Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default warning about lever handle style door locks

The rant about locksmithing below reminded me of this.

I just installed a lockset on my back door. It is the kind with the lever
style handle. While installing it I noticed that to replace the locking
core, you needed to depress a tab and the handle would slide off exposing
the core to be removed and replaced. I was shocked to realize that the tab
was on the outer handle (key side) and that anyone could easily remove the
handle and actuate the lock with any handy tool like a needle nose plier.
The handle was Kwikset but a trip to the store showed that virtually all
(consumer / residential) locksets with this style handle suffered the same
flaw. Round handle door locks do not seem to have this problem.

Who cares if the lock is pick resistant when you can remove it with your
fingernail!!!

I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior door
unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock and do use
the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior locks)
http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential lever)

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

PipeDown wrote:
[...]

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit

Posted to alt.home.repair
louie

A lock is only as good as the door jamb it's locking into. If the door
was installed without a metal backing plate behind the jamb, a properly
applied shoulder to the door is all that is needed to break it. I've
had to do this once and I managed it on the first try with only a 2
step lead up and about 1/4 of my 170lb weight.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening
unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical
sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the
framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article ,
says...
Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening
unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical
sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the
framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.

True, but the insurance company is happy. Locks aren't to keep
criminals out (how many windows do you have?). They're there to
make insurance companys happy, keep honest people honest, and
criminals next door. ;-)

--
Keith

Posted to alt.home.repair
Stubby

Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

Joseph Meehan wrote:

PipeDown wrote:

SNIP

[...]

But you will have to pay the deductable ($1000 in my case) everytime you
get broken into. And then your rate will start going up.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Keith Williams

In article , William.Plummer-
says...
Keith Williams wrote:
In article ,
says...

Joseph Meehan wrote:

PipeDown wrote:

SNIP

[...]

Maybe, but the fact is that the most expensive lockset in the world
won't protect you from a burglar comming in the window next to the
door.

--
Keith
Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Oops me bad, I took a closer look and the condition I described only occurs
if the lock is 1/2 turned. I inadvertantly didn't notice that the lock was
this way the first time I inspected it. The handle does appear locked in
this state and is easily left that way if one is careless nonetheless when
the lock is fully locked or unlocked, I cannot depress the release tab.

A modist security problem now, not as bad as I thought. Forgive me for the
false alarm.

"PipeDown" wrote in message
ink.net...
[...]

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Speedy Jim" wrote in message
et...
Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening
unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical
sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the
framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.

I might not have used the word worthless, but without proper
installation, they are only marginally better than in handle locks.

Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Keith Williams" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
[...]

Exactly. My father, the locksmith, always said, all you need do is to
make sure your home looks harder to break into than your neighbors and that
it is not a more attractive (richer) target.

--
Keith