Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:08:16 -0500, "RogerN"
wrote:

As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

Well...for 223....BL-C2 works pretty well. As does AA 2230 with a
close followup for H335 and Varget.

You do have a baffle in your powder measure..right? If not..make one.
It really really helps with the fine powders.

Gunner

--
"Their mommies tell them they're special, Liberals just don't understand
that "special" is a polite euphemism for;

---