Posted to alt.home.repair

Default stump removal, was: Pressure washers

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 13:23:46 -0500, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Sat, 22 Dec 2018 04:49:55 -0500, Bill wrote:

Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/21/2018 12:16 AM, Bill wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/20/2018 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank
wrote:

Â* Â* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go
NOW . If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to
build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where
the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time.Â* The best
suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use
it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few
inches
further.Â* Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the
rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil.Â* Lot cheaper to
resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.
I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years.Â* A 10
ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out.
OP may not
have that access to the stump.

Â*Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had
a bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly
below ground level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once
before , but I think his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm
considering getting a smaller/cheaper unit and using it as
suggested to wash the dirt/rocks away from the roots so I can
cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.Â* That's what they were made for.

Â* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do
and that much isn't in the budget for this project .

I'm curious, what was the cost for you to rent one for 4 hours?

I had the grinder and operator on site for about an hour for $300
Canadian. That included him coming about 25 miles into town - where
he did mine and about 5 others in one day - mine being one of the
smallest at about 24-26 inches. IIRC anything over 30 was a per inch
surcharge. Hardwood or softwood didn't matter - mine was cherry, the
one before me was cedar.
It was my job to re-level the lawn after they left.

'
That sounds high I had a guy grinding here for around 3 hours for
$350. He did one big hardwood tree and a dozen palms. The palms go
real fast tho.