Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Pressure washers

Â* Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ?
I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago) what
kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a fact
that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other
difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a
stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's
right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my
camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe , shovel ,
axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe 3 of
probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent the next
2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way than diggin'
and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure washers ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Backhoe?

I would be inclined to ruin some chainsaws.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 5:36 PM, Thomas wrote:
Backhoe?

I would be inclined to ruin some chainsaws.

Â* Backhoe is 200 bucks a day rental if I do it , about 3-4 times that
if I hire it done . And my chainsaws are what I use to cut firewood ,
don't feel inclined to **** them up in the mud and rocks . If I must I
can tough it out and dig the SOB up by hand , but I figger there have
got to be cost-reasonable options . BTW the local stump grinder guy
wanted like 500 bucks for an average 16"-18" stump cut no more than 6
inches above the ground .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 17:44:32 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 12/19/2018 5:36 PM, Thomas wrote:
Backhoe?

I would be inclined to ruin some chainsaws.

* Backhoe is 200 bucks a day rental if I do it , about 3-4 times that
if I hire it done . And my chainsaws are what I use to cut firewood ,
don't feel inclined to **** them up in the mud and rocks . If I must I
can tough it out and dig the SOB up by hand , but I figger there have
got to be cost-reasonable options . BTW the local stump grinder guy
wanted like 500 bucks for an average 16"-18" stump cut no more than 6
inches above the ground .

You can rent stump grinders ...

http://www.coleman-equipment.com/rental-rates/results/

some folks rent Trump grinders ...

https://depositphotos.com/16478409/s...y-daniels.html

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, December 19, 2018 at 6:44:01 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/19/2018 5:36 PM, Thomas wrote:
Backhoe?

I would be inclined to ruin some chainsaws.

Â* Backhoe is 200 bucks a day rental if I do it , about 3-4 times that
if I hire it done . And my chainsaws are what I use to cut firewood ,
don't feel inclined to **** them up in the mud and rocks . If I must I
can tough it out and dig the SOB up by hand , but I figger there have
got to be cost-reasonable options . BTW the local stump grinder guy
wanted like 500 bucks for an average 16"-18" stump cut no more than 6
inches above the ground .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

For $500 he should grind any size stump. I can see a high minimum, because there is overhead, ie driving the equipment there, unloading, loading, etc. If you're not in a hurry, try finding someone already doing work nearby. They might be willing to stop by and do it while there.

That reminds me of a story with a neighbor who has become a pain in the ass.. A tree on my property, close to the property line, fell in a storm and got hung up in another tree. I engaged a tree service to remove that and do some other work. The neighbor asked me to get a quote on removing a healthy limb from another tree that overhangs onto his property. Tree service guy would have the bucket truck in my yard doing my tree work, they could easily reach that other limb from the same spot. I told the neighbors they wanted $175 to do it. When they were here doing the work the foreman goes over to talk to them and they tell him they will only pay $50. They finish my work, take the bucket truck out to the street and the dopey neighbor goes out to the street and offers $100. They drove off.
If you're going to be cheap and/or negotiate, that is one thing. But it's stupid to think that once they move the truck they are going to come back on the cheap. Tree guy said he'd charge $300 if they had to come out to do that limb.

Regarding a pressure washer, I'd say forget about it, unless the stump is rotten. The pressure washers I've used can easily ruin wood, raise the grain, but I don't think they will erode it well enough to remove a stump. If it worked, lots of people would do it. If you can use the PW to clean it up, maybe you can go at it with the chainsaw? Those tree guys I had, I wanted them to cut short an existing 18 inch stump for me. They just used the stump grinder and took it below grade because they had the grinder here and it was easier. They really are amazing. What would take us days and lots of pain, the grinder can do in ten minutes.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 5:57 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 12/19/18 4:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â*Â* Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ?
I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago)
what kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a
fact that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other
difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a
stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's
right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my
camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe ,
shovel , axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe
3 of probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent
the next 2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way
than diggin' and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure
washers ...

Â*Â*Â* Sand blaster?

Â* That would take a LOT of sand !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 2018-12-19 3:01 p.m., Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ?
I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago) what
kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a fact
that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other
difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a
stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's
right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my
camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe , shovel ,
axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe 3 of
probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent the next
2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way than diggin'
and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure washers ...

No guarantees but stumbled across this video the other day, the music is
annoying but it seems to work. YMV

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pgx_VPmJx8

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 19 Dec 2018 16:01:07 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

Â* Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ?
I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago) what
kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a fact
that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other
difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a
stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's
right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my
camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe , shovel ,
axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe 3 of
probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent the next
2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way than diggin'
and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure washers ...

What the pressure washer will do for you is wash enough of the dirt
away so you can use a chain saw. It is messy and wear eye protection
but just pick a spot on a root, blow the dirt away and cut it. Once
you get all of the radial roots cut you can usually hook a chain
around the stump and pop it loose with your truck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 03:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There's gotta be a better way than diggin' and choppin' with an axe !

FLE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvdQBACVwHQ

Got any bored smoke jumpers in your area? They love playing with that ****.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stump removal, was: Pressure washers

On 12/19/2018 03:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There's gotta be a better way than diggin' and choppin' with an axe !

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 20 Dec 2018 02:16:31 +0000 (UTC), danny
burstein wrote:

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

Skip the fertilizer. I saw a video where he ised oil or gasoline tp
set the wood on fire and burnt the stump out. It didn't go very well,
but it might go better for Terry. It did burn all night and get rid of
30 or 40% but then the fire went out.

Isnt' there some microbe you can put in the stump and it will eat it up
in a year or two?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 8:16 PM, danny burstein wrote:
On 12/19/2018 03:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There's gotta be a better way than diggin' and choppin' with an axe !

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

Â* You are aware that AN/FO explosives need a pretty decent booster to
actually detonate ? I'd be better off using black powder ... but since
this stump is pretty close to stuff I don't want to destroy any kind of
explosive (that I can get legally) is out of the question .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Terry Coombs writes:

On 12/19/2018 8:16 PM, danny burstein wrote:
On 12/19/2018 03:01 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
There's gotta be a better way than diggin' and choppin' with an axe !

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

You are aware that AN/FO explosives need a pretty decent booster to
actually detonate ? I'd be better off using black powder ... but since
this stump is pretty close to stuff I don't want to destroy any kind of
explosive (that I can get legally) is out of the question .

You seem to know quite about home brew explosives. Could you
come down to the station house and give our lads a hand in
an investigation? They're, err, stumped.

These two constables would be glad to bring you over.

No need for you to call anyone. This should be pretty
quick and then they'll drive you right home. In fact,
no need to even take your phone...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/19/2018 11:05 PM, danny burstein wrote:
In Terry Coombs writes:

[...]

Â* Well , many years ago in another time and place I was involved in
some R&D work that involved explosives . Little outfit that was known at
that time as Morton-Thiokol Corp at their plant west of Brigham City
Utahahaha ... We built all the STS boosters there - you might be more
familiar with the name "Space Shuttle" .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

https://tannerite.com will do it.

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
news : Will one of the better units cut wood if I use a straight nozzle ?
: I'm not sure (because this idea just came to me mere seconds ago) what
: kind of pressures they develop these days , but I do know for a fact
: that I have used one (30 years ago in another life) To cut other
: difficult materials . All these questions come about because I got a
: stump . A big stump . A big red oak stump with a taproot . And it's
: right smack in the way of the shelter I'm about to build to cover my
: camper . I went out there on Sunday afternoon with a pick-axe , shovel ,
: axe , and one of my chainsaws . I managed to chop out maybe 3 of
: probably 20 or more roots about 5"-6" in diameter . Then spent the next
: 2 days with lower back pain . There's gotta be a better way than diggin'
: and choppin' with an axe ! Then I thought about pressure washers ...
:
: --
: Snag
: Yes , I'm old
: and crochety - and armed .
: Get outta my woods !
:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2018 6:41 AM, shadow, me & my wrote:
[...]

Â* Yup , and probably take out the shed next to the stump where my 1939
Harley is stored . If this stump was out in the woods , I might try some
kind of explosive - but then if it was out in the woods I wouldn't need
to remove it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2018 05:16 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Well , many years ago in another time and place I was involved in some
R&D work that involved explosives . Little outfit that was known at that
time as Morton-Thiokol Corp at their plant west of Brigham City
Utahahaha ... We built all the STS boosters there - you might be more
familiar with the name "Space Shuttle" .

My brother spent close to 20 years there before he moved out to
Vandenberg when they were looking at getting the shuttle. One of my
favorites of his anecdotes concerned the gleaming white motors. While
the engineers were pondering the paint job Rufus ran down to the
hardware store, bought a few paint rollers, and turned the thing white.

otoh, my sister-in-law referred to her years in Ogden as camping out.
She was a Baptist which meant you were pretty much a pariah in '60s Utah.

Posted to alt.home.repair

burstein wrote:

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

Skip the fertilizer. I saw a video where he ised oil or gasoline tp
set the wood on fire and burnt the stump out. It didn't go very well,
but it might go better for Terry. It did burn all night and get rid of
30 or 40% but then the fire went out.

Isnt' there some microbe you can put in the stump and it will eat it up
in a year or two?

There was a deal where you bored holes in the stump and poured in a
saltpeter solution. iirc the idea was to make it burn better. We tried
it on an elm stump without much success. It was there until the town ran
a sewer line and dug it out with a hoe.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2018 9:11 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 12/20/2018 05:16 AM, Terry Coombs wrote:
Â* Well , many years ago in another time and place I was involved in some
R&D work that involved explosives . Little outfit that was known at that
time as Morton-Thiokol Corp at their plant west of Brigham City
Utahahaha ... We built all the STS boosters there - you might be more
familiar with the name "Space Shuttle" .

My brother spent close to 20 years there before he moved out to
Vandenberg when they were looking at getting the shuttle. One of my
favorites of his anecdotes concerned the gleaming white motors. While
the engineers were pondering the paint job Rufus ran down to the
hardware store, bought a few paint rollers, and turned the thing white.

otoh, my sister-in-law referred to her years in Ogden as camping out.
She was a Baptist which meant you were pretty much a pariah in '60s Utah.

Â* Non-Mor(m)ons are still pariahs there . A big part of the reason we
left in the early 80's . My wife was Baptist and I claimed no religion ,
though the Morons claimed me .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

burstein wrote:

In the GOod Old Daize, before Oklahoma City, the 1993 WTC bombing,
and a couple of other incidents, all you needed was to pick up
some fertilizer and fuel oil...

Skip* the fertilizer.* I saw a video where he ised oil or gasoline tp
set the wood on fire and burnt the stump out.* It didn't go very well,
but it might go better for Terry.** It did burn all night and get rid of
30 or 40% but then the fire went out.

Isnt' there some microbe you can put in the stump and it will eat it* up
in a year or two?

There was a deal where you bored holes in the stump and poured in a
saltpeter solution. iirc the idea was to make it burn better. We tried
it on an elm stump without much success. It was there until the town
ran a sewer line and dug it out with a hoe.

* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 9:42:58 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

You haven't said how big in diameter this stump is. You've dug out around it,
why can't you use a chainsaw to cut it off flush with the ground? That's what
I wanted my tree guys to do with one here and they were going to do it.
But they decided that it was easier and better to just grind it, since they
had the grinder here doing other stuff. Without a grinder, I think a
chainsaw would be my choice. Like I and Fretwell said before, you could
use the power washer to clean it off first, or maybe just a good washing
with a garden hose to get rid of the dirt so it doesn't dull the chain.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Idlehands" wrote in message news
On 2018-12-19 3:01 p.m., Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Wow, excellent video. I was going to suggest burning the stump because I
saw some videos in the past about that. But this video is excellent.

I am assuming the OP lives in a remote area where it is okay to have open
fires. In my suburban area, it is not permitted.

Also check out this follow-up video by the same person:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuiXfS6eL7Y

Posted to alt.home.repair

burstein wrote:

[...]

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time. The best suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches
further. Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil. Lot cheaper to resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time. The best suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches
further. Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil. Lot cheaper to resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.

I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years. A 10 ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out. OP may not
have that access to the stump.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/20/2018 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Â* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time. The best suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches
further. Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil. Lot cheaper to resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.

I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years. A 10 ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out. OP may not
have that access to the stump.

Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had a
bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly below ground
level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once before , but I think
his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm considering getting a
smaller/cheaper unit and using it as suggested to wash the dirt/rocks
away from the roots so I can cut them .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/20/2018 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

Â* Â* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go
NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to
build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where
the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time.Â* The best
suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it
to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches
further.Â* Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the
rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil.Â* Lot cheaper to resharpen
a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.

I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years.Â* A 10 ton
dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out.Â* OP
may not
have that access to the stump.

Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had a
bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly below
ground level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once before ,
but I think his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm considering
getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as suggested to wash
the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder. That's what they were made for.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 12/21/2018 12:16 AM, Bill wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Â*Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had a
bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly below ground
level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once before , but I think
his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm considering getting a
smaller/cheaper unit and using it as suggested to wash the dirt/rocks
away from the roots so I can cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.Â* That's what they were made for.

Â* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do and that
much isn't in the budget for this project .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, December 20, 2018 at 11:44:24 PM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Try a garden hose with spray nozzle first. Might do a good enough job.
Limiting factor will be how quickly the hole starts to fill up with water.
Power washer would have an advantage there.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

You could try posting or looking on Craigslist. I'd bet you can find
someone local to grind it for a lot less than the $500 the one guy
wanted. Of course when dealing with someone from CL or the like,
whether they have insurance an such can be an issue.

If it's just cutting it off at grade, or close to grade, I don't see
why you need a pressure washer to clean it off. I'd think a garden
hose with nozzle could get it clean enough to cut. Use a brush if
necessary. It's just one stump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Somebody wrote,

You could try posting or looking on Craigslist. I'd bet you can find
someone local to grind it for a lot less than the $500 the one guy
wanted. Of course when dealing with someone from CL or the like,
whether they have insurance an such can be an issue.

If you do post on Craigslist, (a god idea, in my opinion), include a photo
of the stump with a ruler or something else in the photo to give the viewer
an idea of the size of the stump.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 07:22:54 -0600, Terry Coombs
wrote:

And here I thought it was another political post - Clean up Washington
with a pressure washer to get rid of Stumpie.

Perhaps a new code word for Mueller - - Turn up the pressure!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 21 Dec 2018 11:05:25 -0500, "TomR"
wrote:

Somebody wrote,

You could try posting or looking on Craigslist. I'd bet you can find
someone local to grind it for a lot less than the $500 the one guy
wanted. Of course when dealing with someone from CL or the like,
whether they have insurance an such can be an issue.

If you do post on Craigslist, (a god idea, in my opinion), include a photo
of the stump with a ruler or something else in the photo to give the viewer
an idea of the size of the stump.

When I removed my cherry tree it cost me $300 Canadian to have the
stump ground down to 8 or 10 inches below ground level. Base minimum
charge up to a minimum diameter, then so much an inch over that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

And here I thought it was another political post - Clean up Washington
with a pressure washer to get rid of Stumpie.

Perhaps a new code word for Mueller - - Turn up the pressure!!!

Right about now I think the pressure on Trump is about like the guy with
his head in the vice in Casino, with his eyes about to explode.

Pressure Washers -- Karcher?? larsen-tools Metalworking 4 April 5th 04 02:59 PM
Ferm pressure washers al UK diy 6 November 24th 03 11:16 PM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 6th 03 11:45 PM
Bosch Pressure washers - opinions please Bob Minchin UK diy 3 August 16th 03 01:33 PM
pressure washers Habbi Metalworking 3 August 5th 03 03:51 PM