Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Circuit breaker box hisses

On Sunday, October 18, 2015 at 2:31:26 PM UTC-5, philo wrote:
On 10/18/2015 01:01 PM, Uncle Monster wrote:

After my mishap though I never again did anything like that and even
once agreed to come into a place at midnight, news years eve to do the
work. They said at that time they could take the system down for an hour.

Me and the guys I worked with would often work through the night to get a customer ready to go the next day. It was anything from mechanical, electrical ,electronic , computer, telecom, HVAC and all kinds of installations.. I worked with a bunch of guys from multiple crafts who were a one stop shopping group for service, repair, remodel and installation. We hired each other depending on what needed to be done. We were all in the same boat. We were too disabled to hold a 9 to 5 job but not lazy and too damn stubborn to ask for any government assistance. I qualified for disability payments for 25 years before I became too sick to work anymore. I didn't want a government handout, I wanted work for what I got and I still want to work but now I can't and it's extremely frustrating. I get angry when I hear people whining that they can't find a job. Me and the guys I worked with went looking for work and when word got around about our skillset, we didn't have to look for work, it came looki

ng for us. There seems to be an uptick in service work in the last few years which I believe indicates an improving economy. That's why I'm so fraking frustrated because there's a ton of work I'm missing out on. I'm going to but my braces on again today and see how far I can travel in my walker. I hope to soon be able to put racing stripes on that insult to mobility. o_O

[8~{} Uncle Gimpy Monster

In my situation my knees were in bad shape but I held on as long as I
could and only got them replaced when I got down to 15 minutes of
standing time.

I was 63 and though I got disability until my 66th birthday, I was old
enough to get Social Security anyway.

Considering I worked a total of 45 years and considering I took two sick
days in the 38 years I was on my "real" job...I did not feel like a bum
for taking disability.

A friend of mine recently retired due to disability and he won't take
it. In some ways I think he's a fool, but in other's...since he chose to
take up smoking again after he had kicked the habit...then ruined his
lungs...maybe he just feels guilty.

One of the guys was a master carpenter and cabinet maker who grew up in a cabinet shop so he knew a little bit about wood. He lost a lung to cancer but couldn't put the cigarettes down. He hid his smoking from me, my brother, his wife, his daughters and his sisters because he knew we'd chew him out for it. He passed away in his sleep at age 71 during the week of the last job we were doing. O_o

[8~{} Uncle Wood Monster