ff

Default Filling in old swimming pool--some metal content

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

Grant Erwin

If there is a clear path so a truck can back up to it from the street,
then you can contact tree pruning/removal outfits and ask them if they
would divert their wood chip truckloads to the pool for awhile. Those
guys have to pay to dump those wood chips, and they just love it when they
find places willing to take them for free. They will rot down to dirt in
a couple of years and will then be entirely suitable as a soil base. In
essence, you don't do anything and just let them fill it up. I bet it
would be full in a year.

Of course, you might live in Tucson .. oh, well.

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington

ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

Alan Moore

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:17:47 GMT, ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

It depends on what you want to use it for. If it's to be a sand box,
fill it with sand and you're done, although that would be an awful lot
of sand...

If you want to plant a tree that will have a deep taproot, you're
going to have to break up some concrete. If you'd like a nice detached
basement, just put some beams across the top and roof it over -- after
providing for access, adn a level floor, of course...

Al Moore
Sunworshiper

On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:17:47 GMT, ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

The idea of jack hammering a hole in the bottom is intriguing , but I
don't think it will help much. I would re-do it and sell the house if
they're sick of it. If they really want it gone , I would just jack
hammer the deck up and toss it in , that will get you 4" down. Then
call a pool excavator and when they get a job close by they will just
dump loads in the street and mini Bob Cat it in. Better yet , get them
to do the whole job cause they will have a hammer for the Bob Cat and
it will be done in one day. In Vegas it could be done for maybe under
$800. Call them up and ask , sure beats 50,000 wheel barrow loads !

Buy a skate board ! Have the deck removed and raise fish ! They
could have fun catching them and make the $ for the excavator.

Where are you ? They got a vertical mill to trade ? I get slow in
the winter time.

Joel Corwith

"Sunworshiper" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Dec 2003 21:17:47 GMT, ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

The idea of jack hammering a hole in the bottom is intriguing , but I
don't think it will help much. I would re-do it and sell the house if

So now he has a swimming pool full of mud and water. Sounds like a
quicksand trap to me.

Joel. phx

they're sick of it. If they really want it gone , I would just jack
hammer the deck up and toss it in , that will get you 4" down. Then
call a pool excavator and when they get a job close by they will just
dump loads in the street and mini Bob Cat it in. Better yet , get them
to do the whole job cause they will have a hammer for the Bob Cat and
it will be done in one day. In Vegas it could be done for maybe under
$800. Call them up and ask , sure beats 50,000 wheel barrow loads !

Buy a skate board ! Have the deck removed and raise fish ! They
could have fun catching them and make the $ for the excavator.

Where are you ? They got a vertical mill to trade ? I get slow in
the winter time.

ATP

Grant Erwin wrote:
If there is a clear path so a truck can back up to it from the street,
then you can contact tree pruning/removal outfits and ask them if they
would divert their wood chip truckloads to the pool for awhile. Those
guys have to pay to dump those wood chips, and they just love it when
they find places willing to take them for free. They will rot down to
dirt in a couple of years and will then be entirely suitable as a
soil base. In essence, you don't do anything and just let them fill
it up. I bet it would be full in a year.

They will never rot to dirt, since dirt contains quartz sand particles. It
will never be a stable soil base.

Joel Corwith

"ff" wrote in message
A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

If the area is not going to be used for a few years, find some pools going
in and offer to let them dump. If there's no holes in the bottom, a couple
of good rains will make a nice bog. Round here you can find dollar labor by
the bus stops. I get waved at quite a bit in my pickup and it ain't the
looks. The best way is the holes, then ABC as they call it down here.
Basically a mixture of dirt, sand, rocks, crushed stuff. Used under
roadbeds cause it packs well so no settling. Going the cheap route I'd hit
job sites where the concrete is getting busted up. Of course you'd have to
deal with settling and that will depend on what he wants to use it for.
Vegetable garden probably doesn't matter. Jacuzzi on a poured slab does.

Joel. phx

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

ATP

ff wrote:
A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would
like to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup
and some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

It would take less than 70 yards of clean fill to completely fill the pool.
I would break the pool up with a bobcat, once you undermine it it may peel
right up, and get rid of it. The whole pool will probably fit in one or two
30 yard dumpsters, they don't usually make them that well. Fill it with
clean fill and top off with 6 to 8" topsoil. Not the cheapest way in the
short term but it may save headaches and money in the long run.

dogpoint

Check out this site:

http://pws.prserv.net/NormsPond/default.htm

They turned their pool into a fish pond.

Rich

Leo Lichtman

This was mentioned briefly as part of an earlier post, but it seems to have
gone unnoticed: Roof it over and convert it into an underground shop or
storage space. The roof could be put several inches below grade, so it can
be planted over, if they so desire.

Another idea: trade houses with the neighbor, and you'll have a swimming
pool. G

larry g

We had the road crew dump some piles of wood chips in our pasture figuring
that we would spread them to keep the mud down. By the time I got around to
spreading I found that they had burned from the inside and that only a
hollow mound of chips were left. I was real puzzled when I dug into the
first one to only have it collapse on itself. In the few months that they
sat there I never observed any smoke but they were all ash inside.
lg
no neat sig line
"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
If there is a clear path so a truck can back up to it from the street,
then you can contact tree pruning/removal outfits and ask them if they
would divert their wood chip truckloads to the pool for awhile. Those
guys have to pay to dump those wood chips, and they just love it when they
find places willing to take them for free. They will rot down to dirt in
a couple of years and will then be entirely suitable as a soil base. In
essence, you don't do anything and just let them fill it up. I bet it
would be full in a year.

ff

Leo Lichtman wrote:

This was mentioned briefly as part of an earlier post, but it seems to have
gone unnoticed: Roof it over and convert it into an underground shop or
storage space. The roof could be put several inches below grade, so it can
be planted over, if they so desire.

Another idea: trade houses with the neighbor, and you'll have a swimming
pool. G

As a pool, it's too far gone. The sides are cracked all over. I like
that pond idea someone
had. Saw another pool/pond conversion on the net too. But I imagine that
is almost as much
maintenance as a pool to keep it looking good and clean. The amount of
leaves falling
around here is phenomenal.

ff

jim rozen

In article , ff says...

Saw another pool/pond conversion on the net too. But I imagine that
is almost as much
maintenance as a pool to keep it looking good and clean. The amount of
leaves falling
around here is phenomenal.

Ah but the natural life cycle of ponds is to fill in, and
convert to meadows, then forests. Just leave the thing
alone and in 100 years it will be tough to see for the
trees!

Jim

please reply to:

jim

ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

how about a truck service where you call them out to dump some mud/sand
and let them just dump to the old pool......
probably need about 8-15 loads of mud....
Roy J

The older I get the better I like to do it right the FIRST time.
The right way on this is obvious and not terribly expensive if
you shop around a bit. A tractor mounted backhoe would make short
work of the walls, deck, and floor. Something like two truck
loads of concrete. Around here, there are several places that
accept this stuff, it is ground into road fill. Refill the hole
with clean fill, usually available for free, check with the city
building department to see who is building nearby. If your
dimensions are right, figure 3 truckloads of clean fill.

Depending on where you are, the city usually likes to see a
demolition permit. They like to see it done right too.

I haven't done anything like this lately but I'd guess $1000 to
$1500 would cover removal of ALL concrete, fill with clean dirt,
ready for lawn, garden, or new building. Note: if you want to
build on it, you need to tell the contractor so they can pack it.

PS: I've done this on a DIY basis, not happy with the results.

ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff

GMasterman

I filled a 20X40 gunite pool last year. Pool was built in 1959. I thought it
would be an easy job to just bust the apron and the top 24 inched of the walls
and push them in the hole and cover with dirt. No way. The cornors were 12
inches thich with lot's of rebar in them. A backhoe buchet would not break it
without lot's of effort. The sides were thinner and broke up easier, but still
not as easy as I expected. I had dirt hauled in byt the 25 yd dumptruck. The
whole job cost me $4000
ff

jim rozen wrote:

In article , ff says...

Saw another pool/pond conversion on the net too. But I imagine that
is almost as much
maintenance as a pool to keep it looking good and clean. The amount of
leaves falling
around here is phenomenal.

Ah but the natural life cycle of ponds is to fill in, and
convert to meadows, then forests. Just leave the thing
alone and in 100 years it will be tough to see for the
trees!

Jim

================================================= =
please reply to:
================================================= =

So, just plant trees around the pool and wait for nature to take it's
course?

I suppose we could advertise it as a skateboard park and charge admission
to skate in the empty pool. ;-)

ff

jim rozen

In article , Checkmate says...

Last I checked, steel, copper and rubber weren't considered
contaminants, and tomatoes didn't have five foot tap roots, moron.

*plonk*

please reply to:

Mark

Checkmate wrote:

One of us sure can't, but feel free to jump to whatever conclusions suit
you.

If it weren't for jumping to conclusions some of us wouldn't get any
exercise.

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Tim Williams

"Checkmate" wrote in message
Last I checked, steel, copper and rubber weren't considered
contaminants, and tomatoes didn't have five foot tap roots, moron.

Last I checked, copper is a good preventer of barnacles on boat hulls
(anti-fouling property).. now tell me, how well will plants to instead?

I seem to remember someone here posted about a #400 or so crucible with
a chunk of bronze stuck in the bottom.. and tried using it as a planter,
but nothing would grow due to the excess of copper.

Tim

--
"That's for the courts to decide." - Homer Simpson

ff

Sunworshiper wrote:

[...]

I'm in the SF Bay Area. How about a pool table in trade?

ff

Sunworshiper

On Sun, 14 Dec 2003 00:51:28 GMT, ff wrote:

Sunworshiper wrote:

[...]

Just a little too far. The only place I could put one is in my shop
and my machines would put up a fight. Or the living room , and then
the wife would leave and I could have friends over to play... nah

If you could put up good photos on a site I could give your friend
some advice. Can't see email pictures.

I have posted several pages of pictures and information on the
demolition/removal of our 50 x 20 concrete pool which you may find
interesting.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ephil.detw...emolition.html

Sunworshipper

On 12 Jan 2005 18:16:40 -0800, wrote:

I have posted several pages of pictures and information on the
demolition/removal of our 50 x 20 concrete pool which you may find
interesting.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ephil.detw...emolition.html

Made my day. What was wrong with the pool in the first place? I've
fixed pools after the first couple of pictures. Hey, some people just
get sick of them, like me.

That was a good one though. Diving , skate board Haven, and I just
hate doing shallow 3.5' pools.

Long story.....it was old (1967) and needed a bunch of repairs and we
didn't really want it in the back yard anymore anyway so....see ya!

On 12 Jan 2005 18:16:40 -0800, wrote:

I have posted several pages of pictures and information on the
demolition/removal of our 50 x 20 concrete pool which you may find
interesting.
http://home.comcast.net/%7Ephil.detw...emolition.html

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

Thanks

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Terry Collins

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

If you don't want it for a swimming pool, how about raising fish (for
viewing, relaxation or eating?

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 12:36:11 +1100, Terry Collins
wrote:

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

If you don't want it for a swimming pool, how about raising fish (for
viewing, relaxation or eating?

Two words: Yard Nazis

It cost me months of effeort and more than $300 to get them off my
back last time. As far as the City is concerned, if it looks like a
swimming pool andi it's green, it is 'stagnant and a health hazard.'

They didn't care that it was in fact circulating and full of misquito
fish. The health department tought this was fine, the county's vector
control people were okay with it, but the 'anti-blight enforcement'
(ie, yard nazis) got their knickers in a twist.

Feh!

--RC
"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Terry Collins

wrote:

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

If you don't want it for a swimming pool, how about raising fish (for
viewing, relaxation or eating?

Two words: Yard Nazis

Did you get it in writing? I've had a number of these types of "demands"
suddenly disappear when they were asked for them in writing.

The way to deal with these type of demands is to give them full reign,
ask questions, encourage the full colonel blimp entourage and let them
make quite a few proposterous demands, then as they are leaving (or you
are about the hang up) "So you put all that in writing for me will you".
Don't push the issue. Just note on your record that they agreed to put
it in writing.

First was coming home from working away for a few weeks to wife very
upset that she was responsible for neighbours illness as neighbour had
got it from wife's rabbit as you could smell them. The little hitler had
visited and made several contradictory demands. When I got home, I asked
for it all in writing - never heard anything again.

Last was a model steam club who leases "public" lands being told they
had to prepare a plan of management for the lands and another little
hitler making all sorts of demands about what they had to do, who to
hire and that it had to be done immediately. Mainly bush
regeneration/protection wise. The club president remembered that I had
some back ground here and I just told him to ask for all requirements in
writing. Sole requirement to date "prepare a plan of management".

The worst case is going to be that you are no better off.
Martin H. Eastburn

Terry Collins wrote:

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

If you don't want it for a swimming pool, how about raising fish (for
viewing, relaxation or eating?

Make a quality garden. Weed free.

I had a friend that had a friend - raised frogs - but it was dangerous.
Lots of moss and leaves would just blanket it.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn, Barbara Eastburn
@ home at Lion's Lair with our computer

On Fri, 14 Jan 2005 16:16:22 +1100, Terry Collins

wrote:

Not only interesting, but useful.
I've been thinking about getting rid of the 'azure albatross' for
years, but I also was quoted a cost of $10 K or so.

If you don't want it for a swimming pool, how about raising fish (for
viewing, relaxation or eating?

Two words: Yard Nazis

Did you get it in writing? I've had a number of these types of "demands"
suddenly disappear when they were asked for them in writing.

This one _appeared_ in writing. In the form of a summons, to be exact.
The money I paid out included the $50 'nominal' fine after I brought
the pool into compliance. Around here the best you can hope for from
the Yard Nazis is a letter giving you 14 days to fix whatever they
deem is wrong. Most of the time you just get the summons.

The thing that was _really_ stupid about this incident was that the
problem was unfixable within the time frame they gave me.

I had finally determined -- in April -- that the pool needed to be
pumped out and refilled. However you cannot do that when the
temperature is over about 75 degrees F without risking damage to the
pool. Since it was already into the 80s by April, the pool company
told me to leave it until fall. So I loaded the pool with misquito
fish, kept the pump running on the timer and waited.

In July these morons from the city issued me a summons. Since the
temperature was well over 100 there was no way I could fix the
problem. Their response was 'tell it to the judge; we've already
issued the summons.' Of course none of the pool companies would touch
it because of the liability issues if the pool was damaged.

So I went to the preliminary hearing, pled not guilty, had a trial set
for September and tried to get a postponement until November when the
temperature would be low enough to pump it (which I planned to do all
along.) At the September trial, the city 'generously' offered me a
deal -- plead guilty and they'd put sentencing off for 45 days and
'only' fine me $50 if I fixed the problem before then. The alternative
was an immediate trial where I had no case. I went for it.

Listening to some of the stories other people told made me realize I
was lucky.

I'd been thinking about getting rid of the damn pool for years because
of the maintenance problem. Now I'm getting a lot more serious about
it.

--RC

"Sometimes history doesn't repeat itself. It just yells
'can't you remember anything I've told you?' and lets
fly with a club.
-- John W. Cambell Jr.
Sunworshipper

wrote:

[...]

This must be a fiberglass pool. Still I can't understand what the
temperature has to do with it. Where are you and what was the reason
for the 75 degree limit? I've spent a good part of my life down in
them holes and have never heard that one before. All I know is that
when it starts getting near 120 degrees you won't find me in one past
about noon. I just love that one sales baby asking me if I'm going to
lunch when I'm leaving for the day. I get up around 3am and go as fast
as I can non stop till I about forget my name from heat stroke and I'm
outta there.

wrote:

[...]

Nope, plaster.

Still I can't understand what the temperature has to do with it. Where are you and what was the reason
for the 75 degree limit?

I'm in Phoenix, Arizona. The problem is that the plaster can crack and
come off in large chunks.

I've spent a good part of my life down in them holes and have never heard that one before.

Pretty common knowledge, apparently. All the pool companies in this
area were well aware of it and I found several references to it on the
Web. Significantly, most of the references came from pool companies in
the desert. I guess it's a non-issue in most places.

All I know is that when it starts getting near 120 degrees you won't find me in one past
about noon. I just love that one sales baby asking me if I'm going to
lunch when I'm leaving for the day. I get up around 3am and go as fast
as I can non stop till I about forget my name from heat stroke and I'm
outta there.

Only because you're smart. Similar schedules are the norm for
construction crews around here in the summer. The sleepyheads start at
6 a.m. and a lot of them start earlier.

Swimming pool plumbing ? JK UK diy 14 June 2nd 04 09:32 AM
Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
using a shower unit to heat a swimming pool Smithwood456789 UK diy 11 July 25th 03 10:22 AM
Swimming Pool with Insulation. Hal UK diy 8 July 19th 03 10:14 PM