Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

Default The Machinist

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 20:35:00 GMT, John R. Carroll wrote:
Dave Hinz wrote:

(shrug) they're often replacing revolvers, which also have no external
safeties. If a cop is gonna squeeze the trigger while the loud end is
pointed the wrong place, they're gonna do the same with an external
saftied pistol.

I've got an Hk with the safety in the grip. Many PD's around the country
have adopted this model and the things just plain don't go off until you
squeeze the grip and then the trigger.

Ah, that'd be the USP, right? I looked at one of those, bought the
Glock 19 instead. That actually uses your grip to tension the
mainspring, right? Pretty much the same theory as the Glock where
there's no energy into the spring until your finger puts it there.

But yes, grip safeties have been around since Mr. Browning's early
designs, at least. I bet he'd get a kick out of seeing that today, 100
years-ish after his basic design, you can still buy 'em at any gunstore
in the country.