Alun Saunders

Default Making handle for shell auger

I've just bought an unhandled shell auger, and want to make a handle for
it. That's not a problem, but I'm a little curious about how to actually
fit the auger into the handle once I've made it. On the non business
end, it's got what I can only describe as a blunt spear head, presumably
this stops the whole thing rotating in the handle.

So, do I just drill a hole the same diameter as the shaft of the auger
and somehow force the "spearhead" into this hole, or is there something
else I should be doing. I guess I'll need some kind of ferrule too.

TIA,

--
Alun Saunders
Steven Raphael

If the tang of the shell auger is tapered I would drill the hole about 2
sizes smaller than the largest section of the tapered portion of the tang.
Make sure the ferrule is in place before trying to insert the tang into the
handle if it is not in place when you put the auger tang into the handle it
may split the wood.

I could be wrong about this when it comes to a shell auger but when I have
made file handles that is the way that I make them and it has worked well
for me.

Peter Hyde

Alun Saunders wrote in message ...
I've just bought an unhandled shell auger, and want to make a handle for
it. That's not a problem, but I'm a little curious about how to actually
fit the auger into the handle once I've made it. On the non business
end, it's got what I can only describe as a blunt spear head, presumably
this stops the whole thing rotating in the handle.

So, do I just drill a hole the same diameter as the shaft of the auger
and somehow force the "spearhead" into this hole, or is there something
else I should be doing. I guess I'll need some kind of ferrule too.

TIA,

Alun,
normally the auger would go into a carpenter's 2 jaw brace. Sometimes
a wood handle was fitted so as to form a T. To do this all you need is
a suitably sized piece of round stock which you can chop a square
tapered mortise into. Sometimes to add strength and prevent the auger
pulling out of the handle, I have seen the square "blunt spear head"
drilled and tapped in the end to take a bolt with a backing washer.

Metal Door & Handle BigWallop UK diy 1 June 15th 04 08:00 AM
Screw Making: Making a rounded edge on the screw tip George Sohnle Metalworking 6 October 30th 03 06:36 PM