Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
[email protected] stans4@prolynx.com is offline

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

On Monday, October 21, 2013 8:08:16 PM UTC-6, RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223. My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4 or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop. On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator, Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder bridging on the neck problem? RogerN

I use H335 and IMR4895 for .223, nothing but single stage Bonanza Benchrest presses and dies used, though. I've managed to pick up some CFE223, haven't loaded any yet. Every measure I've used needs several raps before and after to get consistant drops. H335 is fine stuff, tends to get between the drum and housing on the Lee powder measure I use for a lot of my loading, measure periodically has to be shut off, disassembled and the innards dumped out. Not a big deal, but happens every 100 rounds or so. IMR4895 meters well, haven't had a bridging problem, mostly because I rap the measure. The Lyman 45 measure I have has a cast-iron knocker attached right to the body, not a new problem.

Last show I was at a couple of weeks back had primers for $30/1000 and several vendors had powder. So might be supplies are picking up, or the hoarders and end-of-the-world preppers are coming to the end of their credit card limits.

Stan