Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Clark Magnuson

Default Making a handle and a shaft

We made screwdrivers in 9th grade shop in 1965 that looked just like
commercial screwdrivers.
We pounded on the tool steel on the forge, then filed to shape, and then
heated it red hot and dunked in oil, and while still hot and cooling,
scratched off the scale with emery cloth to see the blue color and then
dunked in water.
We sawed off a piece of translucent yellow plastic handle material, cut
to shape and drilled the shaft hole on the lathe.
We heated up the metal and pushed it in the handle.
We dunked the finished product in acetone, which dissolved all the
imperfections of the plastic finish.

--
For choosing to fight, one gets the horrors or war, stress, and possibly
death.