Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stump removal, was: Pressure washers

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/21/2018 12:16 AM, Bill wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/20/2018 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

Â* Â* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go
NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to
build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where
the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time.Â* The best
suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use
it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few
inches
further.Â* Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the
rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil.Â* Lot cheaper to
resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.
I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years.Â* A 10
ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out.
OP may not
have that access to the stump.

Â*Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had
a bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly
below ground level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once
before , but I think his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.Â* That's what they were made for.

Â* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do
and that much isn't in the budget for this project .

I'm curious, what was the cost for you to rent one for 4 hours?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Going that route, I'd get a "disposable" chain saw from Harbor
freight that I didn't care about at all. I checked for you and I
see they have an electric one for $49. What's the worst thing
that can happen? --Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.* That's what they were made for.

* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do
and that much isn't in the budget for this project .

I'm curious, what was the cost for you to rent one for 4 hours?

Examples below are not from the OP area but from my area
in S. Ontario Canada in cheapo Canadian dollars :

Stump Grinder, Walk Behind Self Propelled 26 HP
$235.00 per day

Manufacturer: Toro
Model: STX26
Length (in): 78
Width (in): 34
Height (in): 46
Weight (lbs): 1,200
Engine Brand: Kawasaki
HP: 26
Fuel Type: Gas
Blade Size (in): 19
Cutting Depth (in): 12.5
Notes: Trailer For $20 Extra

Stump Grinder, Walk Behind Self Propelled 38 HP
$275.00 per day

Manufacturer: Toro
Model: STX-38
Weight (lbs.): 1,750
Engine Brand: Kohler
HP: 38
Fuel Type: Gas
Blade Size (in.): 22.25
Cutting Depth (in.): 18
Manufacturer: Toro
Model:: STX38
Length (in.): 95
Width (in.): 34
Height (in.): 51

http://www.coleman-equipment.com/rental-rates/results/

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

* * And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go
NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to
build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where
the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time.* The best
suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use
it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few
inches
further.* Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the
rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil.* Lot cheaper to
resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.
I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years.* A 10
ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out.
OP may not
have that access to the stump.

** It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had
a bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly
below ground level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once
before , but I think his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.* That's what they were made for.

* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do
and that much isn't in the budget for this project .

I'm curious, what was the cost for you to rent one for 4 hours?

I had the grinder and operator on site for about an hour for $300
Canadian. That included him coming about 25 miles into town - where
he did mine and about 5 others in one day - mine being one of the
smallest at about 24-26 inches. IIRC anything over 30 was a per inch
surcharge. Hardwood or softwood didn't matter - mine was cherry, the
one before me was cedar.
It was my job to re-level the lawn after they left.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 06:16:34 -0500, Bill wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Going that route, I'd get a "disposable" chain saw from Harbor
freight that I didn't care about at all. I checked for you and I
see they have an electric one for $49. What's the worst thing
that can happen? --Bill

Or use a "yard sale find" like my old Partner saw that I paid $35
for - with an almost new chain - - -

If washing the dirt off the roots you almost need a slurry pump to
get/keep the hole clean and dry enough to work in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

'
That sounds high I had a guy grinding here for around 3 hours for
$350. He did one big hardwood tree and a dozen palms. The palms go
real fast tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:

I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Going that route, I'd get a "disposable" chain saw from Harbor
freight that I didn't care about at all. I checked for you and I
see they have an electric one for $49. What's the worst thing
that can happen? --Bill

Or use a "yard sale find" like my old Partner saw that I paid $35
for - with an almost new chain - - -

If washing the dirt off the roots you almost need a slurry pump to
get/keep the hole clean and dry enough to work in.

It depends on the dirt I guess. Around here the hole will drain in a
few minutes. I just kept working around the tree in different spots
until I had all of the big roots exposed enough to chain saw. Once I
got the radials out I hooked a chain to the truck and yanked on it.
Then I cut the remaining roots as they came up. It took a while but I
got it out. Next time I called a grinder guy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

You are in the southern USA though - where wages are significantly
lower than up here - and equipment is cheaper to buy - and the Dollar
goes for about $1.50 Canadian.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

When I took out an old pussy willow I did similar - dug out around,
cut the lateral roots with the axe, tied a chain around the base of
the stump and over a truck rim to the hitch on the Firenza and popped
it out But that pussy willow was onlu a clump of about 3 3 or 4
inchers.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Red is offline

wrote:

[...]

I live in a red state, very few libtards.

Anyway, local shop rents a Vermeer grinder with trailer for $100 per 4 hours.Â* I used it on an oak stump a while back, took less than 10 minutes. Easy peasy!

Posted to alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

It would fill up here. But if the stump is where you live and you're in
no hurry, you can just do it in several stages, allowing it to drain
in between. Seems easier to me than screwing around with a pump that
he probably doesn't have. But last time I checked, the stump was on fire
anyway.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Anyway, local shop rents a Vermeer grinder with trailer for $100 per 4 hours.* I used it on an oak stump a while back, took less than 10 minutes. Easy peasy!

I could have rented the machine and done it myself too, but I don't
have a trailer hitch on my vehicle to tow it and I felt it was worth a
bit more to have someone with experience and insurance do the job.
Had the gasline locate done too - it was close but not too close.

Pressure Washers -- Karcher?? larsen-tools Metalworking 4 April 5th 04 03:59 PM
Ferm pressure washers al UK diy 6 November 25th 03 12:16 AM
Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc? Miki Kanazawa Metalworking 3 October 7th 03 12:45 AM
Bosch Pressure washers - opinions please Bob Minchin UK diy 3 August 16th 03 02:33 PM
pressure washers Habbi Metalworking 3 August 5th 03 04:51 PM