Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

Default The Machinist

Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I loved it!

VT

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

D Murphy wrote:
Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

Plastic coffee stirrers are about ten for a penny. If that guy was
working for me he'd be gone with the wind.

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
D Murphy

Jeff Wisnia wrote in
:

D Murphy wrote:
Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed
connection is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

Plastic coffee stirrers are about ten for a penny. If that guy was
working for me he'd be gone with the wind.

Who would hire a guy that puts sugar in his coffee in the first place? Too
needy.

Besides, you can't measure with a plastic stirrer

--

Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Killian

D Murphy wrote:
Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

I'm sure it will play well to art crowd who actually believe something
like that is possible. IMO the producers should've done a short
documentary of a real tableware factory in China. They could show the
six year old girls standing in front of the polishing machines inhaling
dust and fumes all day.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin Evans

On 27 Nov 2005 02:56:47 GMT, D Murphy wrote:

Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

If I wanted to make a spoon I sure as hell wouldn't even think about
chucking a round bar in the lathe. Have these people ever been in a
real cutlery works?

I do so wish that google would use an open format (or even swf) rather
than crappy flv for their videos. It's almost impossible to save
anything on there to your hard drive.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
skuke

On Sun, 27 Nov 2005 13:07:21 -0500, Jeff Wisnia wrote:

D Murphy wrote:
Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

Plastic coffee stirrers are about ten for a penny. If that guy was
working for me he'd be gone with the wind.

Jeff

IMHO, he'd be gone cuz he drags his files backwards and doesn't wear his
safety glasses.

....real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!
--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 02:57:38 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, skuke
quickly quoth:

Plastic coffee stirrers are about ten for a penny. If that guy was
working for me he'd be gone with the wind.

(You'd have HIRED him, Jeff?

IMHO, he'd be gone cuz he drags his files backwards

Yeah, what's up with that? shudder

and doesn't wear his safety glasses.

...real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!

Another safety vid:
http://www.danerd.com/Show.php?vid=1158

ATTN: Gunner

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg Krynen

I do so wish that google would use an open format (or even swf) rather
than crappy flv for their videos. It's almost impossible to save
anything on there to your hard drive.

--

Google uses that format to prevent copying and thus protect copyrights of
the artists. There are ways around it using some capture software. The

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:23:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
wrote:

...real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!

Another safety vid:
http://www.danerd.com/Show.php?vid=1158

ATTN: Gunner

Just goes to show..that cops tend to be butt ignorant of firearms, and
firearms safety.

That moron picked up that Booya (sawed off shotgun or rifle) and with
his left hand..pulled the trigger while his right hand was in front
of the noisey end.

Shrug..Every watch the gun handling on Cops? Some reallllly ignorant
cops out there when it comes to guns.

I shuddered when police departments started carrying Glocks..with no
external safeties..and my fears have been warranted...

A single example...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...lice4page1.htm

Google "glock police accidental shootings" and read a
few....brrrrrrr.....

There is a popular video out there of a woman cop nearly shooting her
partner and a prone perp because she ****ed up....

Remember boys and girls...finger OFF the ****ing trigger until you are
absolutely positively sure you want it to go bang!!!
Its NOT a finger rest.....

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:08:13 GMT, Gunner Asch wrote:

Shrug..Every watch the gun handling on Cops? Some reallllly ignorant
cops out there when it comes to guns.

Yes, but...

I shuddered when police departments started carrying Glocks..with no
external safeties..and my fears have been warranted...

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

Google "glock police accidental shootings" and read a
few....brrrrrrr.....

Not a Glock problem, it's an operator problem. And it's "negligent
discharge" far as I'm concerned, not "accidental".

Remember boys and girls...finger OFF the ****ing trigger until you are
absolutely positively sure you want it to go bang!!!
Its NOT a finger rest.....

Yup. All the external safeties in the world won't prevent stupidity.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

wrote:

Shrug..Every watch the gun handling on Cops? Some reallllly ignorant
cops out there when it comes to guns.

Yes, but...

I shuddered when police departments started carrying Glocks..with no
external safeties..and my fears have been warranted...

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

Dave,
I've got an Hk with the safety in the grip. Many PD's around the country
have adopted this model and the things just plain don't go off until you
squeeze the grip and then the trigger.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: skuke writes on Mon, 28 Nov 2005
02:57:38 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
D Murphy wrote:
Here is a cool short film called "The Machinist". A high speed connection
is probably needed.

It's a good way to start your day, don't you think?

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8927049671024138034&q=lathe

Plastic coffee stirrers are about ten for a penny. If that guy was
working for me he'd be gone with the wind.

Jeff

IMHO, he'd be gone cuz he drags his files backwards and doesn't wear his
safety glasses.

...real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!

Real machinists (or is in engineers) put the sugar and cream in first,
then pour the coffee, and let the pouring do the stirring. More efficient,
donchaknow?

tschus
pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:35:00 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

I've got an Hk with the safety in the grip. Many PD's around the country
have adopted this model and the things just plain don't go off until you
squeeze the grip and then the trigger.

Ah, that'd be the USP, right? I looked at one of those, bought the
Glock 19 instead. That actually uses your grip to tension the
mainspring, right? Pretty much the same theory as the Glock where
there's no energy into the spring until your finger puts it there.

But yes, grip safeties have been around since Mr. Browning's early
designs, at least. I bet he'd get a kick out of seeing that today, 100
years-ish after his basic design, you can still buy 'em at any gunstore
in the country.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no
external safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the
loud end is pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with
an external saftied pistol.

I've got an Hk with the safety in the grip. Many PD's around the
country have adopted this model and the things just plain don't go
off until you squeeze the grip and then the trigger.

Ah, that'd be the USP, right? I looked at one of those, bought the

PSP.

Glock 19 instead. That actually uses your grip to tension the
mainspring, right? Pretty much the same theory as the Glock where
there's no energy into the spring until your finger puts it there.

But yes, grip safeties have been around since Mr. Browning's early
designs, at least. I bet he'd get a kick out of seeing that today,
100
years-ish after his basic design, you can still buy 'em at any
gunstore
in the country.

I bought mine because I just like to buy interesting hardware. I saw a video
running at a gun show demonstrating the safety feature and it was about what
you'd expect. The one I have is fairly old and made in Austria. I don't
think you can get them new in the US today, just the built in the US ones.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 21:10:38 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ah, that'd be the USP, right? I looked at one of those, bought the

PSP.

Gotcha.

I bought mine because I just like to buy interesting hardware.

I understand. Completely.

I saw a video
running at a gun show demonstrating the safety feature and it was about what
you'd expect. The one I have is fairly old and made in Austria. I don't
think you can get them new in the US today, just the built in the US ones.

If I needed yet another 9mm, I'd consider one. More than a few in line
before that, though.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John R. Carroll

wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

Ah, that'd be the USP, right? I looked at one of those, bought the

PSP.

Gotcha.

There is a USP but IIRC it's 10mm.

I bought mine because I just like to buy interesting hardware.

I understand. Completely.

I saw a video
running at a gun show demonstrating the safety feature and it was
about what you'd expect. The one I have is fairly old and made in
Austria. I don't think you can get them new in the US today, just
the built in the US ones.

If I needed yet another 9mm, I'd consider one. More than a few in
line
before that, though.

The other reason I made the purchase is that they are "dead guys". I won't
explain beyond that.

--
John R. Carroll
Machining Solution Software, Inc.
Los Angeles San Francisco
www.machiningsolution.com

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

skuke wrote:

...real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!

WHAT? and get the engraving all etched off! :-)
...lew...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lew Hartswick

pyotr filipivich wrote:

Real machinists (or is in engineers) put the sugar and cream in first,
then pour the coffee, and let the pouring do the stirring. More efficient,
donchaknow?

tschus
pyotr

Of course. Dosent evryone? Don't use the cream but even instant coffee
and the sugar or substitute disolve instantly in hot water. :-)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:08:13 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, Gunner
Asch quickly quoth:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 07:23:30 -0800, Larry Jaques
Another safety vid:
http://www.danerd.com/Show.php?vid=1158

ATTN: Gunner

Just goes to show..that cops tend to be butt ignorant of firearms, and
firearms safety.

Verily! Amazing, isn't it? The most-armed and supposedly best
trained peacekeepers in the USA, yet they're involved in so many
accidents.

That moron picked up that Booya (sawed off shotgun or rifle) and with
his left hand..pulled the trigger while his right hand was in front
of the noisey end.

I just about soiled my didies when I saw that.

Shrug..Every watch the gun handling on Cops? Some reallllly ignorant
cops out there when it comes to guns.

I'll remember to do that the next time I see the show.

I shuddered when police departments started carrying Glocks..with no
external safeties..and my fears have been warranted...

A single example...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...lice4page1.htm

Google "glock police accidental shootings" and read a
few....brrrrrrr.....

Unbelievable!

There is a popular video out there of a woman cop nearly shooting her
partner and a prone perp because she ****ed up....

How about the Chicago vice cop shooting himself in the foot
during a weapons demo (and bragging session about how well
trained he was)? It was posted here early this or late last
year. UFR!

Remember boys and girls...finger OFF the ****ing trigger until you are
absolutely positively sure you want it to go bang!!!
Its NOT a finger rest.....

That's how I put a round between Dad's and my feet the first time I
shot his hair-triggered match pistol, a .22 Colt Woodsman. It fetched
$900 a few years ago. Anyway, I learned to handle a semi-automatic the
-hard- way that day, and I'm glad it wasn't bloody hard.

---
- Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -
http://diversify.com Web Applications
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On 28 Nov 2005 20:24:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:08:13 GMT, Gunner Asch wrote:

Shrug..Every watch the gun handling on Cops? Some reallllly ignorant
cops out there when it comes to guns.

Yes, but...

I shuddered when police departments started carrying Glocks..with no
external safeties..and my fears have been warranted...

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

Big difference between a long double action trigger pull on a
revolver..and that .25 inch pull on a Glock.
Google "glock police accidental shootings" and read a
few....brrrrrrr.....

Not a Glock problem, it's an operator problem. And it's "negligent
discharge" far as I'm concerned, not "accidental".

Very true indeed.

Remember boys and girls...finger OFF the ****ing trigger until you are
absolutely positively sure you want it to go bang!!!
Its NOT a finger rest.....

Yup. All the external safeties in the world won't prevent stupidity.

Not with any tool, from firearms to table saws.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

A single example...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv...lice4page1.htm

Google "glock police accidental shootings" and read a
few....brrrrrrr.....

This has nothing to do with the story, but...
In the picture that goes with that story, where is the laser in the
"laser-fitted Glock"? I'm not an aficionado; is it hidden somewhere or
is the caption wrong?

The Glock is a special case, having a combat tupperware frame, with
non removable grip panels. Here is one type

http://www.law-17.com/Glock-Laser-index.html
and another
http://www.lasermax-inc.com/products/lms-1131p.php

As you can see..the second one is internal to the weapon and is
virtually invisible. The first one requres a slightly modified
holster.

The latest one from Crimson Trace will be out soon.

http://www.crimsontrace.com/default.asp?id=569

They work well enough, and have a place in some tactical "events"

They also have some minus's, and while I have a couple laser fitted
firearms..they are NOT the panacea they would appear to be.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

news
wrote:

...real machinist use their 6" steel rule to stir their coffee!

Another safety vid:
http://www.danerd.com/Show.php?vid=1158

ATTN: Gunner

Just goes to show..that cops tend to be butt ignorant of firearms, and
firearms safety.

A friend of mine is a probation officer. We got into a discussion one day
concerning civilians with hand guns. He informed me that we (civilians)
aren't trained to safely handle guns, so they should be banned from us. Of
course, he has the proper training, so it's OK for him.

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 01:41:00 GMT, Gunner Asch wrote:
On 28 Nov 2005 20:24:33 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

Big difference between a long double action trigger pull on a
revolver..and that .25 inch pull on a Glock.

Hm. Pretty sure it's significantly more than .25". Also, there are
several different trigger assemblies you can use, different slope on the
ramps, which change the travel (and force required).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 18:32:37 -0800, xray wrote:

This has nothing to do with the story, but...
In the picture that goes with that story, where is the laser in the
"laser-fitted Glock"? I'm not an aficionado; is it hidden somewhere or
is the caption wrong?

Couple of options. One popular one is to replace the recoil spring
assembly with one where the rod is a laser. Alignment is decent.
Probably others which mount on the rails (I think later frames have
rails now).
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:46:10 GMT, pyotr filipivich
wrote:

Real machinists (or is in engineers) put the sugar and cream in first,
then pour the coffee, and let the pouring do the stirring. More efficient,
donchaknow?

tschus
pyotr

I thought I was the only one!
Randy
--
Randy Replogle

http://www.chem.purdue.edu/machine
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
pyotr filipivich

You take one lousy week off to join Thorax at the Elvis concert, and this
is what happens: Lew Hartswick writes on Mon, 28
Nov 2005 23:14:57 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :
pyotr filipivich wrote:

Real machinists (or is in engineers) put the sugar and cream in first,
then pour the coffee, and let the pouring do the stirring. More efficient,
donchaknow?

tschus
pyotr

Of course. Dosent evryone? Don't use the cream but even instant coffee
and the sugar or substitute disolve instantly in hot water. :-)
...lew...

Preacher friend asked if I was "Pre-Lac or Post Lac". I laughed
uproariously. Just one of those Church things.

pyotr

--
pyotr filipivich.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 13:37:42 -0800, xray
wrote:

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 14:44:46 GMT, "Dave Lyon"
wrote:

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Reminds me of a story I read once about a lady who found a rattlesnake
in her kitchen. She killed it with a shotgun. As I recall, it took four
or five shots.

My W94 was sold to me at age 16 by the local conservation officer
after he inherited another rifle from a long time friend. His
statement at the time was "I know I will never have to seize it if you
have it." The worst horror story he had was about the chap in a row
boat on a choppy lake, shooting at the stove pipe of a small shack a
couple hundred yards away with a high powered rifle. When he asked the
chap what the H*** he was doing, the reply was "Oh I'm just giving my
kids a bit of a scare!"
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

Back in the early '80's there was an Austin City Council member who shot the
hell out of a garden hose with his shotgun, thinking it was a snake -
allegedly there was white powder involved...

wrote:

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand
gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Reminds me of a story I read once about a lady who found a rattlesnake
in her kitchen. She killed it with a shotgun. As I recall, it took four
or five shots.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
B.B.

In article yPZif.579774$x96.533515@attbi_s72,
"Dave Lyon" wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine is a probation officer. We got into a discussion one day
concerning civilians with hand guns. He informed me that we (civilians)
aren't trained to safely handle guns, so they should be banned from us. Of
course, he has the proper training, so it's OK for him.

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Yeah, at that rate just imagine how many times a civilian would have
had to go back downstairs to reload!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

wrote:

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in

his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand

gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Reminds me of a story I read once about a lady who found a rattlesnake
in her kitchen. She killed it with a shotgun. As I recall, it took four
or five shots.

That's about right for a snake, especially when it could have been steered
out with a broom. Nothing like blowing your floor all to hell to dispatch
a snake, eh?

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Lyon

Yeah, at that rate just imagine how many times a civilian would have
had to go back downstairs to reload!

LOL

The scary part for me was that it never dawned on him that the siding on her
house was not stopping the bullet!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 02:03:31 GMT, Emmo wrote:
Back in the early '80's there was an Austin City Council member who shot the
hell out of a garden hose with his shotgun, thinking it was a snake -

(shrug) I shoot my garden hose all the time. The gophers seem to think
that if they get near it, I won't shoot 'em. They're wrong.

Last time I was at the local Big Box stocking up on hose repair kits,
I ran into the Sheriff. Paul looked at me, said "Lots of gophers this
year, Dave?", and kept going.

Somehow, the wife doesn't buy my argument that a garden hose with holes
in it is a desirable thing - soaker hoses do sell for more, after all.
She keeps giving me "that look" when I try it, though.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 00:13:28 -0600, "B.B."
u wrote:

In article yPZif.579774$x96.533515@attbi_s72,
"Dave Lyon" wrote:

[...]

A friend of mine is a probation officer. We got into a discussion one day
concerning civilians with hand guns. He informed me that we (civilians)
aren't trained to safely handle guns, so they should be banned from us. Of
course, he has the proper training, so it's OK for him.

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Yeah, at that rate just imagine how many times a civilian would have
had to go back downstairs to reload!

Depends on the civilian.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Gunner Asch says...

15 minutes later, he was telling me about the raccoon that he found in his
mother's attic. She lived in a very populated area. He took out his hand gun
and shot at it 5 times!

Yeah, at that rate just imagine how many times a civilian would have
had to go back downstairs to reload!

Depends on the civilian.

Hmmm. At the range they used to have the police targets at 25 feet.

The ones over at the civilian side were 25 and 50 yards. One could
say that maybe they were just practicing at the most common range
they use their weapons at.

That would be charitable IMO. I've seen those targets.

I've also seen some of the cops wander out on the range to inspect
their targets while the civilian side is still shooting. Boy that
causes the range officer to blow a gasket.

I hope I never have to be around the local cops when they use their
weapons...

Jim

please reply to: