Walter Cohen

Default New roof - shingles, underneath wood, and extra insulation?

My roof is comprised of composition shingles, 3 tab I believe is the term -
not sure of the lifespan (might be 15 or 20 years).
Looks like there are two layers on the roof now but the shingles are in such
poor shape (old mostly) that I believe this spring is the time to invest in
a new roof.

The roof has always had ice dam problems in the winter mostly because my
attic is not ventilated very much at all. Living in NY the gutters in
winter (every winter) typically fill up with melting snow and become a
massive block of ice. There are several minor leaks in my attic
(un-finished).
The wood roof underneath the shingles is what almost looks like
tongue-in-groove style. Some of the wood planks has rotted away and the
only thing between the inside attic and outside sky is the roof shingle
themselves!

My upstairs is cold in winter (if I touch the inside ceiling it is rather
cold), and warm in summer (if I touch the inside ceiling it is rather warm).
I have central air upstairs but it always labors/starins each summer. I
have a feeling that when the upstairs was added as an addition the builder
either skimped on insulation or the amount was/is inadequate.

What I want to do is have the roof shingles replaced and possibly the
underlying wood (perhaps have them tear it up and lay down plywood). I also
want to see if they can lay (or blow) in additional insulation material when
the roof is open. I also want them to put in a rubber membrane at the
gutter line (up to about 18 or 24 inches) to help prevent ice dams and water
backup.

Ok, now - any ideas or suggestions on what I want to do and if it is a good
idea?

Thanks.
Walter

Joseph Meehan

Walter Cohen wrote:
[...]

Just one. Get that ventilation improved!

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

On Tue, 09 Mar 2004 02:54:35 GMT, "Walter Cohen"
wrote:

What I want to do is have the roof shingles replaced and possibly the
underlying wood (perhaps have them tear it up and lay down plywood). I also
want to see if they can lay (or blow) in additional insulation material when
the roof is open. I also want them to put in a rubber membrane at the
gutter line (up to about 18 or 24 inches) to help prevent ice dams and water
backup.

These are all good ideas (particularly the new underlayment/plywood
and the ice/water shield). If your attic truly is unfinished, with
rafters exposed on the underside of the roof, you should investigate
insulating with icynene. It is probably the best insulating material
available. I would have done this myself if my attic were not
completely finished off; instead I had fiberglass insulation blown in.
Be sure to install appropriate and sufficient ventilation: many
soffit vents with air channels up to ridge vents.
Tom Eisenman

You should consider adding "ridge vent" and eave vents when you have the
roof worked on. The ventilation will allow the roof to stay colder so that
snow will not melt so readily in the winter. Don't forget a vapor barrier
between the insulation and the ceiling.

. net...