Posted to alt.home.repair
Meanie[_4_] Meanie[_4_] is offline

Default (OT) Why do you use Facebook?

On 6/30/2016 3:47 PM, wrote:
Being that most posters on this newsgroup are of "advanced age", I have
to ask why you use Facebook (if you do)?

For persons under the age of 30, FB seems to be "required", and many of
them seem to exist solely to use FB.

But for us older persons, it seems that most, of not all, who use it, do
nothing but complain about it. They say it's full of rubbish, rudeness,
idiots, and complainers. (I personally fully agree with that, and after
a brief encounter with it, I closed my FB account forever).

So, I often ask these older people "WHY DO YOU USE FB, IF YOU DISLIKE IT
SO MUCH?". Every time, I get the same answer, "It lets me stay in touch
with friends and family members and see pictures of the grand-kids,
etc".

Ummmmmmm, DID YOU EVER HEAR OF EMAIL?
Apparently these are people who dont know how to use a computer....

I have kept in contact with friends and family for many years, using
EMAIL. I can send them pictures of anything, and do so easier than I can
on FB. The best part is that ONLY my friend or family member will see
that picture and/or read what I wrote.

On FB, everything you post can be seen by the whole world, and I found
that no matter how much you filter and adjust settings on FB, the whole
world can still access whatever you post. Even if I only post a picture
of my dog, and write about my trip to the park, I DO NOT want a bunch of
assholes reading what I posted.

A good example, during the Orlando shooting, the killer was posting to
FB. I dont want my posts to be read by someone like that.... I dont care
how mundane they are....

Facebook is nothing but a virus that has taken over the internet and has
ruined most of what the internet was originally intended to be. In the
meantime, you can keep it's founder Mark Zukerberg wealthy and he is now
one of the wealthiest people on earth.

Think before you use FB, and learn to use email to contact your REAL
friends. FB friends are not your friends at all. Many are even
dangerous...

What's YOUR excuse for using Facebook?

I use it with a fictitious name for part of my business. It helps me
gather info on someone because there's always a FB fool who will display
his/her entire life for the world to see. I assume they feel a sense of
importance with all there make believe friends on their FB list. Other
than that, I wouldn't be caught dead with that app on my phone, PC or
anywhere for my own personal use.