Chris

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:48:17 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, xray
quickly quoth:

Surprizes me how many people I see living their lives in condition
white.

Not more than 95%, eh?

Another term (I think I invented it):

The Escalator People --
Those fools who take one step off of the top of the escalator and then
have a discussion or just daydream, oblivious to the rest of the
escalator users who are now forced to find a new flow pattern or stack
up against the "escalator people"

Can we get a law that says it is ok to tazer the escalator people back
into consciousness?

ROTFLMAO! I like it. And while they're out, stamp a nice, indelible
red "S" on their forehead. They'll think how stupid they were every
time they look in the mirror or see a person staring at it for at
least a week thereafter. People with 4 or more concurrent esses would
be deported to Washington D.C. with no hope for parole.

Sorry, but I think DC is all filled up with people with a lot more "esses"
than 4.

Chris

SteveB

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
Steve, you misunderstand...I have NO problems with noisemakers and
such.

And I am certainly not a "bleeding heart liberal"...quite the contrary.
;)

It's the mantraps that will come back to bite you and yours...sometimes
permanently.

I can also assure you that you cannot watch your kids and their friends
24/7. With anything you do, ask yourself how you would react to their
triggering any setup you install and would you be able to live with the
consequences.

I have personally seen the results of a child killed because of their
parent's carelessness...it is a living hell for the parents and one
that I would never want to live through myself.

Stuff is replacable...people aren't...especially the ones you love.

TMT

VERY good points. Thank you.

Steve

SteveB

The Escalator People --
Those fools who take one step off of the top of the escalator and then
have a discussion or just daydream, oblivious to the rest of the
escalator users who are now forced to find a new flow pattern or stack
up against the "escalator people"

Or the "Stuck in the aisle at WalMart people".

Four or five, at least two of them with a 60" waistband, standing totally
still, blocking the whole aisle, always looking the other way, talking about
nothing in particular, and oblivious to anyone wanting to use the aisle.

I usually raise up the front wheels of my cart about eight inches and drop
it. Of course, I am looking at something on the top shelf when I do this.
One time, I thought the lady was either going catatonic, or going to mess
her pants.

I just gave her the .............. "What?" ......... look.

Steve

jim rozen

In article , xray says...

The Escalator People --
Those fools who take one step off of the top of the escalator and then
have a discussion or just daydream, oblivious to the rest of the
escalator users who are now forced to find a new flow pattern or stack
up against the "escalator people"

We don't have those here.

We have no escalators at work.

We do however have the "I want to stand right in front of the
coffee urn after I get my coffee and chat with my friends" morons.

Also the "I want to stand right in the middle of the serving area
of the cafeteria and hold a business meeting during lunch rush"
idiots.

Not to mention the "Our group needs to walk down the hallway, spread
out from one side to the other" nimrods.

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

Jim

please reply to:
Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:
[...]

Bicyclists riding 2 abreast, one outside
the defined bicycle lane and blocking traffic.

jim rozen

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Bicyclists riding 2 abreast, one outside
the defined bicycle lane and blocking traffic.

Interestingly it is often possible to put two bicyclists on
most roads, with a motorcycle in between them.

*If* it is done carefully, with near zero relative velocity.

Jim

please reply to:
SteveB

"Jim Stewart" wrote in message
jim rozen wrote:
[...]

Lesson numba one, Grasshoppah:

Dumb bicyclist will eventually meet bad driver.

Sco

Driver: 1
Bicyclist: 0

Steve

Jim Stewart

jim rozen wrote:

In article , Jim Stewart says...

Bicyclists riding 2 abreast, one outside
the defined bicycle lane and blocking traffic.

Interestingly it is often possible to put two bicyclists on
most roads, with a motorcycle in between them.

*If* it is done carefully, with near zero relative velocity.

Jim

The real danger, and I'm sure Jim R. has been there,
is two motorcycles riding a safe distance between
each other and passing a bicyclist. The bicyclist
yields for the motorcycles, sees the first one
pass then unaware, swings out in front of the second.

Guaranteed to focus your attention...

Terry Collins

Jim Stewart wrote:

Bicyclists riding 2 abreast, one outside
the defined bicycle lane and blocking traffic.

You may want to check it isn't actually legal.
In Oz, basically cyclist can ride 2 side by side and a 3rd can legally
overtake them.

Of course, we don't have many bicycle lanes, although they do mark a lot
of parking space with a bicycle logo, but usually just means that the
lane marking was paid for out of government bicycle funding.

Terry Collins

jim rozen wrote:

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

The advantage of face to face collision is the eventually they learn.
Pavlovian aversion training {:-). My example is commuting on the urban
trains with people who don't let you off the carriage before they start
barging on. It is marvellous how quickly they learn to "give that
arsehole room" when you barge out the door and just slam straight
through their solid wall a few days in a row. Of course, I always loudly
say excuse me {:-).

Terry Collins

Gunner Asch wrote:

Some allow you to shoot a trespasser unannounced

Would be nice if they had that in OZ. I am thinking of certain home
alarm sales peeps who do their door to door selling late at night. {:-)

We also have rules about allowing public to approach your mailbox
unharrassed and your front door, but only authorised peeps for your
water and electricity meter.

Really ****ed off the Left..but oddly enough..he keeps getting
reelected.

Protecting yourself aint right vs left. It is common sense and
experience vs blind faith and lack of experience. Amazing how many peeps
stating any view (right , left, etc) don't have the practical experience
to reflect whether their believes are viable.

Terry Collins

SteveB wrote:

FYI, I have two sets of gates my grandchildren would have to go through to
get in my shop area. They are automatic and self closing. We keep an eye
on our kids, and don't let them just wander around. We also have a pool and
two jaccuzzis, and are without incident because we WATCH OUR KIDS. Not
something everyone does.

Yep, the definition of a parents is a prick and a **** and most are.
Good ones are different.

Question for those who drive and have the typical in and out urban
driveway, do you drive in/reverse out or reverse in/drive out?

I am the later after hearing how a mate accidentally ran over his
grandchild a few years ago.
Terry Collins

Too_Many_Tools wrote:

Stuff is replacable...people aren't...especially the ones you love.

We all believe this, but I am reminded on something they said during my
scout leader training. "Parents will let you take their child away for a
weekends camp without knowing anything about you, but ask to borrow
their car for the weekend and suddenly they are suspiscious" {:-).

On 20 Sep 2005 14:53:55 GMT, Dave Hinz wrote:

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 11:37:34 GMT, Karl Vorwerk wrote:
I like broken glass cemented on the top of concrete or brick wall

I saw those in the less nice parts of Liverpool, also.

Common accessory on just about every fence in Livingstone Zambia too -
as well as most in any major town in Burkina Faso that I saw.
Gerald Miller

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 08:20:05 GMT, Gunner Asch
wrote:

If you are not prepared to accept responsiblity for your actions..dont
carry or own a firearm.

At 16, I bought a hunting rifle from the local conservation officer
(he was upgrading), he sold to me because he would never have to
confiscate it.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

On Tue, 20 Sep 2005 10:42:22 -0700, Larry Jaques
wrote:

[...]

I assume you mean for a 4 year term??????

================================================= ====================
-=Everything in Moderation,=- NoteSHADES(tm) glare guards
-=including moderation.=- http://www.diversify.com
================================================= ====================

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:10:12 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

Jim Stewart wrote:

Bicyclists riding 2 abreast, one outside
the defined bicycle lane and blocking traffic.

You may want to check it isn't actually legal.
In Oz, basically cyclist can ride 2 side by side and a 3rd can legally
overtake them.

Of course, we don't have many bicycle lanes, although they do mark a lot
of parking space with a bicycle logo, but usually just means that the
lane marking was paid for out of government bicycle funding.

Same is true in Canada, believe it or not. 2 abreast is legal.
Found that out when I asked the PD about 2 place side by side bicycle.
However, blocking trafic with ANYTHING is illegal.

On 20 Sep 2005 10:42:51 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Steve, you misunderstand...I have NO problems with noisemakers and
such.

And I am certainly not a "bleeding heart liberal"...quite the contrary.
;)

It's the mantraps that will come back to bite you and yours...sometimes
permanently.

I can also assure you that you cannot watch your kids and their friends
24/7. With anything you do, ask yourself how you would react to their
triggering any setup you install and would you be able to live with the
consequences.

I have personally seen the results of a child killed because of their
parent's carelessness...it is a living hell for the parents and one
that I would never want to live through myself.

Stuff is replacable...people aren't...especially the ones you love.

TMT

My brother's rereational property now has a pretty sophisticated alarm
system - but in the beginning only the main door was "protected".
It was barred from the outside (outswinging door) and wired to an
electric airhorn, strobe, and bright flood lights. All of which
functioned even with the mains disconnected---
One stormy night, the power went out and one of the local riff-raff
decided to take advantage and went in through the bay window.

He grabbed a few items of value, and attempted to open the front door
to leave. Then the air horn went off, he hit the door so hard it bent
the 1 inch water-pipe external brace, and he almost cleared the porch
railing. First sign of his escape was where he landed about 15 feet
out. Suspect he required clean undies before he got home.

After the good system was installed, complete with auto dialer,
someone broke the outer pane of the insulated glass window at the back
of the trailer, and all hell broke loose. The floodlights blinded the
guy, and he took off the 2X4 brace for the downspout with his shins as
he headed around the corner to escape. He headed into the bush and
waited as the cops arrived - at about 7:30 PM. No way out the back way
without fording the creek at the bottom of a pretty steep drop, so he
was stuck there for a while. Cops left at 2AM, when my brother arrived
so he had an uncomfortable 7 hours or so, with a pair of very painfull
shins (left a fair amount of skin and scraps of denim on the 2X4)

That was almost 2 years ago, so I imagine all the local RiffRaff now
knows to stay clear.
SteveB

"Terry Collins" wrote in message
jim rozen wrote:

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

The advantage of face to face collision is the eventually they learn.
Pavlovian aversion training {:-). My example is commuting on the urban
trains with people who don't let you off the carriage before they start
barging on. It is marvellous how quickly they learn to "give that
arsehole room" when you barge out the door and just slam straight
through their solid wall a few days in a row. Of course, I always loudly
say excuse me {:-).

I find it amusing on elevators to let them barge in, then, announce "COMING
OUT" and push right through them.

Steve

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:13:51 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

The advantage of face to face collision is the eventually they learn.
Pavlovian aversion training {:-). My example is commuting on the urban
trains with people who don't let you off the carriage before they start
barging on. It is marvellous how quickly they learn to "give that
arsehole room" when you barge out the door and just slam straight
through their solid wall a few days in a row. Of course, I always loudly
say excuse me {:-).

Leaving the other London in '99 we had gone by train to Gatwick. When
the train stopped I tried to make my exit carrying a large suitcase
and pulling a heavier one. Meanwhile a "football coach" type was
trying to get his entire team onto the carriage to sit in a group. The
momentum of two suitcases propelled by a 200++pound man directly
between his knees persuaded him to use a little more patience.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

jk

"SteveB" wrote:

Not in the slightest. THe guy steals a car, runs from the PO in it,
abandons it after he escapes. THe owner gets the car back and then
faces a big fine TOO.. Are you NUTS????????

jk

Oh, gee. Thanks for correcting me, and doing so tactfully.

I guess we should just keep up with the current system of doing things.
Innocent bystanders killed and maimed.

So you think hitting the innocent party not once but twice makes
since. I guess the answer to my question is a resounding yes.
jk
SteveB

"jk" wrote in message
"SteveB" wrote:

Not in the slightest. THe guy steals a car, runs from the PO in it,
abandons it after he escapes. THe owner gets the car back and then
faces a big fine TOO.. Are you NUTS????????

jk

Oh, gee. Thanks for correcting me, and doing so tactfully.

I guess we should just keep up with the current system of doing things.
Innocent bystanders killed and maimed.

So you think hitting the innocent party not once but twice makes
since. I guess the answer to my question is a resounding yes.
jk

Now, think about it. The owner has reported the car stolen, or can provide
an alibi.

Hellooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Larry Jaques

On 20 Sep 2005 15:09:10 -0700, with neither quill nor qualm, jim rozen
quickly quoth:

In article , xray says...

The Escalator People --
Those fools who take one step off of the top of the escalator and then
have a discussion or just daydream, oblivious to the rest of the
escalator users who are now forced to find a new flow pattern or stack
up against the "escalator people"

We don't have those here.

We have no escalators at work.

You don't have cars on the freeway/front street/back street at work,
either, but that doesn't stop these fidiots from being there.

We do however have the "I want to stand right in front of the
coffee urn after I get my coffee and chat with my friends" morons.

Also the "I want to stand right in the middle of the serving area
of the cafeteria and hold a business meeting during lunch rush"
idiots.

Not to mention the "Our group needs to walk down the hallway, spread
out from one side to the other" nimrods.

They're all the same people. They're totally oblivious to anything
outside their 2' range of consciousness, if you can call it that.
I understand that in the big cities, they're called "victims" for
that very reason.

And when they're called on the carpet for being so obtuse and
performing any of the aforementioned acts of stupidity, they get
indignant, as if YOU are the only rude person there.

As Bugs so aptly put it "Whadda buncha maroons!"

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

Or walk right into them, "apologizing" by saying "Oh, sorry. I wasn't
watching where you were so rudely standing."

* Michelangelo would have made ** Website Programming
* better time with a roller. ** http://diversify.com
jim rozen

In article
, Terry
Collins says...

The advantage of face to face collision is the eventually they learn.
Pavlovian aversion training {:-).

There are a lot of folks here who are very smart and don't pay
much attention to what their body is doing while they walk down the
hallway. Their minds are literally elsewhere. They're not
being rude, they do stuff like type on laptops or read books while
wandering down the hall. I've seen folks bump into closed doors.

They get worse while talking with each other.

My solution is to simply, and obviously, avert my gaze to be out
the front windows of the hallway, and keep on walking straight
at them. Oddly they always seem to be gone from my path when
I get to them.

Sort of a low-speed game of chicken.

Jim

please reply to:
Joe

Karl Vorwerk wrote:

I like broken glass cemented on the top of concrete or brick wall or the
wrought iron fences in Charleston, SC with the roller spikes on top.
Karl

I grew up in Wilmington, DE, where the duPonts were kings (literally). Alfred I
duPont had a stone wall built around his estate, topped with broken glass (it
was still there last time I visited, although it's now a prestigious children's
osteo research hospital). He claimed it was "to keep out unwelcome visitors,
especially those with the name duPont".

Joe

B.B.

In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[...]

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

FYI, farting works well in such situations.

movies.crooksandliars.com/Countdown-Timeline-Katrina.mov
SteveB

"B.B." u wrote in message
news
In article ,
jim rozen wrote:

[...]

The solution to all of these situations is the same, and straightforward:
simply pretend to be an inconsiderate oaf like they are, and blunder
straight into them. Stare off into the distance as you do so and
mumble under your breath.

FYI, farting works well in such situations.

Or, in an elevator, you declare to your friend while scratching yourself, "I
wish that dermatologist would call back and let me know if this is
contagious............"

Or, "How is your therapy with the violent reaction to claustrophobia
coming?"

Or, "Oh, God! I think I'm going to ********!" Insert your favorite thing.

Then there's always mouth farting and saying, "Hey. It wasn't me!"

Steve

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:42:05 +1000, Terry Collins
wrote:

SteveB wrote:

FYI, I have two sets of gates my grandchildren would have to go through to
get in my shop area. They are automatic and self closing. We keep an eye
on our kids, and don't let them just wander around. We also have a pool and
two jaccuzzis, and are without incident because we WATCH OUR KIDS. Not
something everyone does.

Yep, the definition of a parents is a prick and a **** and most are.
Good ones are different.

Question for those who drive and have the typical in and out urban
driveway, do you drive in/reverse out or reverse in/drive out?

I am the later after hearing how a mate accidentally ran over his
grandchild a few years ago.

Backing in, or backing out? Makes no difference. If a kid is there and
you are backing and do not know exactly what is where, bad things can
happen.
SteveB

Question for those who drive and have the typical in and out urban
driveway, do you drive in/reverse out or reverse in/drive out?

Is this a trick question?

I have a horseshoe driveway. Now I am really confused.

Steve

Gerald Miller

On Wed, 21 Sep 2005 16:22:14 -0700, "SteveB"
wrote:

Question for those who drive and have the typical in and out urban
driveway, do you drive in/reverse out or reverse in/drive out?

Is this a trick question?

I have a horseshoe driveway. Now I am really confused.

Steve

Normally, I back in, then, after SWMBO has done her shopping, I back
out. When the driveway is full, four will be pointed in while the
other four point out.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
Jeff Wisnia

SteveB wrote:
Today I went to fill out a police report.

Missing:

One Jackson hood with NexGen EQC lens
One two horse Sears compressor (the old quiet one)
One new 9527 Makita grinder
One new 9501B Makita grinder
One Toro leaf blower

Chances of recovery ............ between none and zero. My daughter is a
PO, and son in law is in the intelligence department. Both have told me
chances are slim.

And Slim rode out of town at high noon yesterday....

(Sorry, I tried, but I couldn't resist that one.)

I feel your angst, Steve, remembering the times some swine has helped
himself to my stuff.

Nowhere near as bad, but when I had my driveway repaved a while back I
came home to find a good quality 50 foot black rubber garden hose and my
favorite brass spray nozzle (An inheritance from my dad no less.) were
both gonzo. We've lived in our home 20 years and nothing was ever swiped
from our back yard or deck before. There were still water spots on the
new blacktop where they'd used my hose to check the drainage slopes.

It's extra irritating when an employee of a contractor you're paying
bites the hand that's feeding him. And of course the boss always looks
you in the eye and says, "It couldn't have been any of our guys."

Jeff

Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)