Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Snag[_4_] Snag[_4_] is offline

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a
Lee LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and
jams up on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I
currently have Varget but am interested in finding spherical or a
finer grain powder that won't bridge up and spill like the Varget
does. Now I seem to have spills every 4 or 5 reloads, maybe I need
to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.
On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC,
X-Terminator, Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help
prevent the powder bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

WW748BR is a spherical powder , flows well and has good load density . I
had some a few years back for IIRC loading .222 for a TC Contender . Long
gone now .
That powder bridging problem can be reduced by using a longer drop tube on
your powder measure . Helps align the grains or something . Whacking the
measure too hard can cause packing and affect the weight of later charges
thrown with the measure .
Cool enough now to fire up the melt pot and cast a few hundred more
balls for the muzzleloader ...
--
Snag