On 20 Sep 2005 10:42:51 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

Steve, you misunderstand...I have NO problems with noisemakers and
such.

And I am certainly not a "bleeding heart liberal"...quite the contrary.
;)

It's the mantraps that will come back to bite you and yours...sometimes
permanently.

I can also assure you that you cannot watch your kids and their friends
24/7. With anything you do, ask yourself how you would react to their
triggering any setup you install and would you be able to live with the
consequences.

I have personally seen the results of a child killed because of their
parent's carelessness...it is a living hell for the parents and one
that I would never want to live through myself.

Stuff is replacable...people aren't...especially the ones you love.

TMT

My brother's rereational property now has a pretty sophisticated alarm
system - but in the beginning only the main door was "protected".
It was barred from the outside (outswinging door) and wired to an
electric airhorn, strobe, and bright flood lights. All of which
functioned even with the mains disconnected---
One stormy night, the power went out and one of the local riff-raff
decided to take advantage and went in through the bay window.

He grabbed a few items of value, and attempted to open the front door
to leave. Then the air horn went off, he hit the door so hard it bent
the 1 inch water-pipe external brace, and he almost cleared the porch
railing. First sign of his escape was where he landed about 15 feet
out. Suspect he required clean undies before he got home.

After the good system was installed, complete with auto dialer,
someone broke the outer pane of the insulated glass window at the back
of the trailer, and all hell broke loose. The floodlights blinded the
guy, and he took off the 2X4 brace for the downspout with his shins as
he headed around the corner to escape. He headed into the bush and
waited as the cops arrived - at about 7:30 PM. No way out the back way
without fording the creek at the bottom of a pretty steep drop, so he
was stuck there for a while. Cops left at 2AM, when my brother arrived
so he had an uncomfortable 7 hours or so, with a pair of very painfull
shins (left a fair amount of skin and scraps of denim on the 2X4)

That was almost 2 years ago, so I imagine all the local RiffRaff now
knows to stay clear.