Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

On 10/22/2013 11:01 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Mon, 21 Oct 2013 21:08:16 -0500,
wrote:

As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC, X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

Well...for 223....BL-C2 works pretty well. As does AA 2230 with a
close followup for H335 and Varget.

You do have a baffle in your powder measure..right? If not..make one.
It really really helps with the fine powders.

Gunner

Nope. Didn't have one.
Googled it, liked the idea, and I drew up a pattern for one for my own
powder measure. The pattern looks like a lemon with a small bite out of
each end.

Just to bring us _firmly_ back to metal working, ;^ I'll make it from
a piece of .017 6061-T6.
Punch the end openings with a 5/8 sheet metal punch, and just scissor
out the rest. (Ok, trim and file too) Bend 90 degrees and it's done.

Could also be made of plastic, wood veneer, stiff paper?, foam board,
etc. As long as it can stand the weight of the column of powder.

Winchester 748 is a very small ball.
It bounces!
Like like a zillion tiny little balls.

Obviously containment measures become important.

careful chemist, you know?