Posted to alt.home.repair
Speedy Jim

Default warning about lever handle style door locks

Joseph Meehan wrote:
PipeDown wrote:

SNIP
I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

And the deadbolt is useless in a typical wood-framed opening
unless a security strike plate is installed. The typical
sheet metal strike with puny screws will rip out of the
framing/molding with one swift kick to the door.