Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default I got to visit Tom at Ohio Brush

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour. I didn't make it
then, but found myself in the area once again, so I decided to take him up on
the invite. Surprised him, but he cheerfully showed me around the place, Ohio
Brush. Ohio Brush is in an old industrial area of Cleveland, called the
Buckeye-Woodland area as I recall. Judging from the buildings being torn down
in the same area, it may be one of the last companies on the block.

It was quite interesting, and a real contrast to the ultra high-speed brush
machines shown on "How it's Made". Ohio Brush has been family owned since 1879,
and some of the machines are nearly a century old. One machine is the first one
he designed, when he was 16! It had what looked like a giant chain saw blade,
and each tooth grabbed a bundle of wires as it came by and moved them into
position. It's pretty neat watching the machines drilling holes and stuffing
bristles in them, all done by mechanical cams, no electronics.

The wooden brush heads are made from polished select maple, not a blemish in
sight. Tom explained that his market is primarily specialty brushes, since the
cheap imports have taken over the common brushes. Many of the brushes being
made I have never seen before, such as the double sided brushes (one side with
flattened scraper wires, the other with standard bristles) with 4' long wooden
handles for reaching deep into commercial grills or ovens to clean them.

They machine their own tooling on site, with several vintage lathes. One Warner
& Swasey turret lathe was dedicated to roll engraving and threading some small
parts. There were two more lathes in the tooling area, one was Reed-Prentice. A
Brideport stood a short distance away. Machinery is tucked into every available
corner. The air is filled with the smell of freshly cut wood, and a steady
chung, chung, chung from the machines.

Tom is a very nice guy, and I certainly hope that he and Ohio Brush continue
making quality brushes in the good ol' US.

--
Dennis

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"DT" wrote in message
news:8q6dnVrjkOBMPbDVnZ2dnUVZ_v3inZ2d@wideopenwest .com...
[...]

I was on good behavior that day! Next time, come for lunch! There are a
few nice hole-in-wall restaurants in the area that have good food and
vintage atmosphere. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and you were lucky to
see the cats awake...a rare sight, unless they are hunting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message

I was on good behavior that day! Next time, come for lunch! There are a
few nice hole-in-wall restaurants in the area that have good food and
vintage atmosphere. I'm glad you enjoyed your visit and you were lucky to
see the cats awake...a rare sight, unless they are hunting.

Hi Tom,
Too bad I was not aware of your company when I visited Cleveland in 2004.
Came to Cleveland to see if there were any remaining remnants or the
Hungarian immigrant community. The answer was no. Like good Americans they
had assimilated, married others and moved away. I'm sure part of it was the
'urban flight' phenomena seen throughout the country in the 50's and 60's.
My parents (and others in the 50's) always spoke of Hungarian friends and
the great community in Cleveland.
We did visit the Hungarian museum, found three restaurants and 4 bakeries.
All had to be tried. Visiting you brush factory would have been a lot more
interesting than the Rock and Roll Museum.

Tom, keep on making brushes. One day I will also come and visit.

Ivan Vegvary,
(stuck in Oregon where most of the residents think that a Deli is where you
play lottery games).
Oh, the wonderful ethnic foods and Delicatessen's in Cleveland!!!!!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DT wrote:
During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour.

Dennis, you're a lucky guy. Sounds like Tom's factory is quite a place.
If I was on the same continent, I'd love to visit!

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

DT wrote:

[...]

Did you have the DTs before, or after meeting Tom? ;-)

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Errol Groff wrote:

On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:57:21 -0500, (DT)
wrote:

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour.

Lasst summer my pal Norm Jones and I visited Tom also. Photos are
he

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_...sh_company.htm

Regards,

Errol Groff

Thanks Errol. Those are great, it's nice to be able to put a face
on another one of the names here in RCM.
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in
the same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour.

Lasst summer my pal Norm Jones and I visited Tom also. Photos are
he

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_...sh_company.htm

Regards,

Errol Groff

Thanks Errol. Those are great, it's nice to be able to put a face
on another one of the names here in RCM.
...lew...

Errol Photochopped my pictures, I really have more hair and I'm much thinner!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 16:11:34 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Errol Groff quickly quoth:

wrote:

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour.

Lasst summer my pal Norm Jones and I visited Tom also. Photos are
he

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_...sh_company.htm

Ohmigod! NOT the one of Tawm in the shorts in the sunlight, blinding
everyone with his lily white legs!

Another fun field trip report. Thanks, Errol.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Fri, 16 May 2008 22:49:58 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Lew Hartswick" wrote in message

Thanks Errol. Those are great, it's nice to be able to put a face
on another one of the names here in RCM.
...lew...

Errol Photochopped my pictures, I really have more hair and I'm much thinner!

At least you didn't lie about those damned blinding legs, Tawm.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour.

Lasst summer my pal Norm Jones and I visited Tom also. Photos are
he

http://neme-s.org/Oshkosh_2007/Ohio_...sh_company.htm

Ohmigod! NOT the one of Tawm in the shorts in the sunlight, blinding
everyone with his lily white legs!

Another fun field trip report. Thanks, Errol.

AHHHHH!!!!!!!!! My eyes! My poor bleeding eyes!!!!!!! ;-)

To be fair, here is a picture of me that taken about four years ago,
right after being stuck in bed for almost two years.
http://home.earthlink.net/~mike.terrell/me.jpg Put down that coffee cup
or Mtn. Dew before taking a look. You definitely don't want to see my
scarred up legs, so the picture was cropped for your protection.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

It's so cool to have visitors, I'm always happy to show people around and I
notice they always find my little treasures like Dennis found my Reed-Prentice
and Errol found my Arter. Nobody's noticed my air pumps are on pallet racks,
which I think is especially cool 'cuz they take little floor space. I do have
to apologize about the clutter that I'm oblivious to, yet shows up nicely in
photos.

I'd love to see your place one of these days. You are about 7 hours from
where I live. It would be cool to stop by the day before NAMES next year. I
could leave home at 5am and be there by noon. Not much earlier leaving the
house than a normal work day.

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 10:48:36 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
.. .
On Fri, 16 May 2008 09:57:21 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm,
(DT) quickly quoth:

During a discussion a year or so ago, when I posted that I was working in the
same area as his company, Tom said to drop on in for a tour. I didn't make it
then, but found myself in the area once again, so I decided to take him up on
the invite. Surprised him, but he cheerfully showed me around the place, Ohio
Brush. Ohio Brush is in an old industrial area of Cleveland, called the
Buckeye-Woodland area as I recall. Judging from the buildings being torn down
in the same area, it may be one of the last companies on the block.

Cool field trip report, Dennis. Atta Boy, Tawm!

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)

It's so cool to have visitors, I'm always happy to show people around and I
notice they always find my little treasures like Dennis found my Reed-Prentice
and Errol found my Arter. Nobody's noticed my air pumps are on pallet racks,
which I think is especially cool 'cuz they take little floor space. I do have
to apologize about the clutter that I'm oblivious to, yet shows up nicely in
photos.

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Wes" wrote in message
"Tom Gardner" wrote:

It's so cool to have visitors, I'm always happy to show people around and I
notice they always find my little treasures like Dennis found my Reed-Prentice
and Errol found my Arter. Nobody's noticed my air pumps are on pallet racks,
which I think is especially cool 'cuz they take little floor space. I do have
to apologize about the clutter that I'm oblivious to, yet shows up nicely in
photos.

I'd love to see your place one of these days. You are about 7 hours from
where I live. It would be cool to stop by the day before NAMES next year. I
could leave home at 5am and be there by noon. Not much earlier leaving the
house than a normal work day.

Wes

Noon's good, coincides with "Lunch"...mysteriously!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

It's so cool to have visitors, I'm always happy to show people around and
notice they always find my little treasures like Dennis found my
Reed-Prentice and Errol found my Arter. Nobody's noticed my air pumps are
on pallet racks, which I think is especially cool 'cuz they take little
floor space. I do have to apologize about the clutter that I'm oblivious
to, yet shows up nicely in photos.

Hi Tom,

I enjoyed looking at the photos, an amazing business you have there. I
noticed the clutter, and it got me thinking that I quite often see clutter
where creative people are at work.

When I saw your clutter, what I saw was incredible creativity, focus on
getting good quality products out the door, and keeping the door open and
people employed in a very competive environment. Please don't appolgise for
that !! or worse, start cleaning up!

I know when I get focussed on something, I can't see the mess I 'm
creating, until I notice I can't put a foot down on the floor anywhere! I
usually move on to the next part of the process before cleaning up.

regards,
John

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Noon's good, coincides with "Lunch"...mysteriously!

I'm a big fan of lunch.

Wes

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Wes wrote:

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

Noon's good, coincides with "Lunch"...mysteriously!

I'm a big fan of lunch.

Wes

Me too, even if its late in the day when I can finaly eat.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

Use any search engine other than Google till they stop polluting USENET
with porn and junk commercial SPAM

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"John Johnson" wrote in message

[...]

It depends on how many people use the shop. We now have four with my new
part-time machinist. In order to decrease non-productive time looking for
tooling and materials, we have made a lot of progress in having better
procedures for clean-up and set storage places.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 17 May 2008 17:06:16 -0400, Wes wrote:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Even my pack-rat second son claims to have trouble navigating my
"shop"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Gunner gingerly raises his hand...knocking over a pile of Stuff

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 21:13:28 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gerald Miller quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Even my pack-rat second son claims to have trouble navigating my
"shop"

Maybe, if we had fewer than sixteen dozen projects running at the same
time...

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sun, 18 May 2008 23:14:29 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner Asch quickly quoth:

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Gunner gingerly raises his hand...knocking over a pile of Stuff

Yabbut, you've got before and after pics of when your shop was
reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeallly hosed, erm, messy. It's sweet now.

-
Press HERE to arm. (Release to detonate.)
-----------
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Gunner gingerly raises his hand...knocking over a pile of Stuff

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean
end.

Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Gunner gingerly raises his hand...knocking over a pile of Stuff

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean
end.

Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional,
illogical liberal minority, and rabidly promoted by an
unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the
proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Larry Jaques wrote:

Yeah, cameras are notorious for that, aren't they? You'll note that I
never take shots of my shop. ****, I can hardly walk around in there.
A fire marshall would have a field day there.

I bet my shop is nastier than yours. (I may have competition from dark
horse candidates though)

Wes

Gunner gingerly raises his hand...knocking over a pile of Stuff

You have enough room to raise your hand? Jeez I wish I had a shop like
that!

--

Richard

Email address is valid but remove burrs before sending!
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Mon, 19 May 2008 22:17:30 -0400, "Tom Gardner"
wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .

snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Hell yeah Tom! But then again, I'll bet you perfected that flowery
language when filling out your annual Fire Insurance renewal forms for
the O.B. shop complex... ;-P

By the way, did you ever get the rafters cleaned off?

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
.. .
snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Hell yes. Something to expire to.

er....aspire....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 01:52:25 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm,
Gunner quickly quoth:

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..
snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Hell yes. Something to expire to.

er....aspire.... G

Yes, "aspire." Falling on your sword (or a box of various long
lengths of rebar/small threaded rod) is something to expire to.

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Hell yes. Something to expire to.

er....aspire.... G

Yes, "aspire." Falling on your sword (or a box of various long
lengths of rebar/small threaded rod) is something to expire to.

Or having something fall off a stack and hit you in the melon....

Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
. ..

snip
Your shop area is immaculate, well organized, intuitive, productive,
perfectly lit and is the epitome of what I strive to achieve!

****...while your compliment is appreciated..you really need to come
over and check it out for yourself.
I issue hard hats and fallen man locators at the door before entry.

Gunner

You have to admit, it sounded good!

Hell yeah Tom! But then again, I'll bet you perfected that flowery
language when filling out your annual Fire Insurance renewal forms for
the O.B. shop complex... ;-P

By the way, did you ever get the rafters cleaned off?

-- Bruce --

I hired two fire system companies, one to bring the entire shop up to snuff
including certifying our sprinkler heads for the next ten years. They are over
fifty years old. They replaced hangers, valves, gauges and everything else that
was in question. The other company certified the pump, underground plumbing and
everything else. Next time the Fire Department or insurance inspectors show up
they will have a folder full of certifications and not a peep will be heard from
them! I contracted a company to clean and paint the ceiling white, that should
better my lighting.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:03:56 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, "Tom
Gardner" quickly quoth:

"Bruce L. Bergman" wrote in message
.. .
By the way, did you ever get the rafters cleaned off?

I hired two fire system companies, one to bring the entire shop up to snuff
including certifying our sprinkler heads for the next ten years. They are over
fifty years old.

Yabbut, they've never been used.

They replaced hangers, valves, gauges and everything else that
was in question. The other company certified the pump, underground plumbing and
everything else. Next time the Fire Department or insurance inspectors show up
they will have a folder full of certifications and not a peep will be heard from
them!

Goodonya, Tawm.

I contracted a company to clean and paint the ceiling white, that should
better my lighting.

It's amazing how a coat of pure white eggshell paint will make a shop
glow. Mine looked like I'd quadrupled the lighting when I got done
painting the floor white, too. Of course, I can't even SEE the floor
or most of the walls now...

--
The best and safest thing is to keep a balance in your life,
acknowledge the great powers around us and in us. If you can
do that, and live that way, you are really a wise man.
-- Euripides
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I contracted a company to clean and paint the ceiling white, that should
better my lighting.

If I get a chance to visit you next year, that would be great for bounce
flash for any picture you feel confortable having me take.

Wes
in their eyes." Dick Anthony Heller
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Thu, 22 May 2008 19:49:01 -0400, with neither quill nor qualm, Wes
quickly quoth:

"Tom Gardner" wrote:

I contracted a company to clean and paint the ceiling white, that should
better my lighting.

If I get a chance to visit you next year, that would be great for bounce
flash for any picture you feel confortable having me take.

Nah. Too much glare of his bald spot. gd&r