Posted to alt.home.repair
Joseph Meehan

Default warning about lever handle style door locks

PipeDown wrote:
The rant about locksmithing below reminded me of this.

I just installed a lockset on my back door. It is the kind with the
lever style handle. While installing it I noticed that to replace
the locking core, you needed to depress a tab and the handle would
slide off exposing the core to be removed and replaced. I was
shocked to realize that the tab was on the outer handle (key side)
and that anyone could easily remove the handle and actuate the lock
with any handy tool like a needle nose plier. The handle was Kwikset
but a trip to the store showed that virtually all (consumer /
residential) locksets with this style handle suffered the same flaw. Round
handle door locks do not seem to have this problem.
Who cares if the lock is pick resistant when you can remove it with
your fingernail!!!

I recommend that no one install this type of handle on an exterior
door unless you also install a deadbolt and use it. I kept the lock
and do use the deadbolt.

http://www.kwikset.com/Products/defa.../Details/Lido/ (exterior
locks) http://consumer.schlage.com/main/prodcat/prodcat.htm (residential
lever)

Always have a deadbolt lock. Do you have any idea how easy it is to
open almost any residential door with a hammer? One swing and in you can
go. A good professionally installed lock is a lot harder, but I would
still look for that deadbolt.

--
Joseph Meehan

Dia duit