Roy J

Default Filling in old swimming pool--some metal content

The older I get the better I like to do it right the FIRST time.
The right way on this is obvious and not terribly expensive if
you shop around a bit. A tractor mounted backhoe would make short
work of the walls, deck, and floor. Something like two truck
loads of concrete. Around here, there are several places that
accept this stuff, it is ground into road fill. Refill the hole
with clean fill, usually available for free, check with the city
building department to see who is building nearby. If your
dimensions are right, figure 3 truckloads of clean fill.

Depending on where you are, the city usually likes to see a
demolition permit. They like to see it done right too.

I haven't done anything like this lately but I'd guess $1000 to
$1500 would cover removal of ALL concrete, fill with clean dirt,
ready for lawn, garden, or new building. Note: if you want to
build on it, you need to tell the contractor so they can pack it.

PS: I've done this on a DIY basis, not happy with the results.

ff wrote:

A neighbor has an old pool which is really poor condition and would like
to just
fill it in and use the space for something else. Question is, what is
the cheapest
and easiest way to fill a big hole in the backyard as far as labor and
materials?
Preferably a do it yourself job, no backhoe available. Just a pickup and
some
wheel barrows. It's 8 feet at the deepest and about 12 x 20 ft.

I was considering sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe surrounded
by rock and gravel but I'm no civil engineer.

ff