Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

On 10/22/2013 11:04 AM, Gunner Asch wrote:
On Wed, 23 Oct 2013 21:22:45 -0500,
wrote:

On 10/22/2013 12:18 PM, Richard wrote:
On 10/21/2013 9:08 PM, RogerN wrote:
As ammo was difficult to find and expensive for a while, I bought a Lee
LoadMaster progressive press I lucked out to find in 223.

My biggest problem is powder spills, the extruded powder bridges and
jams up
on the case neck, spilling out most of the charge. I currently have
Varget
but am interested in finding spherical or a finer grain powder that won't
bridge up and spill like the Varget does. Now I seem to have spills
every 4
or 5 reloads, maybe I need to whack the measure to get the powder to
drop.

On my list of powders to look for include CFE-223, H335, TAC,
X-Terminator,
Winchester 748. Any others? Or any tips to help prevent the powder
bridging on the neck problem?

RogerN

All I have ever used so far is Win 748.
It is a very small ball.

The Hornady book shows recommended loads for it.

Roger, on a side issue, I'm pushing cast bullets (Hardball alloy tm)
to 2000 FPS, which is pretty close to the edge for an old fashioned
rifle (and the lead!), so every charge is weighed on a balance beam
scale.

It goes slower, but safer!

Depending on both the powder and the method of operation of the
measure...some powders rarely need checking others...tricking it is
about all one can do to get it "perfect"

I have several of the old and superlative Ohaus "Duo-measures" that
Ive used for 30+ yrs..and they really really give consistant results.
Some of the others...not so much.

Gunner

Yeah, well, the balance beam is nuts-on.