Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default Making a handle and a shaft

On Tue, 16 May 2006 02:42:26 GMT, Bruce L Bergman wrote:
On 15 May 2006 20:38:51 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

I've heard that the fireworks folks around here (Bartolatta's) will
train you so you can be on the crew. I've been doing the
firefighter/EMT thing for a long time, I wonder if that'd improve my
chances. Would be fun, if only once. Tom, who do you go through?

Would probably increase the chances a lot. I bet the insurance
companies like it when you have a few trained people on the crew to
handle problems, and if they can get people on each crew with an
Advanced FA or EMT I'll bet their Workers' Comp rates will go down.

Well, to be fair, there's not a lot an EMT will be able to do if someone
has their head in the way when one of the shells goes off or something,
but minor stuff where the body is mostly intact, sure.

I've been back there while they are shooting by hand - but I also
know what type of mess a Low Burst shell can make, when it gets 10
feet out of the tube and the show charge goes off...

Pucker-factor pretty high then, I'd imagine.

Thank you, but I think I'll stay a few hundred feet away and let
them use an electronic firing system.

Some things are best enjoyed from a bit of a distance, yes.