Posted to alt.home.repair
trader_4 trader_4 is offline

Default stump removal, was: Pressure washers

On Friday, December 21, 2018 at 8:22:48 AM UTC-5, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/21/2018 12:16 AM, Bill wrote:
Terry Coombs wrote:
On 12/20/2018 12:45 PM, Oren wrote:
On Thu, 20 Dec 2018 13:01:03 -0500, Frank "frank wrote:

Â* Â* And I don't have a year or two to wait , it needs to go NOW .
If I
can get it cut off below grade I'll be alright , I need to build that
area up with some gravel anyway - the stump is right where the gravel
will be thinnest or I wouldn't worry about it .

I've waited years for stumps to rot in places that they are not
unsightly but you don't have that much time.Â* The best suggestion I
think you got when you mentioned pressure washer was to use it to wash
away the grit around the base of the stump and maybe a few inches
further.Â* Then you can use your chainsaw without getting the rapid
dulling if you cut into gritty soil.Â* Lot cheaper to resharpen a chain
saw than rent a stump grinder.
I had a stump pulled from the ground in recent years.Â* A 10 ton dump
truck, a couple workers to connect chains and yank it out.Â* OP may not
have that access to the stump.

Â*Â* It's easy to get to , nothing in the way at all . If I had a
bulldozer ... I really only need it down to or slightly below ground
level . I used a neighbor's pressure washer once before , but I think
his was burned up in a shed fire . I'm considering getting a
smaller/cheaper unit and using it as suggested to wash the dirt/rocks
away from the roots so I can cut them .

Not sure why you don't follow the suggestion of renting a stump
grinder.Â* That's what they were made for.

Â* Because they're outrageously expensive here for what they do and that
much isn't in the budget for this project .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

You could try posting or looking on Craigslist. I'd bet you can find
someone local to grind it for a lot less than the $500 the one guy
wanted. Of course when dealing with someone from CL or the like,
whether they have insurance an such can be an issue.

If it's just cutting it off at grade, or close to grade, I don't see
why you need a pressure washer to clean it off. I'd think a garden
hose with nozzle could get it clean enough to cut. Use a brush if
necessary. It's just one stump.