Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Any Facebook experts ?

Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

If I was in the U.S.A. where phone companies charge for receiving a text I'd have gone postal by now.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
fred writes:
Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Well, where do they come from then?

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, December 10, 2012 1:16:19 PM UTC, Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,

fred writes:

Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Well, where do they come from then?

--

Andrew Gabriel

I'm guessing Axminster posts one message which Facebook then distributes via those people who have "friended" Axminster so it may be that Axminster doesn't know who actually gets them.

Thats only a guess.

But given that I have closed my Facebook account (last week) HTF am I still getting the txts? Does it take time to close the account ?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred writes:

[...]

Yes. Your account is held fo several weeks to allow you time to change your
mind and resurrect it. Although you might not want to, it might be the
easiest way of sorting this out. Apparently all you need to do is to
attempt to log in using your username and password. If it hasn't been
completely deleted then this should restore it.

If you do this, go to your Timeline (just click on your name) then click on
the drop down menu at the top right and select "Account Settings". From
there, select "Notifications" and look at all your notification settings.
Edit them if necessary, particularly the notifications by text message..

Also under account settings, click on "Mobile" and remove your mobile
number. A bit of "bolting the door after the horse has bolted" but every
little helps.

Lastly, go back to your timeline and near the top of the page, you'll see
information about you, your friends, your photos, your likes and other
stuff. Click on your "Likes". Look to see if Axminster is there. If it
is, hover over their name and then deselect the "like". This will stop any
ads from Axminster appearing in your newsfeed (and by text if you have opted
to receive updates by text).

Hope this sorts you out.

Alternatively, do nothing and they will *probably* stop but I'd be inclined
to have a go at the above.

Tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Tim+" wrote:

But given that I have closed my Facebook account (last week) HTF am I
still getting the txts? Does it take time to close the account ?

Yes. Your account is held fo several weeks to allow you time to change your
mind and resurrect it. ...

Is that relevant? The texters have his phone number now; will they
*ever* be told that these texts are not 'required' because the owner has
left Facebook?

(I gather we're talking about texts, but the same would apply if it were
emails.)

J.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

fred writes:

Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Well, where do they come from then?

I'm guessing Axminster posts one message which Facebook then distributes via those people who have "friended" Axminster so it may be that Axminster doesn't know who actually gets them.

Thats only a guess.

Facebook doesn't send out texts.
That must be being done by Axminster or someone they subcontract,
after lifting your number from your facebook details.

But you still didn't say where the texts claim to come from.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message

fred writes:

[...]

They do if you enable them, but they're only the usual Facebook
notifications and can be turned off.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
"Mentalguy2k8" writes:

"Andrew Gabriel" wrote in message
Facebook doesn't send out texts.
That must be being done by Axminster or someone they subcontract,
after lifting your number from your facebook details.

They do if you enable them, but they're only the usual Facebook
notifications and can be turned off.

Oh, never noticed. Mind you, I would never have given them my
mobile number, just like I never gave them my real date of birth;
the risk of them leaking is too high and they don't need to know.

--
Andrew Gabriel
Posted to uk.d-i-y

How unlock my fb account
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 05:07:24 -0800 (PST), fred
wrote:

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Send them a bill for every text you receive, say a tenner a text.
Back it up with a small claim.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Send them a bill for every text you receive, say a tenner a text.

Back it up with a small claim.

On what basis can you charge someone for a text that you've received? Show me the contract with the appropriate intention, offer, acceptance and consideration . You can't even argue that receiving a text "costs" you anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

Send them a bill for every text you receive, say a tenner a text.

Back it up with a small claim.

On what basis can you charge someone for a text that you've received? Show me the contract with the appropriate intention, offer, acceptance and consideration . You can't even argue that receiving a text "costs" you anything.

Use of equipment, your time wasted in reading or deleting it at
punishment rates for the sender.

--
Tciao for Now!

John.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:34:38 +0000, John Williamson wrote:

Send them a bill for every text you receive, say a tenner a text.
Back it up with a small claim.

On what basis can you charge someone for a text that you've received?
Show me the contract with the appropriate intention, offer, acceptance
and consideration . You can't even argue that receiving a text
"costs" you anything.

You tell them to cease and desist with say 7 days and failure to do so
will be taken acceptance of you terms for receiveing further messages, ie
£10/message.

Some one was recently in the news for doing just that.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-20068927

Cold calling but the same principle applies.

Use of equipment, your time wasted in reading or deleting it at
punishment rates for the sender.

That's the sort of hook you hang the justification for your charges on.

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Liquorice" wrote:
[...]

At the moment though, the OP hasn't clarified whether these are text
messages direct from Axminster of just FB notifications of a new Axminster
message on FB.

If they're the former, a simple reply with STOP might well work.

Tim
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 10 Dec 2012 16:53:32 +0000 (GMT), "Dave Liquorice"
wrote:

[...]

I am not sure that this method actually has a legitimate legal basis.
In the case highlighted in the news the company paid without going to
court. I would love this to be true since I could retire off earnings
from spammers.

To the OP: If it persists contact the ICO but don't expect a speedy
solution.
--
(\__/) M.
(")_(") is he still wrong?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Dec 10, 1:07 pm, fred wrote:
Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

If I was in the U.S.A. where phone companies charge for receiving a text I'd have gone postal by now.

what network you on?

Jim K
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/12/2012 13:07, fred wrote:
Out of curiosity I joined Facebook when it first appeared on the scene. Never used it except I appear to have 'Friended' (?) Axminster Power Tools and am now getting txt messages with special offer 2-3 times daily which is driving me up the wall.

Tried 'Un-friending' them on Facebook (and boy do they make that difficult.)

That didn't work so I closed my Facebook account (Another trip through Wiki land to find out how).

Still getting the infuriating text messages.

HTF do I stop these texts. Axminster say they cannot help.

If I was in the U.S.A. where phone companies charge for receiving a text I'd have gone postal by now.

Are you sure you gave facebook your mobile number? Are you sure the
texts are from facebook? I have never heard of Facebook sending out
texts. Plenty of emails but never texts.

Tim w
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Unlock my fb account lock.how

OT Thank God for facebook ARWadsworth UK diy 13 March 17th 12 03:32 PM
TOT; Facebook The Medway Handyman UK diy 18 October 30th 11 12:12 PM
Who is on Facebook? David F. Eisan[_2_] Woodworking 171 June 16th 11 06:24 AM
Facebook FFS Jim K[_3_] UK diy 0 March 3rd 11 02:36 PM
[C&UOT] facebook friends John Stumbles UK diy 33 July 27th 10 01:24 PM