al

Default Ferm pressure washers

Anyone had any experience with the Ferm pressure washers that Screwfix
offer? There's a 140, 100 and 100 bar model. The lowest power one comes
with a car cleaning kit and it £80, which seems reasonable. All I want it
for is 90% washing the car and 10% cleaning the patio and driveway. Am I
likely to be disappointed? Do Ferm make good washers?

Bob Minchin

al wrote:

Anyone had any experience with the Ferm pressure washers that Screwfix
offer? There's a 140, 100 and 100 bar model. The lowest power one comes
with a car cleaning kit and it £80, which seems reasonable. All I want it
for is 90% washing the car and 10% cleaning the patio and driveway. Am I
likely to be disappointed? Do Ferm make good washers?

In my experience, pressure washers are poor tools for cleaning cars. They will
take the worst of the mud off but won't touch the traffic film without
expensive custom detergents. A chamois and a bucket are the best (and
cheapest) tools for the job.

Christian McArdle

Anyone had any experience with the Ferm pressure washers that Screwfix
offer? There's a 140, 100 and 100 bar model.

I got the 50 quid performance power one from B&Q. Does the job. Excellent on
the patio. It is obviously not quite as good as a friend's Karcher, but that
cost four times as much.

Christian.

Christian McArdle

In my experience, pressure washers are poor tools for cleaning cars.
They will take the worst of the mud off but won't touch the traffic
film without expensive custom detergents.

I still find it useful for washing cars. Firstly, use it to wet the car.
Then clean with bucket of hot soapy water and sponge. Finally rinse with
pressure washer.

Christian.

Steven Briggs

In message , al
writes
Anyone had any experience with the Ferm pressure washers that Screwfix
offer? There's a 140, 100 and 100 bar model. The lowest power one comes
with a car cleaning kit and it £80, which seems reasonable. All I want it
for is 90% washing the car and 10% cleaning the patio and driveway. Am I
likely to be disappointed? Do Ferm make good washers?

ISTR the pressure hose is only 3m on the cheapie.
That will make it awkward for car cleaning.

al

"Christian McArdle" wrote in message
I got the 50 quid performance power one from B&Q. Does the job. Excellent

on
the patio. It is obviously not quite as good as a friend's Karcher, but

that
cost four times as much.

Karcher seems to be having quite a big sale if these prices are to be
believed:

http://karchershop.co.uk/karchershop/index.htm

Would I be better off with one of them for under £70 rather than a Ferm?

Bob Minchin

I got the 50 quid performance power one from B&Q. Does the job. Excellent

on
the patio. It is obviously not quite as good as a friend's Karcher, but

that
cost four times as much.

Karcher seems to be having quite a big sale if these prices are to be
believed:

http://karchershop.co.uk/karchershop/index.htm

Would I be better off with one of them for under £70 rather than a Ferm?

IIRC, Karcher do a nozzle called something like a dirtblaster. Inside it has a
rotatin part which give the jet more of a scouring action and is very good on
patios. the only other brand that has something similar I know of is Bosch,
which are also very good.
Nozzles, hozes & tools are not interchangeable between brands and bodged
adaptors are not that practical due to the high working pressure.

I'd buy the Karcher over a Ferm. Worth checking the warranty. A Ferm saw I have
offers 3 years which is pretty good for a budget brand. Don't know what karcher
offer.

Bob

Charge pressure for sealed CH system Roger Mills UK diy 4 November 3rd 03 07:14 PM
Central Heating Pressure Bilbo Baggins UK diy 6 October 6th 03 06:58 PM
shower pressure Louigi Cornetto UK diy 1 September 1st 03 07:14 PM
Automatic water pressure maintainer for combi boiler system? Frank W UK diy 12 August 20th 03 11:22 PM
Bosch Pressure washers - opinions please Bob Minchin UK diy 3 August 16th 03 01:33 PM