JK

Default Swimming pool plumbing ?

Hi all,
I am going to install a pool within then next 6 weeks and have the design
and costs sorted. It will be 45 foot x 28 foot and is poured reinforced
concrete. I have poured this sort of tank before for agricultural
applications (Slurry catchment !) and it is really not a difficult job.
What is new to me is the plumbing layout. I need to know where water is
taken from to be heated and where it is delivered back into the pool. it
wouldn't be appropriate to heat water with a 500,000 BTU oil fired burner
and deliver it via a 3 inch pipe !!.
Is the water mixed with colder water drawn from another area of the pool
before being introduced to the pool ?
A website with a forum would be helpful or just somewhere where info could
be found. Any help would be appreciated. I will be putting up a website to
show the project from start to completion.

Many thanks in advance.
Jon

Graham Wilson

On Tue, 1 Jun 2004 22:00:53 +0100, "JK"
wrote:

[...]

Are you going to pay someone to look after the pool on a day to day
basis?

When I was a kid, my parents had an outdoor swimming pool installed.
There was a lot of work involved in setting up and controlling the
chemicals in the pool.

It was not just necessary to control the chlorine levels, but also the
ph levels. Cleaning a pool takes ages.

The joys of having to hoover the bottom of the pool and clean the
filtration system out.

Graham

Grunff

JK wrote:

I am going to install a pool within then next 6 weeks and have the design
and costs sorted.

I'd really appreciate it if you shared some figures; we have something
very similar planned for the not too distant, and some initial idea
would be nice.

--
Grunff
wanderer

wrote:

Hi all,
I am going to install a pool within then next 6 weeks and have the design
and costs sorted. It will be 45 foot x 28 foot and is poured reinforced
concrete. I have poured this sort of tank before for agricultural
applications (Slurry catchment !) and it is really not a difficult job.
What is new to me is the plumbing layout. I need to know where water is
taken from to be heated and where it is delivered back into the pool.

You should have a sump either at the lowest point on the bottom if it's
hopper construction or more or less centre if it's flat bottom. You'll
also probably need a couple of skimmers for that size, set on the
'normal' top water line. These are all taken back on 11/2" or 2" ABS
pipe work to the pump room. then onto a manifold to feed the pump. From
the pump through a suitable filter then baqck to an inlet on one wall of
the pool. Make sure you use proper swimming pool plumbing equipment to
with stand the chlorine levels!

wouldn't be appropriate to heat water with a 500,000 BTU oil fired burner
and deliver it via a 3 inch pipe !!.
Is the water mixed with colder water drawn from another area of the pool
before being introduced to the pool ?
A website with a forum would be helpful or just somewhere where info could
be found.

Google is your friend, just seach UK pages for swimming pool. There are
quite a few with varying degrees of help.

Any help would be appreciated. I will be putting up a website to
show the project from start to completion.

Are you going to pay someone to look after the pool on a day to day
basis?

Why?

When I was a kid, my parents had an outdoor swimming pool installed.
There was a lot of work involved in setting up and controlling the
chemicals in the pool.

Takes a few minutes every two or three days just to check the pH and Cl
levels, even less if you use test strips.

It was not just necessary to control the chlorine levels, but also the
ph levels. Cleaning a pool takes ages.

The joys of having to hoover the bottom of the pool and clean the
filtration system out.

Takes about an hour every other week during the season to vacuum the
pool, and two or three minutes to backwash once the vacuuming is done..
Also depends on how much greenery you've got in close proximity.
Peter Crosland

Make sure you understand all the regulations and have given the appropriate
notice to the water authority etc. Quite a minefield if you get it wrong.

Peter Crosland

This might help you.

http://makeashorterlink.com/?U25B11378

JK

Not particularly bothered by the water authority.
I live in Ireland in a rural setting and pump water from 350 feet below
ground and can deliver 20,000 + litres per day.
The other poster asking the cost of the project.... well I work in the
construction game and everything will be at cost..... I can comfortably
build and finish it on less than 10,000 Euro.

JK

"Peter Crosland" wrote in message
Make sure you understand all the regulations and have given the

appropriate
notice to the water authority etc. Quite a minefield if you get it wrong.

nightjar

"JK" wrote in message
[...]

Even without heating, mine has a complex set of pipes, valves and pumps.

The main part is an 8-way valve, that normally is set to pump water through
the filter. That water is drawn in through two overflow intakes, which set
the minimum water level, provide a coarse basket filter and give me
somewhere to drop in the chlorine blocks. It is passed through the filter
and pumped back out through two submerged nozzles at the opposite end. By
turning the valve, I can backflush the filter, dumping the water used to
waste (the field next door), rinse the filter after backflushing (again
dumping the water), empty the pool through the bottom drain and do several
other things I've not got around to working out the value of.

Another set of three on/off valves allow me to run a different pump, which
sucks water in through a submerged nozzle on the side. That is where you
connect the accessories - a vacuum cleaner for the bottom and the surface
cleaning robot. You will also need somewhere to store the long brush, the
net for fishing out dead mice and the leaf skimmer.

Personally, I would never buy anywhere with a swimming pool again. They need
constant attention and are far too much hard work. The most I would consider
would be a sitting tub, which can be emptied when it is not needed.

Colin Bignell

nightjar

"wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On Tue, 01 Jun 2004 22:12:35 +0100, Graham Wilson wrote:

The joys of having to hoover the bottom of the pool and clean the
filtration system out.

Takes about an hour every other week during the season to vacuum the
pool,

I have a robot that cleans the bottom for about six hours each day and that
is not fully effective at keeping the pool clean.

Colin Bignell

Grunff

JK wrote:

The other poster asking the cost of the project.... well I work in the
construction game and everything will be at cost..... I can comfortably
build and finish it on less than 10,000 Euro.

Wow! Want to do mine? ;-)

I was reckoning on about 2-3 times that for ours.

--
Grunff

wanderer

On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:12:18 +0100, nightjar wrote:

"wanderer" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Takes about an hour every other week during the season to vacuum the
pool,

I have a robot that cleans the bottom for about six hours each day and that
is not fully effective at keeping the pool clean.

Yup, that's why mine is never used. It cleans fine where it actually
passes, but I found the patterns of movement tended to be governed to a
large extent by the connecting hose, so some areas were rarely traversed
by the cleaner. Like I said, it takes me about an hour once a fortnight,
and the pool is nice and clean. The secret is not to let the sediment
settle and form into 'mud' that takes more aggresive action with the
vacuum head.
nightjar

"wanderer" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 2 Jun 2004 00:12:18 +0100, nightjar wrote:

"wanderer" wrote in message
.. .

snip

Takes about an hour every other week during the season to vacuum the
pool,

I have a robot that cleans the bottom for about six hours each day and

that
is not fully effective at keeping the pool clean.

Yup, that's why mine is never used. It cleans fine where it actually
passes, but I found the patterns of movement tended to be governed to a
large extent by the connecting hose, so some areas were rarely traversed
by the cleaner.

Mine is electric and not constrained by the floating cable in any way.
However, it can't do up the sides very far and can't get to places like the
steps.

Like I said, it takes me about an hour once a fortnight,
and the pool is nice and clean. The secret is not to let the sediment
settle and form into 'mud' that takes more aggresive action with the
vacuum head.

Difficult when you only visit about once every six weeks, which is why I
bought a robot. However, so much stuff gets into the pool that its filter
bag clogs at some point between visits and it stops picking stuff up. It
takes me about a week of daily attention to get the pool clean and I don't
usually go there for a full week at a time.

Colin Bignell

John Brown

"JK" wrote in message ...
A website with a forum would be helpful or just somewhere where info could
be found. Any help would be appreciated. I will be putting up a website to
show the project from start to completion.

http://www.diyswimmingpools.co.uk/index.html
A UK site for DIY pool construction.

http://www.poolforum.com/
A US forum covering all aspects of pool building and maintenance

JB
JK

Yes,
This is the sort of forum I was looking for.
Can get technical help I need at this stage.
I have the excavation equipment on site and when the main area is dug away
and the shuttering in place the pipework will have to be laid.

Thanks.
Jon

"John Brown" wrote in message
om...
"JK" wrote in message

A website with a forum would be helpful or just somewhere where info

could
be found. Any help would be appreciated. I will be putting up a website

show the project from start to completion.

http://www.diyswimmingpools.co.uk/index.html
A UK site for DIY pool construction.

http://www.poolforum.com/
A US forum covering all aspects of pool building and maintenance

JB

Rick Hughes

"JK" wrote in message ...
Hi all,
I am going to install a pool within then next 6 weeks and have the design

A website with a forum would be helpful or just somewhere where info could
be found. Any help would be appreciated. I will be putting up a website to
show the project from start to completion.

Many thanks in advance.

There are a large number of Swimming pool links on the Uk_Selfbuild
forum web sites ( uk_selfbuiild on
http://uk.groups.yahoo.com/group/UK_Selfbuild )

Here are a selection of swimming pool links form the site:

http://www.doughboy-pools.com/
http://www.doughboy-pools.com/
http://www.diyswimmingpools.co.uk/index.html
http://www.chiswellpools.co.uk/
http://www.south-online.co.uk/i_diy_swimming_pools.html
http://www.polypool.co.uk/
http://www.sundancepools.com/
http://www.oxfordshire.co.uk/data/sub0938.html
http://www.atlantica.co.uk/books/inform.html
http://www.jameswhitepools.com/LUXUR...OLS%20MAIN.htm
http://www.sspools.ie/
http://www.caromal.co.uk/
http://www.allswimltd.com/home.htm

That is a start for you, I have built a couple of pools so happy to
answer any questions if you want to send me a mail.

Rick