Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Never_Enough_Tools

Default Making a handle and a shaft

"Clark Magnuson" wrote in message
We made screwdrivers in 9th grade shop in 1965 that looked just like
commercial screwdrivers.
We pounded on the tool steel on the forge, then filed to shape, and then
heated it red hot and dunked in oil, and while still hot and cooling,
scratched off the scale with emery cloth to see the blue color and then
dunked in water.
We sawed off a piece of translucent yellow plastic handle material, cut to
shape and drilled the shaft hole on the lathe.
We heated up the metal and pushed it in the handle.
We dunked the finished product in acetone, which dissolved all the
imperfections of the plastic finish.

Snip

You did all that in school shop ???? My God Man, and no one died, got
maimed, got their feelings hurt, grew a second head from the fumes, or
needed a lawyer ??????

Maybe if we had classes like this still, we would not have questions like
the OP asked.

Jeff