AArDvarK

Default wooden tool handle finishing

Search terms, nothing works:

tool handle finish
tool handle varnish
tool handle shellac
tool handle urethane
tool handle coating
tool handle gloss *?
tool handle glaze *?
tool handle japanning
clear japanning
"japanning for wood"
"for wooden tool handles"
"for wood tool handles"

AND I KNOW I HAVE SEEN IT! ... sometime in the past.
I would love to find a thick, super hard, fast drying clear
coat, anyone know? I tried MW spar urethane but that stuff
seems a bit rediculous... 24 hours later the first coat is soft
in the thicker (run) areas, a hanging hand saw handle. You
know, you gotta coat the whole handle and hang it to dry.
Then when I sand it, I go lightly enough, and most of it
simply sands right off the wood! It seems totaly futile. Any
good ideas, or the right product out there?

Alex

Morris Dovey

AArDvarK wrote:

[...]

Try DAGS "handle coating" (without quotes).

(-:

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

George

Oil - the kind that comes from human hands, with perhaps a bit of sweat.

That's what I use.

"AArDvarK" wrote in message

Search terms, nothing works:

tool handle finish

Any
good ideas, or the right product out there?

AArDvarK

Try DAGS "handle coating" (without quotes).

Lots of tools with handle coating, tool dip, and what in the world is "DAGS"?
Alex

Morris Dovey

AArDvarK wrote:

Try DAGS "handle coating" (without quotes).

Lots of tools with handle coating, tool dip, and what in the
world is "DAGS"?

Do/Doing/Did a Google Search.

I did a Google search on "handle coating" and found all kinds of
handle coatings - ranging from a fast-drying hard epoxy product
to a cushioned high-friction dip coating - on the first screenful.

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA

Andy Dingley

On Thu, 12 Aug 2004 01:17:48 -0700, "AArDvarK"
wrote:
I would love to find a thick, super hard, fast drying clear
coat, anyone know?

Try the stuf they use on Chinese-made brickie's lump hammers. It's
distilled from greased weasel **** - lasts forever, dead shiny and so
slippery you can't swing the hammer without losing it.

I used Danish oil on my tool handles. Just about the only thing I do
use it for - right sort of balance of oil , varnish, and not being
_too_ shiny when you're finished.

--
Smert' spamionam