Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default warning about lever handle style door locks

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit
"Keith Williams" wrote in message
T...
In article ,
says...
Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm
(residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you
can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening
unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical
sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the
framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.

True, but the insurance company is happy. Locks aren't to keep
criminals out (how many windows do you have?). They're there to
make insurance companys happy, keep honest people honest, and
criminals next door. ;-)

Exactly. My father, the locksmith, always said, all you need do is to
make sure your home looks harder to break into than your neighbors and that
it is not a more attractive (richer) target.

--
Keith