Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Why do you use Facebook?

Being that most posters on this newsgroup are of "advanced age", I have
to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

For persons under the age of 30, FB seems to be "required", and many of
them seem to exist solely to use FB.

But for us older persons, it seems that most, of not all, who use it, do
nothing but complain about it. They say it's full of rubbish, rudeness,
idiots, and complainers. (I personally fully agree with that, and after
a brief encounter with it, I closed my FB account forever).

So, I often ask these older people "WHY DO YOU USE FB, IF YOU DISLIKE IT
SO MUCH?". Every time, I get the same answer, "It lets me stay in touch
with friends and family members and see pictures of the grand-kids,
etc".

Ummmmmmm, DID YOU EVER HEAR OF EMAIL?
Apparently these are people who dont know how to use a computer....

I have kept in contact with friends and family for many years, using
EMAIL. I can send them pictures of anything, and do so easier than I can
on FB. The best part is that ONLY my friend or family member will see
that picture and/or read what I wrote.

On FB, everything you post can be seen by the whole world, and I found
that no matter how much you filter and adjust settings on FB, the whole
world can still access whatever you post. Even if I only post a picture
of my dog, and write about my trip to the park, I DO NOT want a bunch of
assholes reading what I posted.

A good example, during the Orlando shooting, the killer was posting to
FB. I dont want my posts to be read by someone like that.... I dont care
how mundane they are....

Facebook is nothing but a virus that has taken over the internet and has
ruined most of what the internet was originally intended to be. In the
meantime, you can keep it's founder Mark Zukerberg wealthy and he is now
one of the wealthiest people on earth.

Think before you use FB, and learn to use email to contact your REAL
friends. FB friends are not your friends at all. Many are even
dangerous...

What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 3:48:14 PM UTC-5, wrote:
Being that most posters on this newsgroup are of "advanced age", I have
to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

snip
What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

Every one of my "friends" are real friends or real relatives...mine is closed to anyone else. I have used it to find old school mates and "lost" relatives...I don't click on adverts or buy anything. I don't like many things about it...like how "it" resides when to remove something I've posted or what "it" thinks I might like! I'm 71.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2016 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

I use it with a fictitious name for part of my business. It helps me
gather info on someone because there's always a FB fool who will display
his/her entire life for the world to see. I assume they feel a sense of
importance with all there make believe friends on their FB list. Other
than that, I wouldn't be caught dead with that app on my phone, PC or
anywhere for my own personal use.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2016 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Family and friends including ancient classmates post there.
One friend has vision problems and easier for her to post there than
email. See a lot of cute photos and vids of my young granddaughter where
son and wife just post directly off smart phone to FB.

Twitter I don't comprehend and think it is for twits. Who cares to hear
every time that Lady Ga Ga takes a dump?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 4:48:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
[...]

My daughter talked me into signing up so that I could see pictures of, and keep up with the adventures of, my kids and grandkids. I used an alias as I didn't want people to find me except for the family.

Paul
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:

My daughter talked me into signing up so that I could see pictures of, and keep up with the adventures of, my kids and grandkids. I used an alias as I didn't want people to find me except for the family.

Paul

I would add...if family is using their real names it isn't hard for others to figure out who you are. Just saying...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 17:53:30 -0700 (PDT), bob_villain
wrote:

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 7:41:59 PM UTC-5, Pavel314 wrote:

My daughter talked me into signing up so that I could see pictures of, and keep
up with the adventures of, my kids and grandkids. I used an alias as I didn't want
people to find me except for the family.

Paul

I would add...if family is using their real names it isn't hard for others to figure out
who you are. Just saying...

That's the whole problem. To signup, you are supposed to use your real
name, address, phone#, and more. Not to mention a lot of other personal
info. I would not mind if someome I know finds me, but there are a lot
of assholes, idiots, and worse using it. It also seems to be the place
for drunks to post drunken photos of themselves when they are in public
places like bars. Who needs that!!!!

At least when I take photos in public, I have to go home and download
them to my computer before I can email them. That way I know what I'm
sending, and NOT when I'm drunk! (just saying this, since I dont get
drunk anymore).

Actually, I DO have a FB page (sort of). It's listed to one of my pets,
has their picture, and their real name (first name only). No valid
address, phone, etc. There are no "friends" on the friend list. The only
reason I have that, is so I can view the schedules of some local music
bands (who dont have real websites), and to occasionally follow some
local news, such as storm damage, fires, accidents and that sort of
thing. I find it annoying that I have to "log on" at all, just to get a
band's schedule, or (READ ONLY) some local news. But it's the only way
to access some of that stuff. And even more annoying is that each time I
go to some local story, something pops up telling me to "befriend" so
and so, or even some business, then bitching that I have not yet gotten
any "friends". The whole thing is real idiotic if you ask me. And why
is it that they always want me to give a "thumbs up" to every damn
thing, but have no "thumbs down" to choose.....

I'll take a regular webpage any day.....

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/30/2016 8:41 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

My daughter talked me into signing up so that I could see pictures of, and keep up with the adventures of, my kids and grandkids. I used an alias as I didn't want people to find me except for the family.

Paul

I wonder how many sex offenders troll FB for pictures?
Probably more than we ever want to know. I'm sure I
don't want to know.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair,uk.rec.sheds,alt.2600

I git lotsa babes from my Facebook page.

Question is....Have you Facebooked me yet?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 21:34:27 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

And have Zuckerberg looking over you shoulder and censoring you? Screw that.

Aside from that, I don't need that much organization in my life.

(paraphrase Jimmy Buffett... I just want my Junior Mints.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 30 Jun 2016 15:47:30 -0400, wrote:

Being that most posters on this newsgroup are of "advanced age", I have
to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

I do. I think it's great. I signed up once, under a phony name with
a phone bdate (if asked) and alternative email address, and little
else (I may have given them my true sex), and now so many websites let
me log in with FB. It saves so much time. I don't know what good it
does the websites that use it.

For persons under the age of 30, FB seems to be "required", and many of
them seem to exist solely to use FB.

So I hear.

I did look up the worst roommate I ever had but he wasn't there. Might
be dead by now.

And a couple other people with rare names, but didn't find any of
them. Did much better with switchboard.com.

I watch my niece's page sometimes. She's my only "friend".

My friend has a real signup and a phony one. I wonder how many are
really subscribed to FB if you don't count duplicates and phony ones.

But for us older persons, it seems that most, of not all, who use it, do
nothing but complain about it. They say it's full of rubbish, rudeness,
idiots, and complainers. (I personally fully agree with that, and after
a brief encounter with it, I closed my FB account forever).

A good example, during the Orlando shooting, the killer was posting to
FB. I dont want my posts to be read by someone like that.... I dont care
how mundane they are....

You should see all the people who post what turn out to be admissions,
used against them in The People's Court to make them lose.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

I am banned most of the time for posting words like, imbecile, stupid, idiot, Niger, and the main culprit 'Ban Islam"

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 6:35:17 PM UTC-4, SBH wrote:
On 6/30/2016 3:47 PM, wrote:
[...]

Well if you do post anything like Ban Islam a muslim will get you banned and you will be forced to upload a government issued ID with your real name. Just do not tell anyone you are using a ficticious name.
Arrest and execute Bill and Hillary Clinton for acts of war agaignst peaceful people like me.
we do not trust in god or allah
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/1/2016 8:27 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 6/30/2016 8:41 PM, Pavel314 wrote:
What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

I wonder how many sex offenders troll FB for pictures?

You are probably one of them. How many friends you have doing the same
thing?

Probably more than we ever want to know. I'm sure I
don't want to know.

The competition bothers you, doesn't it?

Junior Member

I use Facebook to get the most updated news and stuff.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 30, 2016 at 4:48:14 PM UTC-4, wrote:
Being that most posters on this newsgroup are of "advanced age", I have
to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

....snip...

What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They
are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook
since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons
of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and
I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook
so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.

All 4 have my kids have become productive adults and, more importantly, good
people. The boys have very good jobs, one daughter just earned a dual-Masters
degree and found a great job even before she graduated. The other daughter
will earn her Masters in 2017 and is already working in the Senior Living
environment, building programs to enhance the lives of *us*, as part of the
aging population.

We talk all the time via phone, email and text. We are all on great terms
and they have always respected our opinions and advice. We let them have
their Facebook space and it has worked out just fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 2:13 AM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:
I use Facebook to get the most updated news and stuff.

I've heard that FB filters the news feed, and
only things that agree with their point of
view. Who can tell?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They
are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook
since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons
of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and
I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook
so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.

1) You don't need to be in contact with your
family to use facebook. You can be part of a
social circle of neighbors, work associates,
hobbies, etc.
2) I used to have my Father as a FB contact. He
was really impolite about some thing, can't
remember what. And I unfriended him. Of course,
this is the man who used to read letters I had
written, whenever he found them. Such as left
on the kitchen table before I went to the post
office. He'd mark them up with proof readers
marks, and comments. Sounds like you're a lot
more respectful than my Father.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They
are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook
since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons
of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and
I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook
so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.

Please consider another father talk with your
kids. Anything posted to FB is public info.
Regardless of privacy settings. Sounds like
your kids need some instruction on how to NOT
post personal information on the computer.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 9:54:50 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They
are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook
since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons
of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and
I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook
so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.

Please consider another father talk with your
kids. Anything posted to FB is public info.
Regardless of privacy settings. Sounds like
your kids need some instruction on how to NOT
post personal information on the computer.

Why do you think I need to talk to my kids? What in my original post
indicates that my kids don't understand how Facebook works? Why do you
think that they are posting "personal information on the computer"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 9:37:01 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

It sounds like your father was trying to teach you to be
a better writer. If I saw paragraph (2) above lying
on the kitchen table, I'd probably mark it up also.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 10:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see
2) Nothing. What, in my reply, makes you think I said any
thing about your kids knowing how FB works?
3) Because they asked *you* not to be on FB

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

2) Nothing. What, in my reply, makes you think I said any
thing about your kids knowing how FB works?

I quote: "Please consider another father talk with your
kids. Anything posted to FB is public info. Regardless of
privacy settings."

Why would you suggest that I have "another" talk with my
kids and then follow that with an explanation of how Facebook
works unless you thought that they needed it explained to them?

If the talk is not supposed to be about Facebook privacy
settings/issues, just what are you suggesting that I talk to
them about?

3) Because they asked *you* not to be on FB

That was addressed in #1 above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 9:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 2:13 AM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:
I use Facebook to get the most updated news and stuff.

I've heard that FB filters the news feed, and
only things that agree with their point of
view. Who can tell?

There was a big stink about that a few weeks back and it was denied. In
spite of any company policy, some guy behind the desk can still edit to
his personal agenda.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

I will say it sounds a little strange considering the rest of your
family joins in. Aunts and Uncles OK, but keep mom and dad out of this.

We have the opposite. My kids have been after us to join. My wife did
so she can see photos of the grandkids and such, but does nothing else.
I prefer not to join.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 6 Jul 2016 08:16:48 -0700 (PDT), DerbyDad03
wrote:

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

Interpretation:

Kids: "Dad, don't be a helicopter parent."

Dad: "Okay, don't be a boomerang kid. Be independent."

:-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

Interpretation:

Kids: "Dad, don't be a helicopter parent."

Dad: "Okay, don't be a boomerang kid. Be independent."

:-)

Pretty darn close.

"Be independent, but we are here when you need us."

It's been working that way for years, and I see no reason why it won't
continue.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 8:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 2:13 AM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:
I use Facebook to get the most updated news and stuff.

I've heard that FB filters the news feed, and
only things that agree with their point of
view. Who can tell?

Gosh, people who watch Fox News are complaining about slanted coverage?

Next thing you know, they'll be demanding the return of the Fairness
Doctrine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 11:12 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

I will say it sounds a little strange considering the rest of your
family joins in. Aunts and Uncles OK, but keep mom and dad out of this.

We have the opposite. My kids have been after us to join. My wife
did so she can see photos of the grandkids and such, but does nothing
else. I prefer not to join.

I have a sibling who was diagnosed with leukemia ten years ago. She
kept it a secret from everyone in the family except for one sister,
but she shared it on Facebook with her friends and acquaintances. She
slipped up last year and made a cryptic reference to her 'condition'
in a FB post shared with family. After a casual question was asked of
the sister in the know ("So - what's up with Sis?"), she broke down
and let the cat out of the bag. Sister with leukemia has now disowned
us for intruding on her privacy.

Yes, she's nuts.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 2:30:29 PM UTC-4, Moe DeLoughan wrote:
[...]

I hope that you (and the rest of the disowned family) will be there for
her if the need arises. Don't hold her nuttiness against her. Illness and
stress can make us do some weird stuff, but very few of us want to suffer
alone.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 10:51 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Change of subject noted.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

Hey, if you don't want to take my advice,
that's fine. Why spend post after post
blathering on and on about it? Methinks
thou doth protest too much. If you were
truly comfortable and secure, you could
easily have said no thank you, and been
done with it. Why are you making so much
effort, and changing the subject?

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 11:56 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/6/2016 9:28 AM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 2:13 AM, NicholasMeleeMan wrote:
I use Facebook to get the most updated news and stuff.

I've heard that FB filters the news feed, and
only things that agree with their point of
view. Who can tell?

There was a big stink about that a few weeks back and it was denied. In
spite of any company policy, some guy behind the desk can still edit to
his personal agenda.

Does anyone really expect a public statement
from FB "Hey, we have a huge bias, and we
make every effort to silence our critics." ???

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 4:13:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Is that the best defense you have for your erroneous post?

You know, you could just admit your error. Yes, it is legal
and ethical to apologize on usenet.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/6/2016 9:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

I'm not defending any thing. I'm suggesting
to you that there are other ways to handle
a moment when you don't like a suggestion.

And, no, I will not apologize for making a
sincere suggestion. You may wish to apologize
for goal post shifting, changing the subject,
and taking offense when none was meant.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:53:01 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Your suggestion was based on your assumption that my kids "need some instruction on
how to NOT post personal information on the computer. " (your words)

That assumption was incorrect. That assumption was also a change of subject.

You are assuming that I took offense. That is another incorrect assumption. I was not offended
by your suggestion, but I do have the right to ask you why you made it. When you give your
reasons, I have the right to point out the error in your thought process. That's called a
conversation.

You say that I don't want to take your advice. That is also incorrect. It's not that I don't *want*
to take your advice, it's that I don't *need* to take your advice. Your suggestion was based on an
incorrect assumption related to my kids' knowledge of internet privacy issues. You brought it
up, I responded. Again, that's called a conversation.