Posted to alt.home.repair

Default (OT) Why do you use Facebook?

On 7/7/2016 2:50 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:53:01 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 9:29 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 4:13:12 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 10:52:58 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 10:45 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Wednesday, July 6, 2016 at 9:54:50 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/6/2016 9:18 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
I do not use Facebook, based on a long-ago request from my "kids". They
are all adults now, ranging in age from 23 - 28 and have been on Facebook
since high school. Back then we sat down and discussed the pros and cons
of the internet and specifically Facebook. I trusted my kids back then and
I trust them even more now. They requested that SWMBO and I not join Facebook
so that they could have their privacy. We went along with that request.

Please consider another father talk with your
kids. Anything posted to FB is public info.
Regardless of privacy settings. Sounds like
your kids need some instruction on how to NOT
post personal information on the computer.

Why do you think I need to talk to my kids? What in my original post
indicates that my kids don't understand how Facebook works? Why do you
think that they are posting "personal information on the computer"?

1) Some thing they are posting, they don't want you to see

Not true. Wanting their privacy is very different than not wanting us
to see what they post. That might be hard for some to understand, but I
get it. In addition, we have lots of family members, including my
(and SWMBO's) brothers and sisters who are FB friends with my kids. If
my kids were trying to hide things from us, Facebook would not be the
place to do it. They simply asked for some separation and we honored
that request. It's called trust and respect.

2) Nothing. What, in my reply, makes you think I said any
thing about your kids knowing how FB works?

I quote: "Please consider another father talk with your
kids. Anything posted to FB is public info. Regardless of
privacy settings."

Why would you suggest that I have "another" talk with my
kids and then follow that with an explanation of how Facebook
works unless you thought that they needed it explained to them?

If the talk is not supposed to be about Facebook privacy
settings/issues, just what are you suggesting that I talk to
them about?

3) Because they asked *you* not to be on FB

That was addressed in #1 above.

Hey, if you don't want to take my advice,
that's fine. Why spend post after post
blathering on and on about it? Methinks
thou doth protest too much. If you were
truly comfortable and secure, you could
easily have said no thank you, and been
done with it. Why are you making so much
effort, and changing the subject?

Is that the best defense you have for your erroneous post?

You know, you could just admit your error. Yes, it is legal
and ethical to apologize on usenet.

I'm not defending any thing. I'm suggesting
to you that there are other ways to handle
a moment when you don't like a suggestion.

And, no, I will not apologize for making a
sincere suggestion. You may wish to apologize
for goal post shifting, changing the subject,
and taking offense when none was meant.

Your suggestion was based on your assumption that my kids "need some instruction on
how to NOT post personal information on the computer. " (your words)

That assumption was incorrect. That assumption was also a change of subject.

You are assuming that I took offense. That is another incorrect assumption. I was not offended
by your suggestion, but I do have the right to ask you why you made it. When you give your
reasons, I have the right to point out the error in your thought process. That's called a
conversation.

You say that I don't want to take your advice. That is also incorrect. It's not that I don't *want*
to take your advice, it's that I don't *need* to take your advice. Your suggestion was based on an
incorrect assumption related to my kids' knowledge of internet privacy issues. You brought it
up, I responded. Again, that's called a conversation.

Well, for a guy who's not offended and not
concerned what I think, you sure ramble on
a lot. Have you considered just taking my
suggestion, and apologizing for wasting so
much of your and my time?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 8:54:54 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Who said I wasn't concerned with what you think? The mere fact that
I have tried to point out the error in your assumption shows that I
care. That certainly doesn't mean I'm offended. Once again, it's called
"conversation".

Have you considered just taking my
suggestion...

Why would I consider taking a suggestion that doesn't fit the
situation?

You made an incorrect assumption and you made a suggestion based on
that incorrect assumption. All I've tried to do is explain why your
assumption was incorrect. Once again, it's called "conversation".

... and apologizing for wasting so much of your and my time?

Thank you for your concern about my time. I don't feel it's been
wasted, but thanks anyway. As far as *your* time, I can't waste that,
only you can. If you consider this conversation to be a waste of your
time, feel free to stop reading my responses and then responding. Only
you have the power to decide how to spend your time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 9:37 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yet another goal post shift. You're flailing
around in the dark trying to get some thing to
stick to me. In this case, it's about me, now,
and wasted time. What a pathetic, failed effort.
I make a simple and correct suggestion, and you
waste endless time trying to establish some false
and goofy assertion about it being my problem.

I bet you do this with other people in your life.
When your doctor tries to write you a prescription,
do you spend the next three days trying to get
your doctor to admit that he's mistaken?

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 10:06:56 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Change of subject noted
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 10:29 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Yep, we went from Derby having a conversation
with his kids to Chris and his suggestion.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You sure appear to be defensive about some thing.
I've found that when a simple comment draws THIS
much rambling and diversion, there is some thing
under the surface. I hope you can figure out what.
I'm concerned for you.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 10:55:57 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Thank you for your concern, however misplaced it is.

I hope you don't waste too much of your time being
concerned about something that doesn't exist.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 10:46:17 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

....to Chris not seeing that his suggestion doesn't
even apply to the situation because it is based on
an incorrect assumption.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 11:14 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

It would have been so, so easy to end this several
posts ago. You keep going on, which is evidence of
concern on your part.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 11:16 AM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

The longer you try to prove there is no
connection, the more obvious it is that
you are troubled by some thing about your
kids posting without your observing.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Probably the fault of all the mail from Honda!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 10:29:24 AM UTC-5, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Possibly, you, DD3, Trade4, Micky, MMacaw, and DonY should get together for OCD discussion? (I probably left out a few, sorry for that)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 11:27:32 AM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

So why didn't you? As soon as I pointed out your error, you could
have just said "OK, bye." Yet you keep implying that I have some
kind of issue because I keep responding to your posts.

You keep going on, which is evidence of
concern on your part.

Yes, I am concerned that you don't see the error in your
thinking. It seems to me that instead of admitting your error,
you just want to make sure you get the last word in.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 12:07 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
[...]

Of course, you're the one who is going on. It
would have been easy for you to thank me for
my suggestion, and it would all have been over,
many posts ago.

And instead of politely doing so, you keep
dragging the matter out with goal post shifts,
and requests for apology. It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:56:33 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
[...]

Now that's funny, especially coming from the guy who said:

"Sounds like you're a lot more respectful than my Father."

Thank you for your suggestion. May you sleep well
thinking that your suggestion even remotely applies
to my family situation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 7 Jul 2016 12:56:27 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

Wrong, big dummy. WTF are you to instruct a father about "privacy"?
Derby was speaking about "personal privacy" with his children. A
right to be left alone. Had nothing to do with "online privacy".

You stepped into a turd pile.

How many children do you have? And. You are trying to psychoanalyze a
father of near grown children. Who are you to give advice on the
Internet, when you have no children?

Did you get your Psychology Degree on the Internet?

That's my rulin'
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

Wrong, big dummy. WTF are you to instruct a father about "privacy"?
Derby was speaking about "personal privacy" with his children. A
right to be left alone. Had nothing to do with "online privacy".

You stepped into a turd pile.

How many children do you have? And. You are trying to psychoanalyze a
father of near grown children. Who are you to give advice on the
Internet, when you have no children?

Did you get your Psychology Degree on the Internet?

That's my rulin'

Thanks for the support, but odds are he won't get it.

He took a simple explanation of why I don't use Facebook and ballooned
it up to "an embarrassed father with family problems". I am blessed to
have 4 of the hardest working, well-rounded and polite kids I've ever
met. I couldn't be prouder of the adults they've become and I couldn't
be happier with the loving relationship I have with each of them.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Chris barked up the wrong tree.

Will your grandchildren be named "Derby"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

No, but I might have to change my handle to DerbyGramps, assuming
they get into Soap Box Derby racing. :-)

However, none of my kids are close to having children at this time (Hey
Chris: I'm OK with that) and the minimum age to race is 8. The DerbyDad03
handle is safe for quite awhile.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/7/2016 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:56:33 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And instead of politely doing so, you keep
dragging the matter out with goal post shifts,
and requests for apology. It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

Now that's funny, especially coming from the guy who said:

"Sounds like you're a lot more respectful than my Father."

Thank you for your suggestion. May you sleep well
thinking that your suggestion even remotely applies
to my family situation.

You're very welcome. And please feel free to ask
my help on any matter.

--
..
Christopher A. Young

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

Wrong, big dummy. WTF are you to instruct a father about "privacy"?
Derby was speaking about "personal privacy" with his children. A
right to be left alone. Had nothing to do with "online privacy".

You stepped into a turd pile.

How many children do you have? And. You are trying to psychoanalyze a
father of near grown children. Who are you to give advice on the
Internet, when you have no children?

Did you get your Psychology Degree on the Internet?

That's my rulin'

Personal attacks and name calling. That's my observation.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/07/2016 09:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're very welcome. And please feel free to ask
my help on any matter.

--
.
Christopher A. Young

http://cdn8.openculture.com/wp-conte...re-Awesome.jpg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Father Guido Sarducci wrote :
On 07/07/2016 09:40 PM, Stormin Mormon wrote:
You're very welcome. And please feel free to ask
my help on any matter.

-- .
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
. www.lds.org
.
.

http://cdn8.openculture.com/wp-conte...re-Awesome.jpg

Funny photo, considering a message I recently sent to a friend.

Bill's expression is priceless.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 11:40:23 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:
On 7/7/2016 2:30 PM, DerbyDad03 wrote:
On Thursday, July 7, 2016 at 12:56:33 PM UTC-4, Stormin Mormon wrote:

And instead of politely doing so, you keep
dragging the matter out with goal post shifts,
and requests for apology. It should be clear to
all who read this, who is embarassed to admit
that he has family problems.

Now that's funny, especially coming from the guy who said:

"Sounds like you're a lot more respectful than my Father."

Thank you for your suggestion. May you sleep well
thinking that your suggestion even remotely applies
to my family situation.

You're very welcome. And please feel free to ask
my help on any matter.

Your dad would have corrected that last sentence.