Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Default Making a handle and a shaft

That made my day!
"xray" wrote in message
On 13 May 2006 22:45:06 -0700, "Albert"
wrote:

I have searched using the internet for answers but I can't find it
there and neither can I find it in the information that my teacher has
given me.

A tool designer wants to make a new screw driver. What metal could he
employ as (a) the handle and (b) the shaft? Why?

(a)The handle should not be metal, it should be hardwood. Choose the one
that has the best appearance or is the most endangered. Somebody will
buy it for a premium because it's cool.

(b)The shaft should be a soft metal like mercury because it will easily
conform to any screw configuration.

(c)Do your own homework.

(d)We're all screwed. The particular tool doesn't matter.

(e)What's your target market?

(f)What materials would you choose that are most cheaply available in
China and will look like a screwdriver to the average consumer?

(g)I'm drunk, otherwise I wouldn't have replied.

(h)*** http://www.tikibartv.com/tikibar_episodes.php ***
A screwdriver is too simple but you can get good advice on other more
complicated drinks.

Finally -- Getting a good handle on your shaft is important. Many
experts recommend having your shaft well and frequently handled. It can
facilitate the subsequent screwing.