Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On Mon, 19 Oct 2015 16:47:22 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

posted for all of us...

On Fri, 16 Oct 2015 21:43:45 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 10/16/2015 8:24 PM, wrote:

Does the power *really* need to be killed at the meterhead? I've changed
out breakers without killing main power (so much frikkin' stuff needs to be
reset after a power shutdown that I hate doing it)?

Your main power lug is loose - and quite possibly burned. You may or
may not be able to tighten it. Trying to tighten it with the circuit
live COULD get nasty if the lug is damaged and comes off the buss when
you try to tighten it.

I have had a burned lug on a service panel and was lucky enough to be
able to find a used replacement lug - and even luckier to be able to
replace it and the cable connecting to it which had also been damaged
by the arcing.

And yes, just pushing on it would possibly temporarily correct it.

I agree that it is best to inspect and replace burnt parts as needed.
OTOH, if he can stop the arcing temporarily it is safer than allowing it
to continue until he can do it right. If he wants to be completely
safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician.

Absolutely no way you need to (or even should) pull the meter. Just
turn off the main breaker and no current can flow. No current means no
arc. No heat. No problem.

How about when he tugs on the hex wrench and braces himself using the
enclosure? Or better yet those $5 gummies on a moist concrete floor.

You are not reading the thread - or responding to it.

My response was to the following - and I quote " If he wants to be
completely safe, pull the meter until you can get an electrician."

Someone said to pull the meter and call an electrician.
I'm not talking about repairing the fault.
Pulling the meter is NOT something a homeowner should do - and it is
NOT necessary to render the bad connection safe. Throwing the main
breaker disconnects all loads from the service- making the bad
connection a non issue and totally safe untill the electrician arrives
and has the utility do the disconnect - either by pulling the fuse on
the pole, or pulling the meter.

You call yourself a "tekkie". I'm not so sure.