Ron M.

Default How to lift packages of shingles up to roof???

I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

G Henslee

Ron M. wrote:

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

Ron,

A few suggestions, ask them what they charge for rooftop delivery. Hire
a neighbor kid. Hire your own kid. Make you SO do it.
Andy Hill

"Ron M." wrote:
...I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Two words: Rooftop Delivery
Doug Miller

In article . com, "Ron M." wrote:

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

That's how I did it when I re-roofed my house.

A few years later my barn needed re-roofed. Much steeper roof, so I hired
pros. That's how they did it, too.

Pick it up, put it on your shoulder, climb the ladder one-handed. Not that
tough. For 200# shingles, one bundle weighs 67 pounds.

--
Regards,

When I did my own roof, I ended up with rooftop delivery: BEST MOVE
EVER!!!!!!

I was supposed to be on the roof "catching" as 2 guys down below threw
bundles on a truck mounted conveyer belt extender arm on the truck. I
am big and pretty strong and thought it would be no problem, but it
quickly became obvious that I couldn't keep up. The young guy on the
truck jumped on the conveyer belt thing, squatted down and rode it up
to the roof (single gutsy-est/stupidest thing I have seen in the last
few years, as the tip of my roof, where they were delivering is about
27 feet up, and he squatted on the 12" wide conveyer belt!) Anyway he
helped "catch", easily doubling my work output.

I can't remember specifics, I think rooftop delivery was included in
price, I did slip guy on top a $20 when guy on bottom was not looking.
Later with both worker present, I tipped another $20. Thought being,
old guy on bottom was clearly crew boss and other guy was doing almost
all the work, and I expected the whole crew to spilt the "open"$20,
but I wanted other guy to get the other $20 to himself, as he really
put himself out to cheerfully help me, and I didn't want to force him
to share his $20. He may have shared with older guy later, or he may
have kept it, I don't know, I left it up to him.

bottom line, order rooftop delivery, and have a couple of 20's. I am
not usually a "tipper" kind of guy, but that was the best $40 I ever
spent, I would have been in the weeds without their help.

If you order from non-Home Depot roof supply company they will pretty
much assume rooftop delivery, as that is how the pro's operate. I
think I nievely planned on hauling up to roof myself, and only changed
plans when it was clear rooftop delivery was S.O.P. and would not cost
me extra. obviosly ask to be sure... I was just lucky, had I had them
delivered to the driveway I suspect I would have killed myself getting
14 squares of architectural shingles up the ladder, I was insane to
have thought I could do it.

Jim Rusling

"Ron M." wrote:

I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

The last time I did that we had two people. I put wafer board in
between the rails of an extension ladder. We then tied a rope around
a bundle and the guy on bottom would shove the bundle up the ladder
while the guy on top would pull it up with the rope. This sure beat
climbing up the ladder with each bundle.

--
Jim Rusling
Partially Retired
John/Charleston

On 31 Mar 2005 12:13:47 -0800, "Ron M."
wrote:

I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

Rooftop delivery is usually the way to go but I re-roofed my house
last year and was able to get a great shingle price from Lowes along
with a rebate of the price of a 24' extension ladder only they didn't
offer rooftop delivery.
This was my solution:
http://www.semanchuk.com/john/rooframp.JPG

We got 32 square architectural shingles up on the roof pretty quick
and without killing my two young helpers and I got the free ladder in
the deal. Plus, it was fun!

Of course I had the 2x6's, plywood and mover's dolly already around.

G Henslee

wrote:

[...]

Man this a great newsgroup.
Don Young

I have seen small motor driven lifts, basically a heavy duty ladder with a
platform which rolls up and down. Some roofers use a scissor lift platform
on their truck. If you can't get rooftop delivery check tool rental places.
Don Young
"Ron M." wrote in message
ups.com...
I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

Ron M.

G Henslee wrote:
Man this is a great newsgroup.

It sure is. I didn't know there was such a thing as "rooftop delivery."
Problem solved!

Ron M.

Porky

There's another way. I open the bundles and pack up 1/2 bundles. OK,
it's not very macho, but I've had a bad back for 15 years. I can pack
1/2 bundles for hours.
I guess I live too far out of town. I had to pick my shingles up at the
store or pay $ for delivery.
To get rid of my old shingles, I spread old tarps on the ground. Then
dragged the tarps on 2x6's right into my pickup. The old water-soaked
shingles are even heavier then the new ones.

JohnK

Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron M.
I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.
A helper can easily hump 1/2 bundles up quicker than you can lay them. Tom
__________________
Work at your leisure!
Bob G.

On Fri, 1 Apr 2005 18:48:42 +0100, tomeshew
wrote:

Ron M. Wrote:
[...]

=======================
I am in my 60's...and to be honest I used to LUG thoise things up on
the roof myself... But when I replaced my roof 3-4 years ago LOWES
delivered the shinkles TO THE ROOF... ON THE ROOF...
Maybe I should have shopped around for better shingles BUT once I
found out they would place them on the roof... I wrote the check...

Bob Griffiths
zxcvbob

wrote:

I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

15 years ago I reroofed my house down in Texas. 32 squares. The place
I bought the shingles could have delivered them rooftop, but I couldn't
schedule to be off work to meet them, so I picked them up myself in 2
loads with my pickup. Rather than haul them up the ladder, I backed the
truck up to the edge of the roof, stood on the tailgate, and heaved them
up to the edge of the roof. After 4 or 5 bundles, I would climb up on
the roof and haul them to ridge and then climb down and toss another 4
or 5 bundles. It was not as bad as it sounds.

Best regards,
Bob
MUADIB®

bottom line, order rooftop delivery, and have a couple of 20's. I am
not usually a "tipper" kind of guy, but that was the best $40 I ever
spent, I would have been in the weeds without their help.

100 bucks is not enough for "roof top delivery" I have walked them up
nad dumped them on the rof edge for another to distribute.............
That alone was a couple hunderd a day worth of work. Some major
physical labor involved in climbing a ladder with nothing in tow. much
less a bundle of shingles every time you go up.

I'd definitely tip the guys doing the work more , simply because I
know what it takes to move those 67 pond bundles of joy.

I guess we all have our values though. I can certainly appreciate
spending less too. Generosity is arbitrary anyways I suppose.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.

John Willis

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 03:58:15 GMT, MUADIB®
scribbled this interesting note:

bottom line, order rooftop delivery, and have a couple of 20's. I am
not usually a "tipper" kind of guy, but that was the best $40 I ever
spent, I would have been in the weeds without their help.

100 bucks is not enough for "roof top delivery" I have walked them up
nad dumped them on the rof edge for another to distribute.............
That alone was a couple hunderd a day worth of work. Some major
physical labor involved in climbing a ladder with nothing in tow. much
less a bundle of shingles every time you go up.

I'd definitely tip the guys doing the work more , simply because I
know what it takes to move those 67 pond bundles of joy.

I guess we all have our values though. I can certainly appreciate
spending less too. Generosity is arbitrary anyways I suppose.

Cheapskate!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
John Willis

Ron M. Wrote:
[...]

I need this helper working for me!:~) (I've yet to find one who could
do this!:~)

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
Doug Miller

In article , MUADIB® wrote:

That alone was a couple hunderd a day worth of work. Some major
physical labor involved in climbing a ladder with nothing in tow. much
less a bundle of shingles every time you go up.

If climbing a ladder empty-handed is "major physical labor"... perhaps you
should consider joining Weigh****chers.

"Major physical labor"! Sheesh. Get off the couch more.

--
Regards,

MUADIB®

If climbing a ladder empty-handed is "major physical labor"... perhaps you
should consider joining Weigh****chers.

"Major physical labor"! Sheesh. Get off the couch more.

Well, I see you're a physically fit active guy. That makes everyone
else lazy now does it?

I typically am pretty active, high energy and get a lot of stuff done
in a day as well as move very quickly almost all the time (when my
back is not giving me problems as it is this week). does this make me
lazy because I don;t go up and down ladders and stairs a lot?

I think I am a bit overweight and that is not good, but it does not
make me lazy by any means. I might call *you* lazy too if I saw how
you move, work, and play also. But that would only be to make a point.

I have no idea how the folks on the newsgroup can decide what another
person is like merely by extracting it from their imagination.

Now, I apologize if I am not Charles Atlas, and that I have a wife who
caters to my appetite. But that doesn;t by any means make me Lazy.

I am 6' tall and weigh about 200lbs. A bit heavy as I said before.

My job entails a lot of driving, a lot of walking (very fast paced
normally) and a lot of getting in and out of cars. This is what I do
to make a living. I am not a roofer, That would be a job for someone
who does that stuff for a living. I am not all too sure I'd want to
just throw my car needs to just any ol' roofer out there, as well I
would hope that a guy who needs a roof would not call a mechanic or
electrical technician.................

Back to the original statement I made. Climbing a ladder is
definitely something I would consider a major physical activity. Maybe
you don't. So let me try and explain it another way.

Climbing a ladder, four feet of it at least, about a hundred times in
a 4 hour period, is, and will always be pretty physical. Now keep in
mind, that's only lifting yourself..............get back to me with
video on how much of a bad-ass you are doing this,................get
off the ladder, move it a foot and climb back up and down, move it a
foot, climb up, down, move it, etc... do this until you've got to 100
times or so, then talk to me about what major physical labor is...
Now,...........add 67lbs of shingles and the extra balancing it takes
to do this, and go ahead and climb the extra 6-8 feet of ladder to get
the shingles up on the roof...........keeping in mind that you can
only stack them suckers so high, before someone has to move those or
move the ladder over and start a new stack............40 squares of
this will be like taking a nap for you if I recall what lazy is to
you.

I stated the "major physical labor" part to make sure someone
understood what it is to do something simple, but to do it many times.
Most of the DIY'rs are not typical construction grunts, or active gym
attendees, but average people. Keep this in mind when you start
calling people lazy. I take a small bit of offense to it, however I
understand how it could simply not be apparent to simpler minds how
much work some things will become if you are not one who makes a
living at a particular excersize.

Please forgive me if this is over your head and under your muscle.

Remove "YOURPANTIES" to reply

MUADIB®

http://www.angelfire.com/retro/sster...IN%20PAGE.html

one small step for man,.....
One giant leap for attorneys.
Doug Miller

In article , MUADIB® wrote:

If climbing a ladder empty-handed is "major physical labor"... perhaps you
should consider joining Weigh****chers.

"Major physical labor"! Sheesh. Get off the couch more.

Well, I see you're a physically fit active guy. That makes everyone
else lazy now does it?

[snip long whine]

Climbing a ladder is not "major physical exercise" for anyone who's even
half-way in shape.

--
Regards,

RicodJour

Doug Miller wrote:

Climbing a ladder is not "major physical exercise" for anyone who's

even
half-way in shape.

That wouldn't happen to be an opinion, would it? You're so matter of
fact about it I can't tell. Maybe you're definition of major physical
exercise is different.

In any case it doesn't really matter what your opinion is in this
matter. The opinion of the guy climbing the ladder is what matters.

20 years ago I'd go up a ladder with two bundles on my shoulder. I
weighed about the same as the two bundles back then. Now I'm 20 years
older, 10 punds heavier and I go up with one bundle. Just standing on
the ladder for extended periods bothers me.

I'm not overweight, I'm not lazy and I'm in decent shape. I ride my
bike a lot and go up and down ladders probably more than I'd like. Yet
oddly enough, when I have to load up a roof with shingles, I most
certainly know I was doing some serious exercise at the end of the day.

HerHusband

Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY.

If you are doing anything but a small roof, have the shingles delivered.
They have a boom conveyor and deliver the shingles right to the roof. Saves
a huge amount of time and work! Rooftop delivery is usually free with most
orders. You could probably pay a small delivery charge to have smaller
orders delivered too?

When I ordered the shingles for our garage, I still hadn't finished
sheathing the roof. So, I just had them drop the shingles inside the
garage. I had scaffolding setup next to the roof, so I would set 2-3
bundles of shingles on the scaffold (don't overload it!), then climb up and
lift them the rest of the way to the roof. It worked great.

Several years ago I was installing shingles on a storage shed. I simply
opened the bundles, grabbed a few shingles, draped them over one shoulder,
and climbed a ladder to the roof. A few at a time is slower, but much
easier to manage.

I have also seen "ladder hoists" that somehow attach to a standard
extension ladder. You set the shingles (or lumber, etc.) on the hoist, and
hoist them up to the roof. Obviously this would work best if there was one
person on the ground, and another on the roof.

Anthony
Dan C

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:00:03 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

That wouldn't happen to be an opinion, would it? You're so matter of
fact about it I can't tell. Maybe you're definition of major physical
exercise is different.

Any reasonable person would not classify climbing a ladder (carrying
nothing) to be "major physical exercise".

oddly enough, when I have to load up a roof with shingles, I most
certainly know I was doing some serious exercise at the end of the day.

Perhaps, but the point in question was *climbing the ladder*, not *loading
up a roof with shingles*.

Linux Registered User #327951

RicodJour

Dan C wrote:
On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 10:00:03 -0800, RicodJour wrote:

That wouldn't happen to be an opinion, would it? You're so matter

of
fact about it I can't tell. Maybe you're definition of major

physical
exercise is different.

Any reasonable person would not classify climbing a ladder (carrying
nothing) to be "major physical exercise".

oddly enough, when I have to load up a roof with shingles, I most
certainly know I was doing some serious exercise at the end of the

day.

Perhaps, but the point in question was *climbing the ladder*, not

up a roof with shingles*.

Hmmm. I see your point! I did read that wrong. It's probably more
like Sergeant or Private First Class exercise. Certainly not Major.

Gideon

The cost around is about $1 per bundle to have them delivered directly onto the
roof. At 3 bundles per square, that means that you are paying about $50 to
have the shingles delivered for a somewhat typical 17 square, 2 story house.
That is a bargain - I would never haul 50 bundles up a ladder to save $50.

Good luck,
Gidoen

Doug Miller

In article . com, "RicodJour" wrote:

I'm not overweight, I'm not lazy and I'm in decent shape. I ride my
bike a lot and go up and down ladders probably more than I'd like. Yet
oddly enough, when I have to load up a roof with shingles, I most
certainly know I was doing some serious exercise at the end of the day.

"major physical exercise".

--
Regards,

John Willis

On Sat, 02 Apr 2005 15:49:50 GMT, MUADIB®
scribbled this interesting note:

Most of the DIY'rs are not typical construction grunts, or active gym
attendees, but average people.

Active gym attendees couldn't do it either. I've seen many try and
fail to keep up. It takes a kind of endurance, a core strength to be
able to perform this kind of labor and it is not to be underestimated.
It looks easy. The people who do it every day can make it look easy
because they are practiced. I've been doing it for a very good portion
of my life and it is hard work. It ain't rocket science or particle
physics, but I don't think too many rocket scientists or physicists
could do this kind of work either.

--
John Willis
(Remove the Primes before e-mailing me)
yaofeng

On your shoulder and up the ladder you go. Yes, one bundle at a time.

Steve@carolinabreezehvac

"yaofeng" wrote in message
ups.com...
On your shoulder and up the ladder you go. Yes, one bundle at a time.

of course, if he has them delivered, some companies have that nice coveyor
belt to put them up at him.

Rich256

"Steve@carolinabreezehvac" wrote
in message ...

"yaofeng" wrote in message
ups.com...
On your shoulder and up the ladder you go. Yes, one bundle at a time.

of course, if he has them delivered, some companies have that nice coveyor
belt to put them up at him.

Or as mine, had about 15 strong backs (all illegals I think - none could
speak English). Metal Shingles that look like tile.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Andy Hill, cindy coleman wrote:
how much do it cost for rooftop delivery

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...of-647248-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 04 Jul 2017 16:14:02 GMT, cindy coleman
m wrote:

replying to Andy Hill, cindy coleman wrote:
how much do it cost for rooftop delivery

about dat much or a dollar two ninety eight or summpin
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

replying to Andy Hill, cindy coleman wrote:
how much do it cost for rooftop delivery

about dat much or a dollar two ninety eight or summpin

BWAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I bet she wuz slurpin' on a purple drank while typing
wiff one hand.

Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

replying to Andy Hill, cindy coleman wrote:
how much do it cost for rooftop delivery

about dat much or a dollar two ninety eight or summpin

I be gettin mine deelivered on da roof fo bout foty, fitty dollas.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to cindy coleman, David Choo wrote:
HomeDepot only charges $55 for local delivery and $0.50 per bundle. Yippie!
My roof needs 45 bundles so the total charges is about $80. Lowes does not
provide such service.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...of-647248-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/30/2018 12:14 PM, David Choo wrote:
replying to cindy coleman, David Choo wrote:
HomeDepot only charges $55 for local delivery and $0.50 per bundle.
Yippie! My roof needs 45 bundles so the total charges is about $80.
Lowes does not
provide such service.

I got a new roof last month, 2 story colonial, and see when I looked up
the shingles that Lowes does deliver. Roofer had a motorized lift on a
ladder but could not get it started so they carried up by hand. Awful
lot of work. I don't think I could get one bundle up the one story to
attached garage roof.