Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Albert

Default Making a handle and a shaft

I have searched using the internet for answers but I can't find it
there and neither can I find it in the information that my teacher has
given me.

A tool designer wants to make a new screw driver. What metal could he
employ as (a) the handle and (b) the shaft? Why?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Stealth Pilot

On 13 May 2006 22:45:06 -0700, "Albert"
wrote:

I have searched using the internet for answers but I can't find it
there and neither can I find it in the information that my teacher has
given me.

A tool designer wants to make a new screw driver. What metal could he
employ as (a) the handle and (b) the shaft? Why?

chrome vanadium steel for the shaft because it can be rapidly heat
forged to shape and heat treated to a high strength.

injection moulded plastic for the handle because it can be formed into
intricate ergonomic shapes and can be produced in a wide range of eye
catching colours.

have you ever bought and used a screwdriver?
why is this difficult?
Stealth pilot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

That made my day!
wrote:

I have searched using the internet for answers but I can't find it
there and neither can I find it in the information that my teacher has
given me.

A tool designer wants to make a new screw driver. What metal could he
employ as (a) the handle and (b) the shaft? Why?

(a)The handle should not be metal, it should be hardwood. Choose the one
that has the best appearance or is the most endangered. Somebody will
buy it for a premium because it's cool.

(b)The shaft should be a soft metal like mercury because it will easily
conform to any screw configuration.

(c)Do your own homework.

(d)We're all screwed. The particular tool doesn't matter.

(e)What's your target market?

(f)What materials would you choose that are most cheaply available in
China and will look like a screwdriver to the average consumer?

(g)I'm drunk, otherwise I wouldn't have replied.

(h)*** http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_episodes.php ***
A screwdriver is too simple but you can get good advice on other more
complicated drinks.

Finally -- Getting a good handle on your shaft is important. Many
experts recommend having your shaft well and frequently handled. It can
facilitate the subsequent screwing.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson

We made screwdrivers in 9th grade shop in 1965 that looked just like
commercial screwdrivers.
We pounded on the tool steel on the forge, then filed to shape, and then
heated it red hot and dunked in oil, and while still hot and cooling,
scratched off the scale with emery cloth to see the blue color and then
dunked in water.
We sawed off a piece of translucent yellow plastic handle material, cut
to shape and drilled the shaft hole on the lathe.
We heated up the metal and pushed it in the handle.
We dunked the finished product in acetone, which dissolved all the
imperfections of the plastic finish.

--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors or war, stress, and possibly
death.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"xray" wrote: (clip) A screwdriver is too simple but you can get good
advice on other more complicated drinks. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Q. What do you call the drink made with vodka and milk of magnesia?

A. A Phillips screwdriver.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
We made screwdrivers in 9th grade shop in 1965 that looked just like
commercial screwdrivers.
We pounded on the tool steel on the forge, then filed to shape, and then
heated it red hot and dunked in oil, and while still hot and cooling,
scratched off the scale with emery cloth to see the blue color and then
dunked in water.
We sawed off a piece of translucent yellow plastic handle material, cut to
shape and drilled the shaft hole on the lathe.
We heated up the metal and pushed it in the handle.
We dunked the finished product in acetone, which dissolved all the
imperfections of the plastic finish.

Snip

You did all that in school shop ???? My God Man, and no one died, got
maimed, got their feelings hurt, grew a second head from the fumes, or
needed a lawyer ??????

Maybe if we had classes like this still, we would not have questions like
the OP asked.

Jeff

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"xray" wrote in message ***
A screwdriver is too simple but you can get good advice on other more
complicated drinks.

Finally -- Getting a good handle on your shaft is important. Many
experts recommend having your shaft well and frequently handled. It can
facilitate the subsequent screwing.

Don't forget to oil it up good first.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

[...]

A mere 22 years ago in gunsmith school (college) one of the first projects
was a set of quality screwdrivers. I made mine out of allen wrenches and
rosewood.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

"xray" wrote: (clip) A screwdriver is too simple but you can get good
advice on other more complicated drinks. (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Q. What do you call the drink made with vodka and milk of magnesia?

A. A Phillips screwdriver.

Or by it's other name, "Pile Driver"

Bob Swinney

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

In shop class in 1985 or 86, we made a ballpeen hammer and center punch
set. Formed on the lathe, and then case hardened. Learned to use the 3
and 4 jaw chucks, knurl, drill, thread, polish, etc. I don't think they
teach kids stuff like that anymore. Just last night I dug out a Modern
Metalworking text book from 1965, alot of interesting info in there for
sure.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Just Jim

Clark Magnuson wrote:
We made screwdrivers in 9th grade shop in 1965 that looked just like
commercial screwdrivers.
We pounded on the tool steel on the forge, then filed to shape, and then
heated it red hot and dunked in oil, and while still hot and cooling,
scratched off the scale with emery cloth to see the blue color and then
dunked in water.
We sawed off a piece of translucent yellow plastic handle material, cut
to shape and drilled the shaft hole on the lathe.
We heated up the metal and pushed it in the handle.
We dunked the finished product in acetone, which dissolved all the
imperfections of the plastic finish.

I did the same thing Sophomore year in high school, that was 2000-2001
School year. As far as I know my high school was one of only 2 or 3 in
the state (Illinois) that still had a metalworking program. That is
until the teacher retired last year. I have heard from current students
that the program has gone straight to hell since then. That shop
teacher worked there for 35 years and he was the program.

--
Jim
I owe my career in Tool & Die to that teacher...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Just Jim" wrote

Though not too far away in Bristol WI.

--
Jim

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the fireworks
for Progress Days.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Just Jim

Tom Wait wrote:

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the fireworks
for Progress Days.
Tom

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having. At least in WI your average
joe can buy some neat bottle rockets and misc. crap like that. All they
gave us in Illinois were sparklers...

--
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 15 May 2006 13:09:04 -0700, Just Jim wrote:

Tom Wait wrote:

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the fireworks
for Progress Days.

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having. At least in WI your average
joe can buy some neat bottle rockets and misc. crap like that. All they
gave us in Illinois were sparklers...

I've heard that the fireworks folks around here (Bartolatta's) will
train you so you can be on the crew. I've been doing the
firefighter/EMT thing for a long time, I wonder if that'd improve my
chances. Would be fun, if only once. Tom, who do you go through?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

Tom Wait wrote:

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the fireworks
for Progress Days.

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having. At least in WI your average
joe can buy some neat bottle rockets and misc. crap like that. All they
gave us in Illinois were sparklers...

I've heard that the fireworks folks around here (Bartolatta's) will
train you so you can be on the crew. I've been doing the
firefighter/EMT thing for a long time, I wonder if that'd improve my
chances. Would be fun, if only once. Tom, who do you go through?

Would probably increase the chances a lot. I bet the insurance
companies like it when you have a few trained people on the crew to
handle problems, and if they can get people on each crew with an
Advanced FA or EMT I'll bet their Workers' Comp rates will go down.

At the least, it can't hurt to ask. If they don't have the
discount, they might be persuaded to invent it.

I've been back there while they are shooting by hand - but I also
know what type of mess a Low Burst shell can make, when it gets 10
feet out of the tube and the show charge goes off...

Thank you, but I think I'll stay a few hundred feet away and let
them use an electronic firing system.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:42:26 GMT, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
On 15 May 2006 20:38:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I've heard that the fireworks folks around here (Bartolatta's) will
train you so you can be on the crew. I've been doing the
firefighter/EMT thing for a long time, I wonder if that'd improve my
chances. Would be fun, if only once. Tom, who do you go through?

Would probably increase the chances a lot. I bet the insurance
companies like it when you have a few trained people on the crew to
handle problems, and if they can get people on each crew with an
Advanced FA or EMT I'll bet their Workers' Comp rates will go down.

Well, to be fair, there's not a lot an EMT will be able to do if someone
has their head in the way when one of the shells goes off or something,
but minor stuff where the body is mostly intact, sure.

I've been back there while they are shooting by hand - but I also
know what type of mess a Low Burst shell can make, when it gets 10
feet out of the tube and the show charge goes off...

Pucker-factor pretty high then, I'd imagine.

Thank you, but I think I'll stay a few hundred feet away and let
them use an electronic firing system.

Some things are best enjoyed from a bit of a distance, yes.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Just Jim

Dave Hinz wrote:

Some things are best enjoyed from a bit of a distance, yes.

Funny, I could say the same thing about some of the meals my Fiancee
comes up with...

--
Jim

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Just Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Wait wrote:

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the

fireworks
for Progress Days.
Tom

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having.

It's the most fun you can have with you pants on. We're always looking for
more operators. If you can pass some scrutiny of your past, (background
check) and don't mind giving up a family holiday to work we can use you.
It's a lot of work setting up a show. Depending on the size of the show we
might start setting up anywhere from 9am to 5pm. unloading equipment digging
holes and loading. At showtime around 9:30 or 10 you bust your balls for
half an hour while being showered with flaming bits of shells and guns going
off inches from your body throwing up to 6" shells up 300-400 feet or
higher. It's noisy dirty potentially dangerous, if you do something stupid,
work, and I love it. I've been shooting for 18 years, my wife has been
shooting for fourteen. Once you've smelled the smoke you'll never be the
same.

At least in WI your average
joe can buy some neat bottle rockets and misc. crap like that. All they
gave us in Illinois were sparklers...

Once you've shot display fireworks the class C stuff isn't much fun any
more.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Tom Wait wrote:

Nice little town, Bristol. I'll be there on July 8 shooting the

fireworks
for Progress Days.

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having. At least in WI your average
joe can buy some neat bottle rockets and misc. crap like that. All they
gave us in Illinois were sparklers...

I've heard that the fireworks folks around here (Bartolatta's) will
train you so you can be on the crew. I've been doing the
firefighter/EMT thing for a long time, I wonder if that'd improve my
chances. Would be fun, if only once. Tom, who do you go through?

OH NO!! You've said the B word. Bartaxxxxx GAG Choke!!

I shoot for Melrose Pyrotechnics. We train you also. There's a mandatory
meeting in June for all newbies. There is equipment set up to demonstrate,
dummy shells, safety videos and a open book test. There are plenty of old
timers there to help the new folks. Crew assignments are made then. The main
operators usually shoot the same shows year to year and their crews for the
most part follow. When I get the meeting date I'll let you know.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

Tom Wait wrote:

[...]

The firemen at Bristol were scared ****less last year. It was so dry, they
soaked the long grass around the shooting site 3 times and we still lit the
grass up. There were grass fires immediatley in front of the racks where we
were loading and shooting. I'm screaming where's the fire department when
you need em? They were 100' away watching it burn. I had to stop shooting
for a short time so they could put out the fire. It's not for everyone. Some
say we're nuts but until last year there hasn't been a serious injury on a
WI Melrose show as long as I've been there. We take safety very seriously.

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Just Jim

Tom Wait wrote:

I shoot for Melrose Pyrotechnics. We train you also. There's a mandatory
meeting in June for all newbies. There is equipment set up to demonstrate,
dummy shells, safety videos and a open book test. There are plenty of old
timers there to help the new folks. Crew assignments are made then. The main
operators usually shoot the same shows year to year and their crews for the
most part follow. When I get the meeting date I'll let you know.
Tom

Cool, look forward to hearing from you. I think my fiancee would be
pretty interested in helping out too if you got the room. Let me know
where we need to be for that meeting.

--
Jim

(Don't tell her i made the crack about her cooking...)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 16 May 2006 19:22:15 GMT, Tom Wait wrote:

"Just Jim" wrote in message
oups.com...

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having.

It's the most fun you can have with you pants on. We're always looking for
more operators. If you can pass some scrutiny of your past, (background
check) and don't mind giving up a family holiday to work we can use you.

I've got no concerns about passing a background check, can you get me in
touch with the right people, Tom?

It's noisy dirty potentially dangerous, if you do something stupid,
work, and I love it. I've been shooting for 18 years, my wife has been
shooting for fourteen. Once you've smelled the smoke you'll never be the
same.

Understood.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Wait

"Dave Hinz" wrote "Just Jim"
wrote

Now theres a job I wouldn't mind having.

I've got no concerns about passing a background check, can you get me in
touch with the right people, Tom?

Understood.

I'm the right people.
I just opened my mail. The meeting is June 11 in Menominee Falls. E-mail me
off line with your full name, address SS# and DOB. I'll tell the boss to
send you the letter I got. Remove the pyrotechnic device from my email addy.
We should get together once before that date.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Just Jim

Tom Wait wrote: