Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard[_9_] Richard[_9_] is offline

Default Reloading Powder problems with 223

On 10/27/2013 5:51 PM, RogerN wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

On Sun, 27 Oct 2013 09:53:26 -0500,
wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message

snip

What were the prices like? Powder didnt really go up very high in
most places...but in some...shrug

W748, $24
H335, $23

Not bad...not great..but not bad

100 Remington 223 new brass, $28

See above.
Nosler Varmageddon 55gr, 500 for $65

See above.

some stuff I didn't buy but remember the price.
Primers $35/1000

Ouch!!

The most Ive ever paid for them was $20 a brick..I generally bought
them for $12 a brick at the gun shows. Im glad Ive some extra tucked
away. A lot of extra in fact.

The biggie is that I saved the $27.50 hazmat fee. I would have bought more
powder but I want to try both of them and see what works best in what I
have. Besides what I bought, I have about 2.5 lbs of Varget, had lots of
spills with it bridging the case neck. I'll find a little motor and put
something out of balance on the shaft to vibrate the measure when I use
Varget, maybe that will do the trick. I also like the Varget for my 22-250.

RogerN

I'm going to stick with hand measuring each charge because 5% margin is
not all that wide.

But it would be real nice if the powder dumper could hit the right
weight each time by itself. I wouldn't have to trickle on some, or
worse, take some out. That's what kills time.

That motor sounds like a fairly cleaver idea too, as long as it doesn't
spark off the powder.

.... careful chemist...