviously containment measures become important.

careful chemist, you know?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip

RogerN

Well...for 223....BL-C2 works pretty well. As does AA 2230 with a
close followup for H335 and Varget.

You do have a baffle in your powder measure..right? If not..make one.
It really really helps with the fine powders.

Gunner

On the press I have the Lee auto-disk or whatever it's called, no baffle in
it. I bought a Hornandy Lock N Load powder measure and bought a baffle for
it, don't have the stuff to mount it to the press yet though. Actually I'm
not sure exactly what I need to mount it on the press for 223, all their
bushings are for pistol calibers it appears. I wish my shop was handier so
I could just make what I need. Today I'm planning to go to the sporting
goods store and seeing if they have some powder I want. Then stop by Radio
Shack, I think they sell a micro vibrating motor.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I can find on
the shelves today, I have a list of recommended powders. Might get some
bullets and brass too if they have anything that I want.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2013 10:27 AM, RogerN wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I can find on
the shelves today, I have a list of recommended powders. Might get some
bullets and brass too if they have anything that I want.

RogerN

Between inflation, and the political climate.
Buy more than you think you need, while it's
still available and affordable.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Ayup. Many of the baffles are made from a simple bit of bent stainless
steel, others from an easily bent thin aluminum stock, others are
actually molded into the plastic powde rmeasure resiviour.

Most..not all..but most powder measures benefit from them.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:56:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/26/2013 10:27 AM, RogerN wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I can find on
the shelves today, I have a list of recommended powders. Might get some
bullets and brass too if they have anything that I want.

RogerN

Between inflation, and the political climate.
Buy more than you think you need, while it's
still available and affordable.

Inflation yes...political climate seems to be cooling off as the newbs
rinally realize that ammo will stay on the market..and they have their
stockpiles now.

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

On 10/26/2013 10:27 AM, RogerN wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I
can find on the shelves today, I have a list of recommended
powders. Might get some bullets and brass too if they have
anything that I want.

RogerN

Between inflation, and the political climate.
Buy more than you think you need, while it's
still available and affordable.

Inflation yes...political climate seems to be cooling off as the newbs
rinally realize that ammo will stay on the market..and they have their
stockpiles now.

I was just identifying and counting the lead balls for my muzzleloaders .
It's deer season up here on the Ozark Plateau , I can harvest 4
....Tomorrow's the last day of the muzzleloader hunt , but archery is open
til the end of February and there's a modern rifle season too . Next task ,
touch up the blades in my broadheads , they've been in storage ...
--
Snag
out in

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Over the last 2ish weeks, I emptied out my house and had it
fumigated. Yall may have noticed me being gone for a few days..or not.
Shrug

Now we are putting it all back in place and damn but I keep finding
archery gear and bullets and brass I never remember owning. Granted..I
did have a stroke...but damn.....

Hell..I found 2 guns I dont remember ever buying tucked away in a
seldom opened cabinet...

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Gunner Asch on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:34:20 -0700

Over the last 2ish weeks, I emptied out my house and had it
fumigated. Yall may have noticed me being gone for a few days..or not.
Shrug

Now we are putting it all back in place and damn but I keep finding
archery gear and bullets and brass I never remember owning. Granted..I
did have a stroke...but damn.....

Who the hell bought all this crap?
Oh, that would be me. Never mind.

Hell..I found 2 guns I dont remember ever buying tucked away in a
seldom opened cabinet...

One advantage of moving every so often - you find "stuff".
--
pyotr filipivich
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 20:56:32 -0700, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Gunner Asch on Sat, 26 Oct 2013 19:34:20 -0700

Over the last 2ish weeks, I emptied out my house and had it
fumigated. Yall may have noticed me being gone for a few days..or not.
Shrug

Now we are putting it all back in place and damn but I keep finding
archery gear and bullets and brass I never remember owning. Granted..I
did have a stroke...but damn.....

Who the hell bought all this crap?
Oh, that would be me. Never mind.

Ayup.

Its much like digging a hole....once you get all the dirt out..it
never fits back into the hole and you have to mound it up someplace.

Hell..I found 2 guns I dont remember ever buying tucked away in a
seldom opened cabinet...

One advantage of moving every so often - you find "stuff".

Thats the only positive thing I can say about having the stroke...for
the last 3 ... years when I opened a drawer or carton..it was like
Christmas every day. OOOHHH!! New Toy!

--
pyotr filipivich

"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

I'm sorry. I forgot to tell you I stashed ALL THAT STUFF down there
when I saw you 3 years ago. Mail 'em up to me, will ya?
That's a dear.

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Went to the sporting goods store today to see what they had, bought a pound
of H335, W748, 500 Varmageddon 55gr bullets, and 100 Remington 223 brass.
They had a lot of W748 and only about 4 of the H335. I'm hoping to find
some CFE223 to try sometime. Anyway, got a couple of powders to try out.

RogerN

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Come and get em. (Grin) Id like to see your homely face again.

I found a Turkish mauser and a Brno mauser,...both 8mm and both about
5' long. Dont remember getting them. Both are in decent shooting
shape..so maybe Ill get to blow the dust out of them this coming week.
They were stuck in my hiking cabinet along with the martial arts
supplies..the swords and fighting staffs etc etc. No idea why they
were tucked into the very back. I was..frankly ..a bit goofy for about
a year after the stroke..and I found stuff in the damnedest places.
Course the wife might have stuck em in their when the kids moved in a
year ago..little kids..3 of them. But Ill have to look in the log
about where they came from. I never missed making an entry. Somethings
are ingrained. Shrug

Now I simply have to find the log...its..somewhere....laugh. We did
empty 27 yrs worth of stuff out of this place..took it right down to
the dust in the heating vents..and its been stored
outside..everywhere. The wierd thing...this place has a really bad
echo when its empty. And Ive been noticing the echo start to diminish
as we put the stuff back in...one article at a time. No bugs are
coming back in in boxes. One article at a time.

They found a bedbug on the grand daughter at church..on her shoulder.
So everyone paniced. No bedbugs were found anywhere in this
place...and it was professionally checked. Just a ****load of desert
cockroaches. It cost $600 to have it fumigated..and Im still killing
roaches..though they are walking around pretty stunned. The company
said it would be about 10 days before they were all gone and they will
be back Monday for a retreatment and Ive been keeping a record about
where they are found. I suspect they got in through a wall/floor joint
in the add-on to my reloading shop. I sprayed a ****load of bug
killer there yesterday..and Im seeing significantly fewer of them.
Bought foggers and will be putting them in the foundation tommorow.
Ive found albino roaches..pure white. Saved some of them for the bug
guys to look at. We never had em before the last couple moved
in...cringe..and suddenly we were finding them everywhere. Ive been
bug free for 27 yrs..and then suddenly...Whamo! Though Im told the
bug guys are doing a box office business this year and Ive seen more
than one house tented and others with their stuff out in their yards
like we did...more than Ive ever seen before in this town. They were
worried about bedbugs..its become something of an epidemic across the
US and those little *******s are hard to find and harder to kill.
Thank Crom none were found here.

We are going to have one hell of a yard sale in a couple weeks

We found stuff that we havent seen/used in a decade. Hell..I found an
unopened GALLON of high end Bacardi 151 rum. No idea of what that came
from either. Neither of us drink. Must have been something from a
party we threw years ago and the last wild party we had..was at least
15 yrs ago....or came in with one of the string of people we took in
and got back on their feet. Who knows...shrug. But its time to thin
out the crap and free up storage. I found a tube tester..a nice
professional grade vacum tube tester for radio/TV that Ive been
looking for for 5 yrs. My wife tends to simply Stuff stuff away out
of sight..out of mind....and Im going to have to beat her for that one
of these days....(G).

She finally admitted she hasnt been very careful..when she found a
pair of quarter caret diamond earrings she has been missing for 15 yrs
and had thought had been stolen. They were tucked away in a
sunglasses case along with a pair of high end RayBan sunglasses that
Id been missing for 15 yrs. She must have taken them off at some
point while we were out at a party or out sailing or something..and
put em in the case for safety..then tucked the case in a purse she
never used again and later stuffed deep into storage. Some peoples
kids....sigh

If I hadnt been on the road doing the service tech thing so much of
the time over the last 18 yrs...all this Stuff would have been gone
through a decade or more ago...but the money was too good to stop
during the Shining Times and we bought a ton of **** and ...tucked it
in every nook and cranny and cupboard and hidyhole in this place..and
its pretty good sized. Never again.

Some people think I kid when I say something is out back in the Stacks
O' Stuff. Im not. Not in the slightest.

Hell..you and Pytor have been here...

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 00:06:51 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

Went to the sporting goods store today to see what they had, bought a pound
of H335, W748, 500 Varmageddon 55gr bullets, and 100 Remington 223 brass.
They had a lot of W748 and only about 4 of the H335. I'm hoping to find
some CFE223 to try sometime. Anyway, got a couple of powders to try out.

RogerN

What were the prices like? Powder didnt really go up very high in
most places...but in some...shrug

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;
*window licker on the short bus*"

---

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2013 9:27 AM, RogerN wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I can find on
the shelves today, I have a list of recommended powders. Might get some
bullets and brass too if they have anything that I want.

RogerN

It pays to occasionally go out to a commercial range, Roger.

They usually let you pick up all the brass you can carry.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2013 9:56 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/26/2013 10:27 AM, RogerN wrote:
Thanks to everyone for all the info. I'm planning to see what I can
find on
the shelves today, I have a list of recommended powders. Might get some
bullets and brass too if they have anything that I want.

RogerN

Between inflation, and the political climate.
Buy more than you think you need, while it's
still available and affordable.

Looks like Walmart has about emptied the old stock at the warehouses.

While the "emergency" was on, they removed all ammo from the store
shelves. There just wasn't anything there to purchase at all.

But when the vote was finally over and it was safe to sell again
they seem to have dumped everything at the old prices.

I bought up a couple hundred rounds of 30-30 (now selling for $39/box)
at the old price of $14.95 a box.

That's not really a gloat.
One of my older boxes is marked $7.95.

Richard

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2013 7:46 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/26/2013 10:34 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Now we are putting it all back in place and damn but I keep finding
archery gear and bullets and brass I never remember owning. Granted..I
did have a stroke...but damn.....

Hell..I found 2 guns I dont remember ever buying tucked away in a
seldom opened cabinet...

Gunner

Hmm. We are expected to believe this?

Naw... It's just for entertainment.

Musta been
some heck of a stroke.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2013 7:44 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 10/26/2013 4:19 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 10:56:37 -0400, Stormin Mormon

Between inflation, and the political climate.
Buy more than you think you need, while it's
still available and affordable.

Inflation yes...political climate seems to be cooling off as the newbs
rinally realize that ammo will stay on the market..and they have their
stockpiles now.

I was in Walmart, a day or two ago. They did have
some ammo in the locked display case. Not sure if
it's getting much better. Only a few calibers.

Dunno know, stormo.

They did have a lot on the shelves - for a while.
At the original pre-problem prices, too.

But it's trickling down now.
They might be getting out of the arms market all together.

We'll see what next year brings.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2013 9:53 AM, RogerN wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

snip

What were the prices like? Powder didnt really go up very high in
most places...but in some...shrug

W748, $24
H335, $23
100 Remington 223 new brass, $28
Nosler Varmageddon 55gr, 500 for $65

some stuff I didn't buy but remember the price.
Primers $35/1000
223 loaded ammo, $10-$12 / 20

RogerN

Strangely enough, that's right about the same as what I'm seeing here.

30-30 loaded ammo $15/50 (Wally World) or ~$25/50 online at Alamo Ammo.

Well, dunno about the tiny bullet prices.
seems reasonable. https://alamoammo.com/rifle-ammo/223-5.56

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/25/2013 10:53 PM, Tom Gardner wrote:

I found the trick with that Lee powder dump is to vibrate it.

copy that

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2013 9:14 PM, Snag's Shop wrote:
I was just identifying and counting the lead balls for my muzzleloaders .
It's deer season up here on the Ozark Plateau , I can harvest 4
....Tomorrow's the last day of the muzzleloader hunt , but archery is open
til the end of February and there's a modern rifle season too . Next task ,
touch up the blades in my broadheads , they've been in storage ...
--
Snag
out in
the shop

And you'd likely know the old Revolutionary war
marching song "do your balls hang low..."

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/26/2013 10:34 PM, Gunner Asch wrote:
Now we are putting it all back in place and damn but I keep finding
archery gear and bullets and brass I never remember owning. Granted..I
did have a stroke...but damn.....

Hell..I found 2 guns I dont remember ever buying tucked away in a
seldom opened cabinet...

Gunner

Hmm. We are expected to believe this? Musta been
some heck of a stroke.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 10/27/2013 5:51 PM, RogerN wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:53:26 -0500,
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

snip

What were the prices like? Powder didnt really go up very high in
most places...but in some...shrug

W748, $24
H335, $23

Not bad...not great..but not bad

100 Remington 223 new brass, $28

See above.
Nosler Varmageddon 55gr, 500 for $65

See above.

some stuff I didn't buy but remember the price.
Primers $35/1000

Ouch!!

The most Ive ever paid for them was $20 a brick..I generally bought
them for $12 a brick at the gun shows. Im glad Ive some extra tucked
away. A lot of extra in fact.

The biggie is that I saved the $27.50 hazmat fee. I would have bought more
powder but I want to try both of them and see what works best in what I
have. Besides what I bought, I have about 2.5 lbs of Varget, had lots of
spills with it bridging the case neck. I'll find a little motor and put
something out of balance on the shaft to vibrate the measure when I use
Varget, maybe that will do the trick. I also like the Varget for my 22-250.

RogerN

I'm going to stick with hand measuring each charge because 5% margin is
not all that wide.

But it would be real nice if the powder dumper could hit the right
weight each time by itself. I wouldn't have to trickle on some, or
worse, take some out. That's what kills time.

That motor sounds like a fairly cleaver idea too, as long as it doesn't
spark off the powder.

.... careful chemist...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

[...]

Wish you were closer. I'd like to get out to your range with you some
time, and pick (what's left of) your brain, if nothing else. g

I found a Turkish mauser and a Brno mauser,...both 8mm and both about
5' long. Dont remember getting them. Both are in decent shooting
shape..so maybe Ill get to blow the dust out of them this coming week.
They were stuck in my hiking cabinet along with the martial arts
supplies..the swords and fighting staffs etc etc. No idea why they

Find any spare spear hafts in there?

were tucked into the very back. I was..frankly ..a bit goofy for about
a year after the stroke..and I found stuff in the damnedest places.
Course the wife might have stuck em in their when the kids moved in a
year ago..little kids..3 of them. But Ill have to look in the log
about where they came from. I never missed making an entry. Somethings
are ingrained. Shrug

Why wouldn't she have told you, or put them in your office chair,
where you couldn't miss 'em?

Now I simply have to find the log...its..somewhere....laugh. We did
empty 27 yrs worth of stuff out of this place..took it right down to
the dust in the heating vents..and its been stored
outside..everywhere. The wierd thing...this place has a really bad
echo when its empty. And Ive been noticing the echo start to diminish
as we put the stuff back in...one article at a time. No bugs are
coming back in in boxes. One article at a time.

Are you taking apart all the assemblies in boxes? Th' fookers hide
well. We had millions in the old Victorian home I rented in Phoenix
back in '72, and it took a gallon of Old Indian Head bug juice to kill
'em all. All the restaurants were using it there and it worked very
well.

They found a bedbug on the grand daughter at church..on her shoulder.
So everyone paniced. No bedbugs were found anywhere in this
place...and it was professionally checked. Just a ****load of desert
cockroaches. It cost $600 to have it fumigated..and Im still killing

Ouch! So, were the kids' mattresses and blankies at the church
checked? If it wasn't from your house, where was it from?

roaches..though they are walking around pretty stunned. The company
said it would be about 10 days before they were all gone and they will
be back Monday for a retreatment and Ive been keeping a record about
where they are found. I suspect they got in through a wall/floor joint
in the add-on to my reloading shop. I sprayed a ****load of bug
killer there yesterday..and Im seeing significantly fewer of them.
Bought foggers and will be putting them in the foundation tommorow.
Ive found albino roaches..pure white. Saved some of them for the bug
guys to look at. We never had em before the last couple moved
in...cringe..and suddenly we were finding them everywhere. Ive been

So, is that couple paying for the damned fumigation, I hope? Or have
they been banished already? (family or not, ya just can't have that)

bug free for 27 yrs..and then suddenly...Whamo! Though Im told the
bug guys are doing a box office business this year and Ive seen more
than one house tented and others with their stuff out in their yards
like we did...more than Ive ever seen before in this town. They were
worried about bedbugs..its become something of an epidemic across the
US and those little *******s are hard to find and harder to kill.
Thank Crom none were found here.

You bet! Locally, some folks are finding army worms invading their
yards and killing everything, including lawns.

We are going to have one hell of a yard sale in a couple weeks

We found stuff that we havent seen/used in a decade. Hell..I found an
unopened GALLON of high end Bacardi 151 rum. No idea of what that came
from either. Neither of us drink. Must have been something from a
party we threw years ago and the last wild party we had..was at least
15 yrs ago....or came in with one of the string of people we took in
and got back on their feet. Who knows...shrug. But its time to thin
out the crap and free up storage. I found a tube tester..a nice
professional grade vacum tube tester for radio/TV that Ive been
looking for for 5 yrs. My wife tends to simply Stuff stuff away out
of sight..out of mind....and Im going to have to beat her for that one
of these days....(G).

THAT's the attitude!

She finally admitted she hasnt been very careful..when she found a
pair of quarter caret diamond earrings she has been missing for 15 yrs
and had thought had been stolen. They were tucked away in a
sunglasses case along with a pair of high end RayBan sunglasses that
Id been missing for 15 yrs. She must have taken them off at some
point while we were out at a party or out sailing or something..and
put em in the case for safety..then tucked the case in a purse she
never used again and later stuffed deep into storage. Some peoples
kids....sigh

Oh, good. I guess those paid the fumigation bill. evil grinne

If I hadnt been on the road doing the service tech thing so much of
the time over the last 18 yrs...all this Stuff would have been gone
through a decade or more ago...but the money was too good to stop
during the Shining Times and we bought a ton of **** and ...tucked it
in every nook and cranny and cupboard and hidyhole in this place..and
its pretty good sized. Never again.

That was stocking up for today's times and the garage sale.
Kinda like squirrels, and the parallels are many there. ;

Some people think I kid when I say something is out back in the Stacks
O' Stuff. Im not. Not in the slightest.

Hell..you and Pytor have been here...

WE BELIEVE!

--
The beauty of the 2nd Amendment is that it will not be needed
until they try to take it. --Thomas Jefferson
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

But...
On the spur of the moment, it was quick and easy to make the baffle
from stiff clear plastic sheet,
and stuff it in the tube.

I'll watch and see if it helps?