G Henslee

John/Charleston wrote:
On 31 Mar 2005 12:13:47 -0800, "Ron M."
wrote:

I have an average-size 3 bedroom, 2 bath house that needs a new roof.
The old one's fine, it's just getting a little thin in places where it
was hit by hailstones, and the gritty stuff on the shingles seems to be
coming off more than it used to. The roof is 9 years old. We're in
central Texas, near Austin. It's just a standard, asphalt composite
shingle roof.

I can replace this roof myself - I've done this before - but one
question. Is there some method or device I can use to get those
packages of shingles up onto the roof? These things are HEAVY. I picked
up one at Home Depot, and one package must weigh 80+ pounds. I can't
imagine hauling a roof-full of them up a ladder, one at a time.

Thanks,
R.M.

Rooftop delivery is usually the way to go but I re-roofed my house
last year and was able to get a great shingle price from Lowes along
with a rebate of the price of a 24' extension ladder only they didn't
offer rooftop delivery.
This was my solution:
http://www.semanchuk.com/john/rooframp.JPG

We got 32 square architectural shingles up on the roof pretty quick
and without killing my two young helpers and I got the free ladder in
the deal. Plus, it was fun!

Of course I had the 2x6's, plywood and mover's dolly already around.

Man this a great newsgroup.