Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On 10/18/2015 09:33 AM, trader_4 wrote:
Short status report and then back to longer replies to everyone when this is
over. Gotta prep the area for the wire-ectomy and move some loads to other
circuits not on the sparking side.

Left hot wire is heat damaged and that damage may extend into the 100A
breaker (dual? tie-handled? - not sure of the right terms) but it's the
breaker that takes the street feed on both sides. The frikkin' wire seems
to be aluminum.

The left feed's bare metal is dark and discolored and could be either. The
neutral wire is un-insulated and very loosely braided and silver colored,
which leads me to believe I've got an aluminum feed from the meter. Crap.

All the new construction I've seen here has used aluminum for service
entrance for decades. It meets code, it's safe and it costa a lot less
than copper.

You are right, the feed wires are aluminum

I should have specified that the house wires should preferably be copper.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 07:33:29 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 9:13:33 AM UTC-4, Texas Kingsnake wrote:
"Micky" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 17:29:57 -0400, "Texas Kingsnake"
wrote:

I am thinking the clamp has loosened over time. I am going to get a
well-insulated screwdriver, put on very heavy rubber gloves and am going

try to tighten the clamp which may have not been tightened in 40 years.

I'm not telling you whether to do this or not, but if you decide to do
it, well-insulated screwdriver means wrapping electric tape or maybe
silicon tape over the whole shaft and blade, overlapping so there's
more than one layer, so when the screwdriver slips, only the very tip
will likely connect electrically.

Also helps to prevent the reflexive action of guiding the tip of the
screwdriver to the target screw with your (foolishly) ungloved left hand.

DAMHIKT

Short status report and then back to longer replies to everyone when this is
over. Gotta prep the area for the wire-ectomy and move some loads to other
circuits not on the sparking side.

Left hot wire is heat damaged and that damage may extend into the 100A
breaker (dual? tie-handled? - not sure of the right terms) but it's the
breaker that takes the street feed on both sides. The frikkin' wire seems
to be aluminum.

The left feed's bare metal is dark and discolored and could be either. The
neutral wire is un-insulated and very loosely braided and silver colored,
which leads me to believe I've got an aluminum feed from the meter. Crap.

All the new construction I've seen here has used aluminum for service
entrance for decades. It meets code, it's safe and it costa a lot less
than copper.

One or two more thing to be attentive of:

Most box and breaker terminals that are aluminum or are suitable for use
with aluminum conductors are tin plated. This tin plating is easily
burned or scraped away. Without the plating, corrosion protectant
becomes vital to keep the connection secure.
Please be aware that the torque spec on the lugs has a double purpose as
aluminum wire , if too tight, will cold flow. Loose connections will
continue to heat and further loosen so the final torque should be close
to guard against both unequal expansion and cold flow.
--
Mr.E
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 8:26:38 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 10/17/2015 08:30 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 10:56:34 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:

That burned up socket set I showed a photo of took out a 1000 amp fuse..
I think the battery could easily have supplied ten times that amount.
It was a large rack-mounted stationery battery.

I hope you weren't hurt. I'm guessing that company policy was to always wear safety goggles, gloves and protective clothing of some kind when you were servicing large battery packs. I just had a thought of how dangerous the WWI and WWII submarines with huge battery banks must have been, especially when hit by weapons fire. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Lead Monster

Yep, I was wearing safety glasses and insulated gloves so was not hurt.

Unfortunately the short caused one of the battery cells to explode and I
was in a relatively small room. My ears rang for 24 hours after that.

Even though it was my fault and I should not have worked on it unless
the customer agreed to take the unit off-line...my boss actually took
the blame because he was supposed to have gotten me certified insulated
tools.

Though it may very well have been an OSHA violation it was common
practice to work on live equipment in situations where the customer
really could not take the equipment off-line.

After my mishap though I never again did anything like that and even
once agreed to come into a place at midnight, news years eve to do the
work. They said at that time they could take the system down for an hour.

Me and the guys I worked with would often work through the night to get a customer ready to go the next day. It was anything from mechanical, electrical ,electronic , computer, telecom, HVAC and all kinds of installations. I worked with a bunch of guys from multiple crafts who were a one stop shopping group for service, repair, remodel and installation. We hired each other depending on what needed to be done. We were all in the same boat. We were too disabled to hold a 9 to 5 job but not lazy and too damn stubborn to ask for any government assistance. I qualified for disability payments for 25 years before I became too sick to work anymore. I didn't want a government handout, I wanted work for what I got and I still want to work but now I can't and it's extremely frustrating. I get angry when I hear people whining that they can't find a job. Me and the guys I worked with went looking for work and when word got around about our skillset, we didn't have to look for work, it came looking for us. There seems to be an uptick in service work in the last few years which I believe indicates an improving economy. That's why I'm so fraking frustrated because there's a ton of work I'm missing out on. I'm going to but my braces on again today and see how far I can travel in my walker. I hope to soon be able to put racing stripes on that insult to mobility. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The only caveat is that aluminum wire must be prepped and installed properly. A problem I've seen is not just loose connections but over torqued lugs. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wire Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 21:44:30 -0700 (PDT), Uncle Monster
wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 9:01:34 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:57:22 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:48:48 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:40:16 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

Check out this guy using 3 car batteries in series and doing a heck of a job arc welding some steel. ^__^

http://www.popsci.com/article/diy/ho...s-welder-video

[8~{} Uncle Arc Monster

I don't get why you (and the article/video) say "series" when it should be parallel to give you 3X the current at the same voltage?

He has them in series in order to get 36 volts which will produce a better arc. If he tried to strike an arc with 12 volts, the rod might stick, melt the rod and damage his cabling. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Melted Monster

From the article..."A single car battery lacks the juice to sustain a metal-melting arc between the tip of a welding rod and a piece of steel". Series gives the same juice as one battery.

The 3 batteries in series increases the wattage because of the higher voltage. It's basic electricity. Volts X amps = watts. 12 volts at 100 amps = 1,200 watts. 36 volts at 100 amps = 3,600 watts. If you look at the controls on an arc welding machine, you will see a control to adjust the wattage. As my cloud hugger friends say,"The science is settled." ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Hug Monster

Actually, the scale on the welder says it's adjusting the "amperage"
and welders are rated in "amps" - but it realy IS adjusting the amount
of heat the welder can produce, which is wattage. On some basic
welders it is really also adjusting the voltage - while on other more
advanced welders the arc voltage stays basically the same.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am thinking the clamp has loosened over time. I am going to get a
well-insulated screwdriver, put on very heavy rubber gloves and am going to
try to tighten the clamp which may have not been tightened in 40 years.

I'm not telling you whether to do this or not, but if you decide to do
it, well-insulated screwdriver means wrapping electric tape or maybe
silicon tape over the whole shaft and blade, overlapping so there's
more than one layer, so when the screwdriver slips, only the very tip
will likely connect electrically.

A "proper" electrician's screwdriver already HAS an insulated shaft.
Don't ever get caught by the OSHA guys working in an electrical box
with a "common" screwdriver. You can end up with some unpaid holidays,
and possibly a hrfty fine to go with it.

A couple layers of heat-shring tubing properly applied makes a good
"electrician's" screwdriver out od a "common" one
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 20:15:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

he thing about what I'm smelling is it isn't there all the time and I
can't find where it's coming from. It's like a faint scent and then
goes away. My husband hasn't ever smelled it, but I it's hard to
describe it. The only thing I can compare it to is the smell of
electricity.

Perhaps your smell is fine. It could be insulation on the wire
(burning), back stabbed outlets, switches (heat), a ceiling fan motor
/ wire nut connection (pour mechanical/electrical connection) or
something in the panel. Nobody can tell from here.

From my DIY experience... not being an electrician.
--
"We recommend using your hand to replace the fuse as it will take much longer using your knee."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2015 01:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

In my situation my knees were in bad shape but I held on as long as I
could and only got them replaced when I got down to 15 minutes of
standing time.

I was 63 and though I got disability until my 66th birthday, I was old
enough to get Social Security anyway.

Considering I worked a total of 45 years and considering I took two sick
days in the 38 years I was on my "real" job...I did not feel like a bum
for taking disability.

A friend of mine recently retired due to disability and he won't take
it. In some ways I think he's a fool, but in other's...since he chose to
take up smoking again after he had kicked the habit...then ruined his
lungs...maybe he just feels guilty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 9:01:34 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:57:22 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:48:48 PM UTC-5, bob_villa wrote:
On Saturday, October 17, 2015 at 8:40:16 PM UTC-5, Uncle Monster wrote:

Check out this guy using 3 car batteries in series and doing a heck of a job arc welding some steel. ^__^

http://www.popsci.com/article/diy/ho...s-welder-video

[8~{} Uncle Arc Monster

I don't get why you (and the article/video) say "series" when it should be parallel to give you 3X the current at the same voltage?

He has them in series in order to get 36 volts which will produce a better arc. If he tried to strike an arc with 12 volts, the rod might stick, melt the rod and damage his cabling. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Melted Monster

From the article..."A single car battery lacks the juice to sustain a metal-melting arc between the tip of a welding rod and a piece of steel". Series gives the same juice as one battery.

The 3 batteries in series increases the wattage because of the higher voltage. It's basic electricity. Volts X amps = watts. 12 volts at 100 amps = 1,200 watts. 36 volts at 100 amps = 3,600 watts. If you look at the controls on an arc welding machine, you will see a control to adjust the wattage. As my cloud hugger friends say,"The science is settled." ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Hug Monster

Actually, the scale on the welder says it's adjusting the "amperage"
and welders are rated in "amps" - but it realy IS adjusting the amount
of heat the welder can produce, which is wattage. On some basic
welders it is really also adjusting the voltage - while on other more
advanced welders the arc voltage stays basically the same.

From what I understand, manual welders (hand held) are mostly voltage adjustable whereas automatic (machine/robot) welders being current adjustable. Of course I've only done simple stick welding for repair work and I'm not an expert. That's why I call my pal LM. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Stick Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 2:31:26 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

One of the guys was a master carpenter and cabinet maker who grew up in a cabinet shop so he knew a little bit about wood. He lost a lung to cancer but couldn't put the cigarettes down. He hid his smoking from me, my brother, his wife, his daughters and his sisters because he knew we'd chew him out for it. He passed away in his sleep at age 71 during the week of the last job we were doing. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Wood Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

What is cold flow. I can imagine that if you tighten too much, you
pancake the aluminum? And you can just keep tightening and
tightening?

continue to heat and further loosen so the final torque should be close
to guard against both unequal expansion and cold flow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 18 Oct 2015 13:01:10 -0500, Uncle Monster
wrote:

[...]

Make sure someone walks in front of you with crossed red
hazard flags. I think it's common practice at Home Depot.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I was a kid we used clothes pins and playing cards on our bicycles to slap against the spokes to make a motorcycle sound. I know! I could find one of those toy motorcycles that has an electronic "Vroom Vroom" sound effect module and mount it to my walker. A bike horn with the rubber bulb would fit the handlebars too. I didn't make it into the walker today because I was in too much pain for the reason that the med cart was out of my pain medication and the pharmacy didn't deliver until this evening. There's always tomorrow. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Pain Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2015 2:25 PM, Oren wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 20:15:38 -0500, Muggles wrote:

he thing about what I'm smelling is it isn't there all the time and I
can't find where it's coming from. It's like a faint scent and then
goes away. My husband hasn't ever smelled it, but I it's hard to
describe it. The only thing I can compare it to is the smell of
electricity.

Perhaps your smell is fine. It could be insulation on the wire
(burning), back stabbed outlets, switches (heat), a ceiling fan motor
/ wire nut connection (pour mechanical/electrical connection) or
something in the panel. Nobody can tell from here.

From my DIY experience... not being an electrician.

Thanks for the info. Next time I smell it I can try and track it down
more specifically.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/18/2015 05:48 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

A friend of mine recently retired due to disability and he won't take
it. In some ways I think he's a fool, but in other's...since he chose to
take up smoking again after he had kicked the habit...then ruined his
lungs...maybe he just feels guilty.

One of the guys was a master carpenter and cabinet maker who grew up in a cabinet shop so he knew a little bit about wood. He lost a lung to cancer but couldn't put the cigarettes down. He hid his smoking from me, my brother, his wife, his daughters and his sisters because he knew we'd chew him out for it. He passed away in his sleep at age 71 during the week of the last job we were doing. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Wood Monster

I have seen quite of few of my friends severely disabled due to smoking
and one died just this year. He went fast. About a month after his
diagnosis he was a goner. I suspect he knew he was in trouble for quite
some time.

When my wife moved in here 15 years ago , she was a smoker and I
insisted that she smoke outside.

The first -20F winter got her to quit though. She now hates smoke and
her lungs should be pretty well recovered by now

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 2:28:47 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
[...]

I was born in the middle of the last century and my parents met while they both served in The U.S. Army during WWII. My parents and everybody smoked back then plus me and my siblings except for the youngest were exposed to a lot of tobacco smoke before my parents gave up smoking. I couldn't breathe because of the asthma it caused and to this day, tobacco smoke is like pepper spray to me. Me and my brother can't stand to get around smokers or anywhere smokers hang out. My brother and me have friends who were asked about us by some women,"w-Is he Gay? f-Why do you ask? w-Well, he doesn't seem to be interested in me no matter what I try. f-Has he been nasty to you? w-No, he's always nice to me but doesn't stay around for very long. f-Do you smoke? w-Yes but what's that got to do with anything? f-He thinks smokers are horrible, selfish, disgusting people who only care about themselves but he's too nice to tell you what he thinks of smokers. w-Oh..." I remember meeting some really gorgeous young women in my age group when I was a young man and those beautiful gals smoked like all the other gals because it was the cool thing to do. Their looks deteriorated rapidly until at my age they're either dead or look like The Wicked Witch Of The West. EEEEK! o_O

[8~{} Uncle Wicked Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 6:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I remember meeting some really gorgeous young women in my age group when I was a young man and those beautiful gals smoked like all the other gals because it was the cool thing to do. Their looks deteriorated rapidly until at my age they're either dead or look like The Wicked Witch Of The West. EEEEK! o_O

I never understood why people would want to suck smoke into their lungs.
The couple times I tried it I nearly coughed myself to death!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 06:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:

[...]

Yeah I was born in 1949 and when I was a kid probably half the people
smoked.

When I first met my wife I swore I was not going to go out with her,
simply because she smoked...but we did not live together so I guess I
figured it was OK.

Anyway, after she quit smoking she actually started to look younger.

I also ran into a couple I have not seen in a while, they were both
heavy smokers but they quit...and they look a lot better now.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 09:12 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 10/19/2015 6:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I remember meeting some really gorgeous young women in my age group when I was a young man and those beautiful gals smoked like all the other gals because it was the cool thing to do. Their looks deteriorated rapidly until at my age they're either dead or look like The Wicked Witch Of The West. EEEEK! o_O

I never understood why people would want to suck smoke into their lungs.
The couple times I tried it I nearly coughed myself to death!

Some people have addictive personalities and some don't.

Fortunately I fall into the second group.

In high school a lot of my friends would steal a few cigarettes from
their parents and we all smoked.

I tried it a few times and did not see the point.

I think all the rest got hooked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 10:53 AM, philo wrote:
On 10/19/2015 09:12 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 10/19/2015 6:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I remember meeting some really gorgeous young women in my age group
when I was a young man and those beautiful gals smoked like all the
other gals because it was the cool thing to do. Their looks
deteriorated rapidly until at my age they're either dead or look like
The Wicked Witch Of The West. EEEEK! o_O

I never understood why people would want to suck smoke into their lungs.
The couple times I tried it I nearly coughed myself to death!

Some people have addictive personalities and some don't.

Fortunately I fall into the second group.

In high school a lot of my friends would steal a few cigarettes from
their parents and we all smoked.

I tried it a few times and did not see the point.

I think all the rest got hooked.

Would that mean that the majority in your group have addictive
personalities?

A long time ago I had a problem with sinus infections stopping up my
nose and I couldn't breath very well, so I used over the counter nose
spray off and on. I could breath, but my body eventually got used to it
and it felt like I was addicted to it, so I just tossed the nose spray
and suffered through a couple of weeks of stopped up breathing. I just
can't stand the idea of some medicine like that taking over and me
becoming dependent on it.

When I tried a couple times to smoke (because everyone else did it), no
amount of trying to inhale the smoke came close to me "getting used to
it". People told me it was natural to cough when you started, but after
a while I'd get used to it and I'd stop coughing. It made no sense to
me. Why would I want to get used to coughing or that feeling that I was
suffocating because smoke was hitting my lungs instead of oxygen?

I guess a lot of people will do just about anything be part of the group.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:43:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/16/2015 8:24 PM,
wrote:

Does the power *really* need to be killed at the meterhead? I've changed
out breakers without killing main power (so much frikkin' stuff needs to be
reset after a power shutdown that I hate doing it)?

Your main power lug is loose - and quite possibly burned. You may or
may not be able to tighten it. Trying to tighten it with the circuit
live COULD get nasty if the lug is damaged and comes off the buss when
you try to tighten it.

I have had a burned lug on a service panel and was lucky enough to be
able to find a used replacement lug - and even luckier to be able to
replace it and the cable connecting to it which had also been damaged
by the arcing.

And yes, just pushing on it would possibly temporarily correct it.

I agree that it is best to inspect and replace burnt parts as needed.
OTOH, if he can stop the arcing temporarily it is safer than allowing it
to continue until he can do it right. If he wants to be completely
safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician.

Absolutely no way you need to (or even should) pull the meter. Just
turn off the main breaker and no current can flow. No current means no
arc. No heat. No problem.

How about when he tugs on the hex wrench and braces himself using the
enclosure? Or better yet those $5 gummies on a moist concrete floor.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Texas Kingsnake posted for all of us...

I have a neighbor who is an electrician so I am going to consult with him
tomorrow about what to do. If it's discolored and corroded at the entry to
the clamp, I will consider replacing the entire feed wire from the meter to
the panel since I think that's a relative small piece of what looks to be #6
wire - can't read the markings but am on my way downstairs with a camera
with a macro lens. If all the feed wires are AL, I will consider replacing
all three wires from the panel to the meter with new copper. If it happened
on one wire, it's possible it could happen on the others.

Finally a break through! Stop the nonsense and just ask him. He will
probably be over in 5 minutes and repair the problem. (As long as he has
parts or source to get them during normal hours)

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 10:53:05 AM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 10/19/2015 09:12 AM, Muggles wrote:
On 10/19/2015 6:38 AM, Uncle Monster wrote:
I remember meeting some really gorgeous young women in my age group when I was a young man and those beautiful gals smoked like all the other gals because it was the cool thing to do. Their looks deteriorated rapidly until at my age they're either dead or look like The Wicked Witch Of The West. EEEEK! o_O

I never understood why people would want to suck smoke into their lungs..
The couple times I tried it I nearly coughed myself to death!

Some people have addictive personalities and some don't.
Fortunately I fall into the second group.
In high school a lot of my friends would steal a few cigarettes from
their parents and we all smoked.
I tried it a few times and did not see the point.
I think all the rest got hooked.

All of us kids who were young mad scientists and actually enjoyed going to the library to read books on things like medicine, never smoked. Me and my brother and our fellow science geeks never touched tobacco, alcoholic beverages or illegal drugs because we read about the damage that crap did to the human body. I remember watching a film done by researchers that was a backlit view through a microscope of a section of living tissue which showed the flow of blood through the capillaries in real time. It actually showed the individual blood cells moving with the flow of plasma through the tiny blood vessels. When the researchers slowly introduced ethyl alcohol into the bloodstream of the test subject, the capillaries seem to become clogged with debris and blood flow was greatly impeded until it finally stopped. I hope it was a lab rat they were using. Seeing that film and a bit more reading convinced us geeks and bookworms to never follow the crowd and be like the "cool" kids. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Geek Monster

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 11:01:32 AM UTC-5, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I got addicted to barbecuing and eating small children because I really liked the crunchy toes. The butcher shop kept running out of them and they became too expensive but I did get a lot of volunteers to be eaten up when I dropped by for a visit with friends who had little kids. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Hungry Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/16/2015 8:24 PM, wrote:

[...]

You are not reading the thread - or responding to it.

My response was to the following - and I quote " If he wants to be
completely safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician."

Someone said to pull the meter and call an electrician.
I'm not talking about repairing the fault.
Pulling the meter is NOT something a homeowner should do - and it is
NOT necessary to render the bad connection safe. Throwing the main
breaker disconnects all loads from the service- making the bad
connection a non issue and totally safe untill the electrician arrives
and has the utility do the disconnect - either by pulling the fuse on
the pole, or pulling the meter.

You call yourself a "tekkie". I'm not so sure.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:58:04 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

Almost as bad was forgetting to turn off the "tamper alarm" on my 1963
valliant before opening the hood. 115hz auto radio multivibrator
feeding a bosch ignition coil connected to a strip of window break
detector foil over a mylar insulation strip on the leading edge of the
hood - controlled by a jam switch on the hood.

That sucker would really charge your batteries if you opened the hood
without turning it off first!!!!

+1 HA HA HA, that's good one!

You need to know the story behind that "tamper alerm".

It has been told on this forum before - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, October 19, 2015 at 12:01:32 PM UTC-4, Muggles wrote:
[...]

my neighbors sisters both smoke in high school.

sadly jerry, my neighbor died from lung cancer, so did his dad, so did his sister. the entire group ended up with lung cancer

its very sad.......
Posted to alt.home.repair

I never dated a smoker. a couple said i will quit for the right guy, i said no doubt but it wouldnt be me.

i grew up in a smoking home and absolutely hated it

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, October 16, 2015 at 11:59:28 PM UTC-5, wrote:
On Sat, 17 Oct 2015 00:08:21 -0400, "Ralph Mowery"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
A properly soldered connection is still better than an improperly
crimped connection. Soldered connections should be re-enforced with
heat shrink tupe beyond the solder-stiffened area of the wire.

But the proper crimped connection is a lot berter than an improperly
soldered connectiion.

You are defeating the purpose when not doing things the correct way.

But the "properly crimped connection" is not made with a $3.00
crimping tool and an insulated butt crimp connector consisting of a
tinned copper tube and a hard plastic sleeve on it. A properly crimped
connector requires a crimper with the correct size die for the
connector, and a "calibrated" pressure, to ensure a "gas tite"
connection - and an insulating sleeve that seals to the insulation,
keeping moisture and other corrosive contamination away from the
joint.

It is easier for a reasonably competent craftsman to make a decent
soldered joint with tools at hand than to do a "proper" crimp without
the specialized tools required.

That said, a "proper" crimped connection IS the preferred method of
joining flexible conductors.

I own several expensive ratcheting hand held crimp tools that accurately hold a terminal in the same position and all the crimps come out the same. That type tool and an automatic wire stripper are absolutely necessary when working on an installation where thousands of connections must be made. The muscles in my right forearm became so large that the the other guys on the job thought that I was,..... never mind. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Crimp Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 5:44 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I never thought the cool kids were cool, so never wanted to follow in
their foot steps.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 5:54 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:
[...]

I like bbq beef!

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 7:43 PM, bob haller wrote:
[...]

Both my parents died from complications from smoking.

--
Maggie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 7:45 PM, bob haller wrote:
I never dated a smoker. a couple said i will quit for the right guy, i said no doubt but it wouldnt be me.

i grew up in a smoking home and absolutely hated it

My parents were chain smokers, and there was a constant floating cloud
of smoke in our house. You could blow into the air and see it move and
swirl around. I was sick a lot because of it.

--
Maggie

Posted to alt.home.repair

There's a Cat in your breaker box. Let him out and he will stop hissing!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/19/2015 9:03 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

I own several expensive ratcheting hand held

crimp tools that accurately hold a terminal in
the same position and all the crimps come out
the same. That type tool and an automatic wire
stripper are absolutely necessary when working
on an installation where thousands of connections
must be made. The muscles in my right forearm
became so large that the the other guys on the
job thought that I was,..... never mind. ^__^

[8~{} Uncle Crimp Monster

You and Popeye the Sailor man: Both using
Olive Oyl?

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box / and now cool kids

On 10/20/2015 12:47 AM, Muggles wrote:
[...]

I still remember the day in third grade, the cool
kids gave me to the end of the day to decide. I could
either be one of the cool kids, or I could stick with
my other friend. I chose to avoid the cool kids. And
looking back, I wonder how things might have been
different. I'll likely never know.

I guess lung cancer, alcoholism, drunk driving arrests
and lying to everyone has appeal to some people.

-
..
Christopher A. Young
learn more about Jesus
.. www.lds.org
..
..
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 10/20/2015 4:30 AM, wrote:
There's a Cat in your breaker box. Let him out and he will stop hissing!

Sure that's a cat?

http://ihihomeinspections.com/wp-con...eakysnake2.jpg

A friend of mine, one electrical socket was not
working. I took the panel cover off, and went to
try the window air conditioner. She was standing
in the cellar watching the box. I came down stairs
and she said it had been sparking "up here",
pointing towards the upper right. The neutral
wire had loosened up. I went up and down the row
and tightened them all, and things worked fine.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 20 Oct 2015 07:11:08 -0400, Stormin Mormon
wrote:

On 10/20/2015 4:30 AM, wrote:
There's a Cat in your breaker box. Let him out and he will stop hissing!

Sure that's a cat?

http://ihihomeinspections.com/wp-con...eakysnake2.jpg

A friend of mine, one electrical socket was not
working. I took the panel cover off, and went to
try the window air conditioner. She was standing
in the cellar watching the box. I came down stairs
and she said it had been sparking "up here",
pointing towards the upper right. The neutral
wire had loosened up. I went up and down the row
and tightened them all, and things worked fine.

a cat with racing stripes??
Or a possum?