Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default stump removal, was: Pressure washers

On Saturday, December 22, 2018 at 2:51:43 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 13:26:42 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 06:16:34 -0500, Bill wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Going that route, I'd get a "disposable" chain saw from Harbor
freight that I didn't care about at all. I checked for you and I
see they have an electric one for $49. What's the worst thing
that can happen? --Bill

Or use a "yard sale find" like my old Partner saw that I paid $35
for - with an almost new chain - - -

If washing the dirt off the roots you almost need a slurry pump to
get/keep the hole clean and dry enough to work in.

It depends on the dirt I guess. Around here the hole will drain in a
few minutes. I just kept working around the tree in different spots
until I had all of the big roots exposed enough to chain saw. Once I
got the radials out I hooked a chain to the truck and yanked on it.
Then I cut the remaining roots as they came up. It took a while but I
got it out. Next time I called a grinder guy.

It would fill up here. But if the stump is where you live and you're in
no hurry, you can just do it in several stages, allowing it to drain
in between. Seems easier to me than screwing around with a pump that
he probably doesn't have. But last time I checked, the stump was on fire
anyway.